PDA

View Full Version : Steam Version, Resolutions, and Fonts

xptical
05-14-14, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

I run all my games from my Home Theater PC (HTPC). This outputs to a 42" monitor on my entertainment center. I sit back on the couch and do most of my gaming.

First off, what is the current version of the game? It reports 1.3 in-game, but it may or may not be 1.4. If I install Steam's U-Boat Missions, I have been told the game patches to the latest version. Can I install UBM and still play the American campaign?

I have set the resolution to 1280x720. I don't think this is working. The game starts, but it does not fill the monitor. It's maybe an inch on each side from using 100% of my screen. What do the other numbers mean? I think one is refresh, but the other is a mystery to me.

Finally, in any resolution, the fonts are too small to see from my couch. Are there any font mods or a way to tweak the default fonts?

Thanks all.

depthtok33l
05-14-14, 06:10 PM
"Steamer" here as well. I signed up in this forum for the very same reason, version confusion. Silent Hunter 4 by itself on Steam is version 1.3 while the actual SH4 version by itself should be 1.4. I don't know why Steam does not have that update. If you install UBM, it will upgrade it to 1.5 which is the latest version of the game and where most mods are based on.

With regards to UBM and American Campaign, yes you can still play the American Campaign, UBM just adds an option for a German Campaign in the Pacific and some fixes for glitches and bugs in-game.

I'll leave the resolution and the fonts problem to the others as I can't, up 'til now, figure out how to play on windowed mode :rotfl2:.

Goodluck,
:Kaleun_Salute:

xptical
05-14-14, 08:13 PM
Steam can't release a patch that Ubi never sent to them...

Anyway, I installed UBM and it's now reporting V1.5.

As for fonts, there is a section in "menu_1024_768.ini" that defines the fonts used:

[Fonts]
Fonts=24
Font0=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPHunt26.tga
Font1=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPCond14.tga
Font3=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPHunt38.tga
Font4=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPHunt12.tga
Font5=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPHunt15.tga
Font6=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPSmall.tga
Font7=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPPencil12.tga
Font10=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPArhi24.tga
Font11=DATA/Menu/Fonts/ShellsNr.tga
Font13=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPCond18.tga
Font14=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPCond12.tga
Font15=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPCond9.tga
Font16=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPBro20.tga
Font17=DATA/Menu/Fonts/FPBro100.tga
Font18=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Agency_12.tga
Font19=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Agency_16.tga
Font20=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Agency_20.tga
Font21=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Agency_24.tga
Font22=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Agency_28.tga
Font23=DATA/Menu/Fonts/Chalk.dds

If you parse the rest of the file, you see sections calling back for "font13" and so on.

In any event, the hard-coded fonts probably can't be changed without completely breaking the UI. Too bad *most* game designers think only of a fellow sitting 20" from a standard computer monitor.