PDA

View Full Version : SH4 and SH4 Gold Edition

sbrenn01
05-16-14, 02:34 PM
What are the differences (besides the cost :haha:?

I've been playing Pacific Fleet 2.0 on my Android device and it's got me wanting more than limited controls on a 3x5" screen.

I've read here that SH5 is very difficult compared to SH4 and figure that I can always get SH5 once more of the issues have been addressed, it looks like SH4 is "polished" and working really well.

Now I am trying to figure out what makes SH4 Gold the better choice.

Any and all responses welcome, I'm interested to hear what you folk have to say about all of it: SH4, SH$ gold and SH5.

Thank you, I'm off to clean the head...the scuppers got jammed and the place is a real disaster area :har:

I'll be aft..!

relfin
05-16-14, 03:36 PM
Silent Hunter 4 Gold includes the U-Boat Missions expansion pack.

Sailor Steve
05-16-14, 04:29 PM
As above. The U-boat pack might or might not be something you want, but it is also known as patch 1.5, and fixes several problems in the game. Most of the better mods are made for "Gold" and won't work with the 1.4 basic version.

THEBERBSTER
05-16-14, 06:04 PM
There is nothing wrong with SH5 if you don’t try to run before you can walk.

There are plenty of Subbers here to help and and look after you.

Including this.

Link to my SH5 post:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Phrozin
05-16-14, 08:14 PM
What are the differences (besides the cost :haha:?

I've been playing Pacific Fleet 2.0 on my Android device and it's got me wanting more than limited controls on a 3x5" screen.

I've read here that SH5 is very difficult compared to SH4 and figure that I can always get SH5 once more of the issues have been addressed, it looks like SH4 is "polished" and working really well.

Now I am trying to figure out what makes SH4 Gold the better choice.

Any and all responses welcome, I'm interested to hear what you folk have to say about all of it: SH4, SH$ gold and SH5.

Thank you, I'm off to clean the head...the scuppers got jammed and the place is a real disaster area :har:

I'll be aft..!

Yup, only difference is the patch update to 1.5 and u-boat missions are already included and installed. Also for alot of the bigger mods you will need to have the 1.5 version of SH4 anyway. As for SH5, no I wouldn't say it's any harder then SH4, just takes some time to get used to it because of the different interface. As with all SH's player made mods/patches make the games playable and exceptional at what they do and SH5 is no different in that regard. Again only difference between SH5 and SH4 are the sheer amount of mods/patches one uses to get to that point.

Thankfully though modders have been putting mods into "packs" so it's just one install like Wolves from the Deep (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211311) and Wolves of Steel (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703). As long as you don't enable real navigation until you learn the ropes of the layout, you would be perfectly fine i think.

Oh and SH5 uses Uplay to launch SH5 and sync games with the server. Alot of people despise that, I however don't mind. It's actually made making my Multiple SH5 installs application alot easier! plus on a whole it's about as unobtrusive a DRM as I could imagine.

Eichhörnchen
08-16-14, 10:15 AM
Silent Hunter 4 Gold includes the U-Boat Missions expansion pack.

Yes, except my Gold edn. has US Campaign & shorts plus German Campaign, but NO German War Patrols or Quicks; I'm still trying to find out why these are absent...

THEBERBSTER
08-16-14, 05:06 PM
My Gold Edition DVD is the same.

Do you not use the Operation Monsun mod for the German Campaigns?

Eichhörnchen
08-16-14, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tip, duly noted in log; I am completely new to all this and, as yet, quite weak and unworthy, so have downloaded no mods whatsoever so far. Is this mod maybe going to do something wonderful? I'm not being lazy, I just don't know where to look yet...

THEBERBSTER
08-16-14, 05:59 PM
Hi Eichhornchen

These are my mods for U.S. boats

TMOwTw 2.50
wTw 2.50 Max Optics with Crosshair
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
Eye Patch for TMO v1.7
Bigger Better Protractors
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Stop The Shouting
Pacific Sound Mod

If you need any help just send me a PM

Peter

Sailor Steve
08-16-14, 08:17 PM
Is this mod maybe going to do something wonderful? I'm not being lazy, I just don't know where to look yet...
SH4 U-Boats gives you a Pacific U-boat campaign that starts in 1943. This was called Operation Monsun, and gives you Type IX u-boats to play with. The Op Monsun mod, on the other hand, gives you the Atlantic full-war campaign starting in 1939 and lets you run all four main u-boat types: II, VII, IX and XXI.

Eichhörnchen
08-17-14, 05:20 AM
Luvvly Jubbly... thanks, Steve, that will do nicely. But I still get the sneaking feeling there's yet something missing from my program... I'm going away to have another look.

Eichhörnchen
08-17-14, 05:23 AM
Hi Eichhornchen

These are my mods for U.S. boats

TMOwTw 2.50
wTw 2.50 Max Optics with Crosshair
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
Eye Patch for TMO v1.7
Bigger Better Protractors
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Stop The Shouting
Pacific Sound Mod

If you need any help just send me a PM

Peter

Thanks, TheB... duly noted

Eichhörnchen
08-18-14, 12:16 PM
Just found a review online confirming that there are no German War Patrols or Quick Missions in the expansion; I'll stop banging on about this now, I promise. Thanks, all...