PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and mods for SH5

Sunrayn
05-06-14, 12:32 AM
Played SH4 for a long time and recently got SH5.

Never used mods in SH4 but I found some for SH5 on this forum thanks to J2JonJeremy's Lets Play.

My question is about mod compatibility between Open Horizons and Better/Realistic Flotation. Both make a change to zones.cfg

Does this make them incompatible, as in, one won't work at all?

I installed OH first, then BRF and let it change the file.

Not at all familiar with how mods work in SH

If these don't play well together, is there an alternative to BRF that will work with Open Horizons? I can't stand the vanilla ship sinking rules.

Defiance
05-06-14, 03:29 AM
Hiya,

Welcome Aboard

Been many years now since i played sh4, anyways .........

Off the top of my head BRF doesn't like FX update

So for me, i would try and use the base mod FX 0.0.22 with whatever flavour addon mod in FX you require

Some mods will say is it ok to overwrite x in another mod, sometimes it's just a readme or something in a folder but not exactly the same specific item, most is common sense (mine's been lacking this last month)

Have a read on this page http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804&highlight=Theberbster%27s+enabled+mods&page=3

That will give you a good idea of sequence and also help you along the way as to which mods maybe of use to you

Then start from the page one and read the whole 9yrds You will be enlightened i'm sure

You deffo need to read up in the above about TDW generic patcher and his options viewer, the patcher is basicly a patch that fixes stuff ubisoft never even thought about or ever wanted to do with the time/money constraints on the release

Any Probs just Post

Lots willing to help :up:

Sailor Steve
05-06-14, 10:30 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

ReallyDedPoet
05-06-14, 11:07 AM
Welcome to SUBSIM :up:

Aktungbby
05-06-14, 12:41 PM
Sunrayn!:Kaleun_Salute:

Sunrayn
05-06-14, 01:08 PM
Thanks much for the warm welcome.

Since I am one of the poor souls who have the Steam version, by choice, mods that change the .exe are not an option.

I have been poring over the boards for the past week and coming to grips with how mods work. If I understand correctly, zone.cfg files are specific to ships so if a mod adds new ships, it needs that zone.cfg making any other mod that changes just the parts of an existing ship incompatible.

If that's the case, OH2 lite may be a better option as it doesn't add ships.

Defiance
05-06-14, 01:54 PM
Hi again,

I don't know how much the disc sh5 costs where you are, but if you get well into the sim, you should really consider the disc version

With the generic patcher from tdw it adds/fixes so much to the sim

I cannot imagine now not having the patcher, and it just keeps getting better and better

Food for thought

Cheers

Sunrayn
05-06-14, 02:21 PM
I gave up on hard copy versions when I reached the age where I was questioning just 'what did I come into this room for again?' :haha: That, and I have one of those 'rare' wives that WILL move something if she doesn't think it belongs there, without telling me just where she moved it.

I did get OH lite working with BRF, UI mod, Critical Hits and Damage Assessment.

Still going over the mods here looking for more as I have a 64bit system with 18gigs of ram, I7-930 and a GTX465.

Aktungbby
05-06-14, 03:37 PM
I gave up on hard copy versions when I reached the age where I was questioning just 'what did I come into this room for again?' :haha: That, and I have one of those 'rare' wives that WILL move something if she doesn't think it belongs there, without telling me just where she moved it. As opposed to those of us who can't remember where we put the screw driver or pliers; and, upon finding it ...can't then remember what we were doing with it! :doh: My wife moves the tools on me so I'll get in a 'workout'!:O: Remember rule1: the leading cause of death is 'other people'; usually your inept physician or spouse:oops:...just ask Michael Jackson or any Roman emperor of old!:yep: :()1: You'll fit in well here at :subsim:!

THEBERBSTER
05-06-14, 05:46 PM
A warm welcome “Sunrayn“ to the Subsim family.:subsim:

You will always find someone here to help you.:)

Link to my SH5 post::salute:

STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS & HOW TO DO IT

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Barf is not compatible so do not use it.:/\\!!

Sunrayn
05-06-14, 08:03 PM
Is there a mod that does the same as BRF that I should be using?

Also, I installed DarkWraith's UI mod, which I loved the first time I saw it ingame except, I seem to have lost the...hmm..what are they called..little white 1,2,3 dots on the map when you line up a torpedo shot.

Followed the directions on the post, moving only folder 3 over, is there something else I needed?

*eta* Got the 1,2,3 button figured out. Working other mods around BRF as I cannot find another mod that does what it does.

Jimbuna
05-07-14, 03:52 AM
Welcome to SubSim Sunrayn :sunny:

THEBERBSTER
05-07-14, 04:07 AM
Torpedo solution lines, circles etc, can all be set up permantly in TDW’s Option File Editor.

This saves you having to do it manually on the maps each time you load the game.

If you only play with ‘Auto TDC’ then make sure the ‘Torpedo Manual Option’ in ‘Game Settings’ is not ticked.

If you read the B.A.R.F. document there is nothing going on that is essential other than the flooding times.

The mod R.S.D. will take this to a much higher game play level.

‘OH II v2.5’ with ‘TDW NewUi’ has taken the game to new levels and are regularly updated, it just depends on how difficult or immersive you want to play it.

The beauty of this is that you can make that choice.

B.A.R.F. was good in its day 4 years ago when the options were more limited.