PDA

View Full Version : What choosing poverty looks like...

Wolferz
05-10-14, 06:42 PM
This Oregonian gentleman has it going on.:up:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/photo/what-choosing-poverty-looks-n75796

:salute:

Sailor Steve
05-10-14, 07:59 PM
Pretty cool way to live. I wouldn't want to do it.

fireftr18
05-10-14, 08:26 PM
I agree with both of you. This man isn't truly living in poverty. He has chosen to live a much simpler life. All his needs are provided, and he seems to have his desires met. :up:

razark
05-10-14, 08:31 PM
Every so often, this sort of lifestyle runs through my mind. Usually followed by "if I didn't have a wife, kids, and was twenty years younger". I can understand why some people choose to live like this, and I admire the courage it must have taken to start down that road.

Sinkmore
05-10-14, 08:47 PM
I could absolutely live that way, if I could get high speed internet. And a girlfriend. Maybe the internet is possible, but the GF? No, I am trapped in the normal world.

Kptlt. Neuerburg
05-10-14, 08:50 PM
I just read this a few of minutes ago, personally I would love to do something like this at least once if I could. It does kind of put me in mind of the book Into the Wild (really good read for someone who hasn't read it).

Jimbuna
05-11-14, 05:18 AM
I admire the guy, he appears to have found the lifestyle he wants but I'm too accustomed to my family and home comforts to try anything like that.

Catfish
05-11-14, 05:24 AM
What he chose to live in is material poverty, not spiritual poverty.
If the basic needs like warmth and food are fulfilled, you have time for other things like reading.
As Erich Fromm put it, you either have, or are. (To have or to be)
If you need to buy things regularly to be happy, you have a problem.
Sometimes when i am in a super mareket and look at some even nice goods, i am very happy to think "No i will NOT buy this".

Although his lifestyle is a bit in-between, since he uses a chainsaw, a high-tech tricycle and some other things you would not be able to acquire or maintain, when the Zombie apocalypse strikes :03:

Wolferz
05-11-14, 08:13 AM
This is likely how I'll end up living when wife 2.0 passes on. Maybe even simpler. Like a tent utilized with a nomadic lifestyle.
I don't believe in owning property on this planet and I like the idea of renting property even less.
Modern convenience has become almost unaffordable for the average human being unless he chases after the almighty fiat to pay for it.
Always somebody standing there with their hand out to collect for what you consume. And way too many hands wanting to collect for services you didn't ask for.

Betonov
05-11-14, 08:17 AM
I should really look at that hut for plans.

Not as a way to live, but a forest retreat I want to build but can't afford :hmmm:

Armistead
05-11-14, 09:31 AM
He was probably married before and she got everything and he had to learn to live like this. Now he's at peace!

Wolferz
05-11-14, 10:08 AM
The most interesting thing about this story is how he either recycled or repurposed all the materials needed to build his Hobbit hole.:up:

I must confess that washing myself and my clothing in a river would be a PITA.:hmmm: I'm surprised that someone in government hasn't found fault with his lifestyle choice. Like how he disposes of bodily waste.
Here where I live, the local constabulary had sanitary sewers installed and forced all homes to hook up to it. They had a set quarterly charge for treatment for years. Until new subdivisions forced an upgrade of the treatment plant. Read... new plant. The township had to get a loan to build the thing and the loaning authority decided that the quarterly charge should be more in line with other sewer districts. Now we are forced to pay almost three times what we did before.:down:
In a big city, your sewer bill is figured by how much water you use and put into the system. Here, we draw our water from a well so it isn't metered.
They had such a problem with grey water being flushed into their system from basement drains and sumps that they started sending the sewer police to check everyone's plumbing for unauthorized input.:stare:

Armistead
05-11-14, 10:23 AM
If they send the sewer police to my house I'll tell them they need a warrant to enter.

Honestly, they're been several scams around here where people come clean cut, dressed or in some city uniform claiming to be such and such with the govt/city. They say they need to do a survey, check your lines, but try to get you outside with one person, while others sneak in and rob you blind. They come so professional with papers that people fall for.

Wolferz
05-11-14, 05:24 PM
If they send the sewer police to my house I'll tell them they need a warrant to enter.

Honestly, they're been several scams around here where people come clean cut, dressed or in some city uniform claiming to be such and such with the govt/city. They say they need to do a survey, check your lines, but try to get you outside with one person, while others sneak in and rob you blind. They come so professional with papers that people fall for.

No balls big enough on the crooklins around here because they know they'll get shot in the purloining process.:arrgh!:

Bubblehead1980
05-11-14, 10:16 PM
I see him as a man who just gave up on life and is just surviving, not living.However, if he really is happy, good for him.