PDA

View Full Version : SH1 is working!

scott_c2911
05-05-14, 05:14 AM
I didnt know where else to post this as there is no Silent Hunter 1 forum anymore. Anyway I have managed to find lodged away in some box somewhere at my mom and dads house after more than a decade my copy of Silent Hunter 1. The game that started it all for me with sub simming. We all know it wasn't going to work on XP so why bother when you have Silent Hunter 3 and 4. Well last night I did bother just for the nostalgia and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I used D-Fend Reloaded which is DOS Box 0.74 with a simple frontend UI so people who are not literate in DOS commands can get on with it. The game installed flawlessly. The game didnt run initially due to it needing the CD but this was also fixed by copying the BUD folder on the CD into the the C:\SILENT directory. Then just change shpath.ini (also found in C:\SILENT directory) to read exactly as follows:
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\
Configured the sound with the default settings and away I went. I'm in command of the USS Shark I think. I'm heading out towards Southern Japan. I have to say though it makes me appreciate Silent Hunter 3 and the later games so much more. The graphics were cutting edge for the time but now they definitely look dated. Controls are not as good either but I remember it being so much easier. Nevermind its still a classic.

GreyBeard
05-05-14, 07:31 AM
Holy smokes! It works! Thank you for this! :yeah:
Now I have to dig up my copy of Panzer Commander and see if it can be made to function too.

:salute:

Pisces
05-06-14, 11:23 AM
It's a bit obscure, but there is a forum for legacy subsims:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173

More posts about SH1 can be found there.

scott_c2911
05-06-14, 12:31 PM
Thanks pisces I will follow the link. Im sorry for posting it here but I honestly couldnt find anywhere else. I also thought it was relevant just for nostalgias sake.

Sailor Steve
05-06-14, 12:33 PM
Moved to proper forum

Sailor Steve
05-06-14, 12:35 PM
Yep, I still have SH1 (CE) on my computer and still play it from time to time. Do you use Hawk's wonderful mods?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=42

Canonicus
05-07-14, 09:20 AM
You really have to have Hawks utilites to make SH1 even better.
This is what sh4 or 5 should have been like....but we got....
well...you know the rest....

aanker
05-09-14, 03:43 PM
Kim Ronhof's Tools were inspired by Hawks utilities and do more. I have, with permission, uploaded Kim's Torpedo Change Tool, aka "Multipurpose Tool" at least twice - it keeps disappearing though........

Some things that it does:

This Tool lets you change data in the SH data files.

It’s fairly simple to use, just follow the numbers – press buttons and choose "things" by the number (start with 1 !).

You can change the following data :
The Patrol area.
The Submarine type and name.
The Salmon/Sargo submarine specifications. Warning see note on use !!
The gun position (for or aft) – but only on fleet submarines.
The crew experience level.
The torpedo load (type of torpedoes, and distribution into tubes and racks)
You can reload fuel & ammo for the gun
The departure date

There is also his SH1 report generator that gathers patrol data.

Anyway, I've tried.

Happy Hunting!

Sailor Steve
05-09-14, 04:59 PM
I have, with permission, uploaded Kim's Torpedo Change Tool, aka "Multipurpose Tool" at least twice - it keeps disappearing though........
I'm not sure why that would happen. Maybe I can help.

aanker
05-09-14, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure why that would happen. Maybe I can help.
Thanks, perhaps they were mistaken for duplicates of his SH4 tools... logical, as they have similar functions in both games. We used his 'tools' to conduct our PTC campaign.

Sure was fortunate for us that Kim had programing skills.

I'll find them on my HD and be sure to specify SH1 in the upload notes.

Happy Hunting!

captcrane
08-05-14, 09:29 AM
I have shce running on my win 8.1 laptop. Running it in DOSBOX. Works perfectly. I had been running it flawlessly on my xp computer for years. You might want to check this link out http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/silent-hunter-windows-vista-dosbox.shtml I gotta say though Silent Hunter 4 is awesome especially with the Mods on this site and the help from all the good people who post on this site

Eichhörnchen
08-23-14, 01:43 AM
It's nice to be in the company of a bunch of guys who're happy to retro-game like this: you get odd looks elsewhere if you admit to enjoying an old classic now and then...

Stefan-C
10-29-14, 03:53 PM
Hi guys. New here.

I have a sh1 question.
I have windows 7 32 bit.
Installed dosbox .74
Got sh1 full on my HD.

Problem is, I get sound from the intro movies but no sound during gameplay.
I've searched the net but I have yet to find a solution (no pun) ;)

Any ideas?

Pisces
10-29-14, 05:30 PM
Just a wild guess. It's been too long since I installed a game like this. Did you configure the soundcard settings (soundblaster adress, interrupt, dma) Usually you need to run some program in dos to get that done.

Like this install tutorial:

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/silent-hunter-windows-vista-dosbox.shtml

Stefan-C
10-29-14, 05:35 PM
Yes, that was the tutorial I followed to understand that I needed dosbox.

I followed it a few times but I keep getting the same result.

Aktungbby
10-29-14, 07:07 PM
Stefan-C! :Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
10-30-14, 07:48 AM
Welcome to SubSim Stefan :sunny:

ReallyDedPoet
10-30-14, 01:29 PM
Welcome :sunny:

Pisces
10-30-14, 05:33 PM
Yes, that was the tutorial I followed to understand that I needed dosbox.

I followed it a few times but I keep getting the same result.Typing error in the ini files perhaps. I don't know what else could be the cause. I'll try to install it myself in a few weeks. I'll report how well I venture with it

Stefan-C
11-03-14, 04:23 PM
Thank you all!

I checked the ini files a couple of times,
no errors there.

Stefan-C
11-16-14, 07:43 AM
Well guys, I tried everything. Nothing is working.
I uninstalled the game, it's not worth playing with no sound.

aanker
11-16-14, 11:48 AM
Follow this procedure and SHCE will run (99% of the time):Silent Hunter Commander's Edition

How to Run it with DOSBox in

Windows XP, Windows Vista, & Windows 7 ... and 8.

http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/silent-hunter-windows-vista-dosbox.shtml (http://www.subsowespac.org/silent_hunter_mods.shtml)

Sorry, I didn't realize that this topic was active or I would have jumped in sooner.

Major Johnson
05-14-15, 12:44 PM
Saw this thread and found it odd that just this past weekend I found my old SH CE cd and was able to get it to install and run via DOSBox. I've been getting a hankering for some subbing as of late, like someone said, SH1 was what started it all for me back in the day! I'm definitely gonna download that mod by Hawk and see the changes.

And I know this is a bit late, but Stephan-C never indicated he resolved his sound issue. I had a similar issue on my XP box with the Tank Sim "Tiger Hunt" a few months back and resolved it by lowering the sound acceleration slider to the lowest setting. The game ran fine after that.

Major Johnson
05-25-15, 08:44 AM
So after installing PA and getting it to run correctly, I find that in SH1 when I try to activate the Charts by either pressing F5 or clicking on Charts I get a CTD. Anyone else ever come across this??

Pisces
05-27-15, 06:00 PM
Iirc there is a text file or ini file with file paths. Maybe that one isn't resembling the installation on your system.

There was also a specific map that could cause a CTD (North or South Japan iirc) but that was only when you specifically clicked it, I think You had to replace it with a fixed file. It's probably in the legacy downloads of Subsim.

This one is it:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=502

Onkel Neal
05-27-15, 07:42 PM
I didnt know where else to post this as there is no Silent Hunter 1 forum anymore. Anyway I have managed to find lodged away in some box somewhere at my mom and dads house after more than a decade my copy of Silent Hunter 1. The game that started it all for me with sub simming. We all know it wasn't going to work on XP so why bother when you have Silent Hunter 3 and 4. Well last night I did bother just for the nostalgia and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I used D-Fend Reloaded which is DOS Box 0.74 with a simple frontend UI so people who are not literate in DOS commands can get on with it. The game installed flawlessly. The game didnt run initially due to it needing the CD but this was also fixed by copying the BUD folder on the CD into the the C:\SILENT directory. Then just change shpath.ini (also found in C:\SILENT directory) to read exactly as follows:
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\
Configured the sound with the default settings and away I went. I'm in command of the USS Shark I think. I'm heading out towards Southern Japan. I have to say though it makes me appreciate Silent Hunter 3 and the later games so much more. The graphics were cutting edge for the time but now they definitely look dated. Controls are not as good either but I remember it being so much easier. Nevermind its still a classic.

This is the place for SH1 threads, good work and thanks for posting! :salute: Posted on the Subsim main page. (http://www.subsim.com/index.php)

Major Johnson
05-28-15, 08:24 PM
Yes I already have the ini edited as shown, and I did copy those files as suggested by Pieces, but I'm still getting a CTD. I just have a feeling it's got to do with the PA or SH2 install that I have on the same drive. I really don't have the time this weekend to experiment with installing/uninstalling.

aanker
05-29-15, 11:33 AM
Yes I already have the ini edited as shown, and I did copy those files as suggested by Pieces, but I'm still getting a CTD. I just have a feeling it's got to do with the PA or SH2 install that I have on the same drive. I really don't have the time this weekend to experiment with installing/uninstalling.
I have SHCE, PA, and SH4 v1.5 running on this Win 7 64 bit, in different directories on the same drive. SHCE runs through DOSBox, and Pacific Aces (SH II) and SH4 run through their respective Windows installers. I have never had a conflict.

Ruling that out leaves the Operating system, the graphics card, and the DOSBox SH1 configuration as main suspects for your issue. Are you using a frontend for DOSBox on SHCE?

So, what Windows operating system and graphics card do you have? Also, there are many instructions for installing SHCE in old posts on SUBSIM in this forum, on other websites on the the internet, and I'm curious what install procedure instructions you used on DOSBox to get SHCE running - if any?

Maybe you're a computer Guru and the installs were easy, and you're familiar with 'everything'.... I don't know : )

I know, so many questions, I'm sorry.

Pisces
05-29-15, 11:50 AM
This is the place for SH1 threads, good work and thanks for posting! :salute: Posted on the Subsim main page. (http://www.subsim.com/index.php)shpath.ini:

Duh, first post of the thread. :/\\!!

rowi58
05-30-15, 12:37 AM
I have Win 8.1 64-Bit with 16 GB RAM and a AMD R9 with 4 GB VRAM - and SilentHinter(1) is running perfectly in the "DosBox" (http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1). It is still a superb subsim, better than SH4 (exept graphics, o.k. that is old DOS stuff). So for me in decending order it's SilentHunterIII, SilentHunter (1), SilentHunter2. ...

Greetings
rowi58

Major Johnson
05-31-15, 05:54 PM
I have SHCE, PA, and SH4 v1.5 running on this Win 7 64 bit, in different directories on the same drive. SHCE runs through DOSBox, and Pacific Aces (SH II) and SH4 run through their respective Windows installers. I have never had a conflict.

Ruling that out leaves the Operating system, the graphics card, and the DOSBox SH1 configuration as main suspects for your issue. Are you using a frontend for DOSBox on SHCE?

So, what Windows operating system and graphics card do you have? Also, there are many instructions for installing SHCE in old posts on SUBSIM in this forum, on other websites on the the internet, and I'm curious what install procedure instructions you used on DOSBox to get SHCE running - if any?

Maybe you're a computer Guru and the installs were easy, and you're familiar with 'everything'.... I don't know : )

I know, so many questions, I'm sorry.

Questions are good!! It's better than no response at all!! :)

DOS Box: Yes

Operating System: Win7 Pro
Graphics card is listed in my sig.

I wouldn't say I'm a computer guru, but I have built my own pcs since my first compaq with Win95. Building your own is cheaper and you know what you got. I've never had a problem with Nvidia cards.

I'm sure my problem is something stupid.

akula65
05-31-15, 07:10 PM
Per McBeck's site circa 2007:

Bug: SH has locked up on me several times if I go to the chart screen while at the periscope screen with the ship ID book pulled up. I've never locked it up any other way. This bug cost me a shot at the Yamato and a number of other ships. It's hard sometimes to remember to change back to the gauges before leaving the periscope screen when you're closing a ship and every second counts...https://web.archive.org/web/20070610050944/http://www.silenthunter.dk/shi/bugs/bugs.htm

aanker
05-31-15, 08:17 PM
So after installing PA and getting it to run correctly, I find that in SH1 when I try to activate the Charts by either pressing F5 or clicking on Charts I get a CTD. Anyone else ever come across this??
-
Questions are good!! It's better than no response at all!! :)

DOS Box: Yes

Operating System: Win7 Pro
Graphics card is listed in my sig.

I wouldn't say I'm a computer guru, but I have built my own pcs since my first compaq with Win95. Building your own is cheaper and you know what you got. I've never had a problem with Nvidia cards.

I'm sure my problem is something stupid.
You're not running both SHCE & PA at the same time and Alt Tabbing between them, ------ "no"....

Were there re-boots between installing the two (3) games (SHCE, SH II & PA) and after installing the SH II & PA patches, to clear the computer?

I can't figure out why pressing F5 makes SHCE CTD...

A friend has seen everything SHCE, I'm going to ask him if he has ever heard of this.

Edit -
We both are thinking that as long as we have played SHCE, neither of us can remember it crashing on any operating system from DOS 3.11 through the Windows versions, to today.

So, it seems there is probably a corrupt install & configuration of each. Recommend uninstalling SHCE & DOSBox, then a fresh install of DOSBox and then reinstall SHCE doing a FULL install.

Major Johnson
06-06-15, 09:27 AM
FYI, I reinstalled SHCE last night and now all is well. No more CTD from pressing F5 or clicking on Charts in the control room. I promptly started a career and got my ass hammered by 5 destroyers and 2 dive bombers while trying to pull off a photo mission in daylight. I'm a little rusty to say the least!!

aanker
06-06-15, 11:06 AM
FYI, I reinstalled SHCE last night and now all is well. No more CTD from pressing F5 or clicking on Charts in the control room. I promptly started a career and got my ass hammered by 5 destroyers and 2 dive bombers while trying to pull off a photo mission in daylight. I'm a little rusty to say the least!!
lol.... welcome back Captain. Excellent news you're up and running.

SHCE is still at the top of my list. I have modded my installs of SH4 to be close to actual reports, history, and SHCE when SHCE has the specs right.

I recall the DD's in SHCE, ASW for hours, being caught in the 'wagon wheel', and using depth and a low profile to eventually elude. I miss that action.

Happy Hunting!

Trool323
06-26-15, 03:52 AM
Awesome! I went down memory lane for about an hour myself tonight thanks to this post. I racked up 70,000 tons plus in one patrol and got bored. Still remember all the quick keys. lol. I still have all of hawks old add-ons to. Anyways, its easier than ever to play SH1 now on a newer system. We have to remember its 20 yrs old. SH4 gets a lot of hate from some, but for me its the holy grail after you mod it the way that you wish.

Stoli151
07-11-15, 10:45 AM
I have SH1 installed on my tablet using android OS. All you need is the dosbox app for android(about $3) and be familiar with using dos commands and it's fairly easy to do. So now I take SH1 wherever I want. I also have Master of Orion 2, the original X-Com, the original Bards tale 1,2,and 3 installed on my ASUS tab. I'm sure you could do this with a phone as well but I would only do it on a phone with a very large screen like a Samsung note or similar.

scrapser
07-13-15, 01:00 PM
Nice to see SH1 still has traction. For myself I have my copy installed on a home-built Win98SE computer along with a lot of other great sims and games from that era. I've always considered SH1 to be a direct descendant of MicroProse's "Silent Service". They both play nearly identically in terms of the controls and command screens and SH1 obviously has so much more built into it. Silent Service for the Commodore 64 was my first computer game back in 1984. 31 years ago!

Julian
07-24-15, 04:35 PM
I clicked Pisces link to SUBSOWESPAC - SHCE How to Run it with DOSBox.
I printed it out.

I have Silent Hunter Commander's Edition.
I also got the latest version of DosBox 0.74.

I followed the instructions to bring up the Command Prompt in Windows.

I placed the CD in the Cd drive and entered the current drive which was D:

Entered the line - Install X:
The Cd began to install. Just when it started to install the files,
it stopped and came up with following message:

UNSUPPORTED 16-Bit Application
The program or feature "\??\D:\SH\INSTALL.EXE" cannot start or run due to
incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software
vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible is available.
OK

I had a previous message referring to both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows.

How can I get around to changing the application??

Thanks.

aanker
07-24-15, 08:15 PM
Did you install SHCE to a folder off the root C: and not into Program Files??

Should look like this:

C: Hard Drive
C:\GAMES
C:\GAMES\SILENT ......... #2. below:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/ptcbupers/SHCE/Install_Directories_zps3jxvvpyt.jpg
- (graphic from subsowespac.org)

You should be starting SHCE by using DOSBox. Did you double check the settings and try to install SHCE again?

That is a strange error message I have not heard of before. So many have succeeded installing to Vista, Win 7, and even Win 8.x. I would try the install again.

Julian
07-25-15, 12:55 AM
When I bring up the Command Prompt, this is what it reads:
C:\users\user>

Whether this is a problem???
I tried to change to C:\, but it still comes up with "users\users" attached.
It recognizes the subdirectory.
That's as far as it goes until I try to install.

Other option for SH.
=============
I have come across another option regarding Silent Hunter 1.
Hopefully it will work.

When my old Windows XP computer died, a few years ago, I had, at that time, installed a lot of Dos and Windows games on the hard drive.
A friend of mine was able to save the hard drive and hook it up to my Windows 7 computer.
Now I have access to all the games and programs I had installed on it.

In my search, I found that I had installed Silent Hunter Commander Edition, along with other Dos/Window games, like Great Naval Battles North Atlantic 1939 -1943, and Wolfpack, etc.

With the the full install of Silent Hunter on my old hard drive, what steps would I need to do to get it running through DosBox???

aanker
07-25-15, 11:02 AM
............ Other option for SH.
=============
Hopefully it will work.

When my old Windows XP computer died, a few years ago, I had, at that time, installed a lot of Dos and Windows games on the hard drive.
A friend of mine was able to save the hard drive and hook it up to my Windows 7 computer.

In my search, I found that I had installed Silent Hunter Commander Edition, along with other Dos/Window games, like Great Naval Battles North Atlantic 1939 -1943, and Wolfpack, etc.

With the the full install of Silent Hunter on my old hard drive, what steps would I need to do to get it running through DosBox???
This is GREAT. I have saved my old HD's too.

You have administrator privileges, right? In Windows can you get to your C:\ drive?

Make a folder on your C:\ drive called C:\GAMES or C:\SUBGAMES - whatever. It won't conflict with the Windows \games folder so don't worry about that.

Access your old Hard drive and drag the SHCE SILENT folder over to your new \GAMES folder. I hope it is a Full install, that's important.

All you need to do is drag the BUD movies over from the CD if they are not on your install, modify the *.ini files, and configure DOSBox.

Happy Hunting!

Julian
07-26-15, 01:46 AM
Many thanks..

Well!!! Got Silent Hunter 1 running and looks good.

Next question is to configure the sound.

I have a Realtek HD Audio sound card instead of the SoundBlaster.

I'm looking at the Dig.ini and Mdi.ini files on the Instructions.

What do I need to do or change in these files?? regarding my sound card.

Also, need to set the screen resolutions for the game. Screen comes up small looking....but playable.

aanker
07-26-15, 11:17 AM
Many thanks..

Well!!! Got Silent Hunter 1 running and looks good.

Fantastic!

Next question is to configure the sound.

I have a Realtek HD Audio sound card instead of the SoundBlaster.

I'm looking at the Dig.ini and Mdi.ini files on the Instructions.

What do I need to do or change in these files?? regarding my sound card.

Also, need to set the screen resolutions for the game. Screen comes up small looking....but playable.Follow the instructions and configure the Dig.ini and Mid.ini as shown in the 'How to Install SHCE using DOSBox' tutorial you are using.

I'm guessing you were successful in dragging the BUD folder over and editing the no CD fix for your install - or maybe you already did that no CD 'fix' on your old rig; editing SHPath.ini:

DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
BUD =BUD\
SAVE =SAVE\

Next is to configure DOSBox to run SHCE full screen, and with sound.

Some run it through a Front End, some just run it using DOSBox alone.

In the distant past as well as recently in this Classic Subsims forum I have seen other posts describe both methods - also described on subsowespac.org if you are using that tutorial.

Julian
07-27-15, 10:47 AM
An odd situation here....

In the Menu of Silent Hunter 1, there is a button called INTERVIEWS.
It takes you to the screen with videos and interviews by sub commanders explaining various topics on Submarine warfare and controls.

When I play these, I get sound coming from my speakers and listen to their reports. The sound works here.

BUT!! no sound in the game play portion of the sims.

The Realtek sound card doesn't give too much detail as does the Sound Blaster with all its settings as shown in the instructions like drivers, IO_ADDR, DMA and IRQ.

I got the Full screen setup no problem.
Just a matter of sound.

You mentioned running through Frontend or DosBox.
What are the procedures with these two??

One of these have to work.

Thanks again.

Julian
07-27-15, 08:09 PM
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\

I have a Realtek HD Audio card. Having problems setting it up to play Silent Hunter 1.

What Default settings did you do or use to make it play sound??
I tried to make changes in the DIG and MDI FILES, but doesn't recognize or play.

julian

Julian
07-27-15, 09:51 PM
I just downloaded the Mission 6-pack mod for SH1.
It says to Extract into your Silent/Custom/ directory.
:hmmm:
Where is the Silent/Custom/directory in SH1 located or listed??:hmm2:

captcrane
07-28-15, 09:10 AM
Ahoy Julian It is right where it says it is. I have silent hunter 1 installed exactly how it is described in the dosbox instructions on my C drive. So if you did it the same way go to the drive the game is on then Games folder then silent folder and then Presto you can see your Custom folder. After you unzip files to custom folder start the game. select missions screen and you will see a spot for custom missions

Julian
07-28-15, 09:51 PM
Seems My version of Silent Hunter 1 is missing something.

I thought I had Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3 installed on my old games hard drive.

I could still be wrong.

There is no Custom game directory for the mods.

When I got the game running, I checked the Menu selections.

I pressed the CREDITS button and watched the credits scroll up.

It started with title SILENT HUNTER followed by the version - V1.00.:hmmm:
If Version 1.00 is what I got, then I'm out of luck.

I got the CD of Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3. But I'm having a compatibility problem with Windows 7, regarding 64-bit /32-bit versions.
I got this posted in an earlier post here.

This is the only one I remember buying. Maybe I didn't do a complete install. There are still the 3 Patrol Disks included on the disc. These should have been installed all together.
I don't see any extras in folders or files.

So!!! As it seems....I'm not sure where I stand with this dilemma.

I was wondering, if possible, a Copy and Paste procedure like we do transferring files to a memory stick or external hard drive, whether it could be done here on Subsims forum.

If you have the Silent Hunter Commander Edition v1.3 installed on your computer, would it be possible to copy and paste here, then I could copy and paste to my hard drive.

maybe It's too much to ask.

Thanks.

captcrane
07-29-15, 06:35 AM
I am running win 7 64 bit. The only way I could get it to run was to install it on a win xp computer then take the resulting folder and do what you said copy it and paste it into win 7. Then use dosbox to make it run perfectly. But that said with SH 4 there is no comparison. Sh4 is light years ahead. I am not sure about copywrite stuff. But about 8 yrs ago I was chatting with a guy from ID software about Quake 1. When he found out I was talking about the original game they let me download it for free. So that would be up to this site. The folder itself is 200 mb.

aanker
07-29-15, 11:16 AM
Ubisoft owns Silent Hunter I - SHCE now and they are very protective of the copyright.

I have a zip or rar file of my entire SHCE install from a Win ME computer that also includes the BUD folder, so I just decompress that and install it that way. I still have the SHCE CD so I'm legal with the zips installation method. Much easier : ).

Install it to a friend's pre-XP computer if you can, do the updates - patches - if you don't have SHCE, zip that SILENT folder, then unzip it to your Win 7 computer is the easiest method. Be sure to copy the BUD folder over for the no CD fix.

Regarding the 'patches'.... they ARE available. You can patch SH1 to v.2, then v.3, and then have SHCE using this upgrade method.

The patches are here at Subsim in Downloads. I have them too.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Julian
07-30-15, 12:50 AM
I downloaded the V1.3 patch for my SH1 V1.00.
I unzipped it.
Went to install it and guess what came up???
That damn Window 7 compatibility 64-bit/32-bit crap again.

It just won't let me get in to install.
Wish there was some way of disabling this Windows 7 compatibility pop up box....so I could just install straight and forward without interference.

Then there is the sound issue.
I'm looking at the instruction sheet and files, I really don't know how to setup the default settings to get sound in the game.
My old Windows XP has a Sound Blaster card in it and was much easier to setup.
But this Realtek HD Audio card, I don't know. There isn't much information as to what setup it requires.

For now I am totally frustrated in trying. I know it's only a minor problem that could be solved at the click of a button, but when a Windows program is telling you what programs you can install or not, then there is a limit to it.
I would like to go back to my old WINDOWS XP...it was USER FRIENDLY.

aanker
07-30-15, 10:51 AM
My best advice is in the post above.

If you insist, try telling it Win 98 with 32 bit, and run as Administrator. That's all I got. Sorry.

Double check you are following the instructions exactly as he lays them out in the tutorial.

Aren't you the guy with Silent Hunter Commanders Edition install on an old Hard Drive you have access to?
........ Other option for SH.
=============
Hopefully it will work.

Hook that up using the DVD wires if you don't have a blank space with wires for another drive and drag the SILENT folder over to your Win 7.

That really is all I got........

scrapser
09-06-15, 04:13 PM
I have two computers that will run SH1 (and a host of other old classics). First, I built a custom Win98SE machine from as many new parts as I could find (this included a brand new case, PSU, MOBO, RAM, and SoundBlaster 5.1 soundcard. The rest I bought from a company that specializes in finding and warehousing new but obsolete hardware from old computer inventory that was never sold.

Second, I got lucky on eBay and found a brand new factory sealed Gateway P3 computer (and Mitsubishi Diamondtron 19" monitor) with Win98SE installed. It was weird recieving the Gateway from UPS...just like the old days. I opened the boxes to find everything brand spanking new, plastic wrapped and sealed. The case even had a Microsoft sticker on it stating, "Void if removed". LOL

If you like the older games, building a legacy machine is the best first option. My custom built has a GeForce 4 Ti 256MB, plus Voodoo 2 12 meg card in SLI. It cost me around $750. The brand new Gateway which I found some months later cost me $400 complete!

Pilot_76
01-05-16, 06:03 PM
Just for the record,

If it is v1.31 and with the Mission Editor is it safe to say that I have it all? Mission packs etc? The whole thing?

:doh:

Pisces
01-05-16, 07:49 PM
1.31 is the commanders edition which should have all there is to it. But I'm not sure if there was a last patch for it, or if it was the final release.

[EDIT]According to the Subsim download section there is no official patch to be applied on top of v1.31 the commander's edition. But there is a download that fixes a map bug for the North and Southers Japan regions. If you encounter game-crashes when going there then that is also required. Simply extracting it to the DATA folder.

Wildcat
01-07-16, 04:32 PM
Not sure if anyone cares, but if you have a jailbroken iPad and you are able to find a copy of dosbox for ipad (it's remarkably difficult to find, seems development of it was stopped) you can run SH1 or almost any other DOS based game on your ipad. It's pretty slick really. SH1 makes a good game for ipad, not too processor heavy and doesn't need a lot of complicated keyboard commands while playing.

edit.. correction, it appears they've republished it, but you have to use ifunbox to transfer data files into iDOS rather than using itunes file transfer. still, it works like a charm.

aanker
01-07-16, 08:01 PM
I unzipped it.

Wish there was some way of disabling this Windows 7 compatibility pop up box....so I could just install straight and forward without interference.

I'm looking at the instruction sheet and files, I really don't know how to setup the default settings to get sound in the game.
But this Realtek HD Audio card, I don't know. There isn't much information as to what setup it requires.

For now I am totally frustrated in trying. I know it's only a minor problem that could be solved at the click of a button, but when a Windows program is telling you what programs you can install or not, then there is a limit to it.
Regarding the bolded text in your post Quote above, install to a folder other than:
Program Files or Program Files (x86). (same with SH4 & Pacific Aces) Complications arise if you install games to Program Files or Program Files (x86).

For SH V1.0 you need to install the V1.3 patch that upgrades Silent Hunter (V1.0, V1.01, V1.11 or V1.2) to V1.3. Then the V1.31 patch that upgrades Silent Hunter to SHCE. ( I have the Commanders Edition so I didn't need to patch)

Make a folder called 'My Games' and install it there. I called mine 'GAMES'. The path is C:\GAMES\SILENT

You can make a Virtual drive in Win 7 and install XP on it according to some posts I've read. I haven't used that method.

The SH1.3 and SH1.31 patches are here at Subsim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=58
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=59

Edited to clarify the versions necessary to update SH v1.0 to SH v1.31 - (not necessary if you have the Commanders Edition) and add the download links.

Pilot_76
01-08-16, 10:05 AM
My only problem is the screen.

When in the game with a resolution at full screen of 1920x1080 the time in the lower-left and the icons in the lower-right part are cut in half. I am still trying to configure using D-Fend reloaded but still no success. Anyone had the same issue??:o:o

Pilot_76
01-08-16, 10:07 AM
1.31 is the commanders edition which should have all there is to it. But I'm not sure if there was a last patch for it, or if it was the final release.

[EDIT]According to the Subsim download section there is no official patch to be applied on top of v1.31 the commander's edition. But there is a download that fixes a map bug for the North and Southers Japan regions. If you encounter game-crashes when going there then that is also required. Simply extracting it to the DATA folder.

Does this bug still happen??

NefariousKoel
02-19-16, 02:00 AM
I unzipped it.

I had the exact same issues as you. No sound other than the intro screens. My copy of Silent Hunter is from a CD-ROM with a Win95 installer for v1.00 of Silent Hunter.

Here's what I did to get it working:

The Win installer actually works in Windows7-64. So I installed it to C:\Games\Silent. Copied over the BUD files and made the previously mentioned change to SHpath.ini BUD =BUD\ At this point the game ran but I never had in-sim sounds.

The way to fix that was to install the v1.3 and v1.31 patches, kindly hosted here in Subsim's SH1 download section. Those updates are old 16-bit installers/extractors, so those EXEs will not run in a modern Windows OSes.

After unzipping the downloaded patch zips in Windows, you will need to copy & paste those files in your Silent Hunter installation folder (C:\Games\Silent for example).

From within the game's install location, drag & drop the SHV13 patch application onto your DOSbox shortcut on your desktop (I use this method to quickly start DOS programs in DOSbox). It will unpack. Then, you will have to run the PATCH.bat file and let it run for a bit to perform the update. Once the PATCH.bat file is finished, you'll be back at the C:> prompt in DOSbox so you can just enter the EXIT command to close it because it is done.

Now you'll unzip the v1.31 patch, copy the SH131 app file over to your silent hunter install folder, then drag and drop that one onto DOSbox shortcut too. It should prompt you for a Y/N permission to overwrite your SH.EXE file. Y and enter to accept. Once it's back to the C prompt, all the installation & updating is done.

Now drag and drop the SETSOUND exe onto your DOSbox shortcut to run the sound setup. For me, the Soundblaster 16 was already selected. It will be that same for you so choose that and then select the next default option that pops up too (Automatic setup iirc) and then it should say it's finished. Highlight "Done" and hit enter to finish.

Now type in SH.EXE at the C prompt to run the game. Or exit the DOSbox prompt and drag & drop the SH app file onto the DOSbox icon again if you don't feel like typing.

Should be good to go with the new updates in there! :up:

PS: My in-game sound absolutely refused to work using SH v1.00, no matter what my Sound settings. The manual values for the SB16 certainly didn't, same as yours. After patching, I didn't even have to enter the values - the game's Setsound program did it just fine.

Note: Since DOSbox is emulating older hardware & software, your actual sound card doesn't make much of a difference in this case (unless it has an issue with DOSbox itself). DOSbox is set, by default, to emulate a Soundblaster16 in it's Settings file.

Ragtimer
09-01-21, 04:06 AM
Can someone please show me in simple steps how to get SHI to run in D-Fend please?
I have it and SH1 installed but do not understand the instructions.
Thank You

Ragtimer
09-15-21, 07:24 AM
OK,Ihave got it to the stage where it requests the CD and of course ignores the CD when I insert it into the CD Drive.The problem is the I do not have the sh.ini file/folder and no matter how I look for it on the CD or the installation on the HD,I cannot see it.Could some kind person email it to me ? Thank You

Sub Penguin
04-22-22, 09:26 PM
SHCE works great!
I see some old add-ons can't be run on Win 10 but I'll be able to take care of that problem. Not sure how many people out there still playing SH1 but I'm totally enjoying it!

ChristopherTarana
04-22-22, 09:53 PM
OK,Ihave got it to the stage where it requests the CD and of course ignores the CD when I insert it into the CD Drive.The problem is the I do not have the sh.ini file/folder and no matter how I look for it on the CD or the installation on the HD,I cannot see it.Could some kind person email it to me ? Thank You

You have to copy the 10.smk file from the CD to the C:\Silent\Bud\ folder. Then it should stop asking for the CD! There is a ShPath.ini that needs editing in the original software! :up:

Christopher Tarana

maciejmad
02-21-23, 04:24 PM
Hello guys,
ho do You make photo reckon in Silent Hunter 1? Recently I received radio message about that, I went to harbor and what now?

propbeanie
02-22-23, 10:52 PM
This is one of those situations maciejmad, where the ReadMe file helps. Of course, the info is buried in the file though. I have a sheet printed out with some of the ways to complete missions and objectives. This is from the ReadMe though:
"TWO SPECIAL MISSIONS- PHOTO RECON, AND LIFE GUARD DUTY

PHOTO RECON: You will receive photo Recon missions in campaigns
via a radio transmission. In addition to the radio message a red "T" icon
will appear on the chart screen over the facilities to be photographed.
In order to successfully complete a Photo Recon Mission the sub must
move close enough to the target area. A "red" light, located in the
TBT or Periscope viewing area will indicate the sub is close enough to
take a picture. The "TAB" key is used to take the photograph. The
user will know the mission is accomplished when the "T" icon
disappears from the chart screen, which will be accompanied by a voice
and text message stating "Mission completed, sir." Scoring - Each
completed Photo Recon mission is worth 500 points at the 100%
realism setting. NOTE: Photo Recon missions can only be accomplished
during daylight hours. It is best to remain completely zoomed out (1x)
in order to locate the area that needs to be photographed.

LIFE GUARD DUTY: Like the Photo Recon mission, in campaigns,
the user will receive the orders via a radio transmission. As with the Photo
Recon mission, a red "T" icon will appear over the port that will be
bombed by American aircraft. The user can watch the airstrike in
progress while sitting off the coast of the target area. The bomber
group will show up on SD radar, and on the chart screen. After the
airstrike is finished, blue triangle icons will appear indicating the
approximate location of the downed pilots. When the pilots are
spotted the user will receive a voice and text message stating "Downed
Pilot spotted". As the sub closes within 200 yards of the downed
aviator "We're close enough for a rescue, sir!" voice message and text
message will inform the user that the pilot can be extracted. At which
time the sub must slow down to 5 knots or slower and then hit the "E"
key OR the sub can run over the pilot in order to pick him up.
Scoring- each pilot saved is worth 200 points at 100%. NOTE: Pilots
can only last a limited time in the water before being captured or
succumbing to the elements. So it is entirely up to you if one of
America's valiant sons resides with NEPTUNIS REX in his watery domain
or perishes in a prison camp.

SUB VS. SUB:
Sub vs. Sub will be encountered in the campaign as well as single
scenarios. There are three types of subs, all of which can be seen in
the ship ID book under PATROL CRAFT. NOTE: In single scenarios if the
enemy is elite, the player may find that they are being stalked first.
When firing a torpedo at a Sub do not forget to adjust the depth of the
torpedo using the TDC."
... and remember Jim, if you or any of your Impossible Mission Force are injured or captured, the Secretary will disavow your very existence...