PDA

View Full Version : Coop U-boat stations

vimza
04-20-14, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking about how a game where the players worked together in playing the same submarine would work. How many players can one put in the same sub and each one still have something worth doing. Lets say its a WWII style U-boat. I'm not sure there would be enough things to do to be fun for everyone. What possible positions could you think of in a multi player submarine game and more importantly what would be fun doing at each station.

raymond6751
04-21-14, 05:29 AM
Hi, great idea.

I'm not a multi-player, online gamer but here goes. The fun would be in the chat going on among the crew. (totally unrealistic)

In real life the captain or exec officer are the ones who use the scope. I've read of skippers who allow crew to watch a target sink when no danger is around.

The idea is to separate the functions. Only the hydrophone guy can hear the enemy. His boring job, as in real life, is to scan round and round and stare at his equipment. Only the captain could be linked in to use his system and hear.

The 1st officer is the weapons man who gets to click the fire button and set the torpedoes. Not much fun between shots.

The helm is the only guy who can steer the boat, but unlike modern subs, he goes left and right. Diving is the duty of the dive officer with his own levers, and his two planesmen. They have fun rotating wheels.

On the surface you have lookouts able to scan a portion of the horizon, a deck officer with same duties, and the captain. The planesmen are the lookouts and the weapons officer is the deck officer.

The engine room is nothing, cook?, nothing, torpedo room depends on what version of SH you run. Mostly load and wait.

I'd say you'd be better writing a wolfpack mod linking several players in their own subs. That would be an accomplishment. Good luck.:up:

Paulebaer1979
04-21-14, 05:48 AM
Well. Hear is my answer:

Surfaced cruising:

- Commanding officer: sleeps, reads books, eats, do something when the sub is alone at sea.
- Officer of the watch: drives the sub and stands on the bridge, looking out for targets.
- LI: does the same job as the c.o.
- 4 watchmen: stand on the bridge and look for targets. In case of fighting they handle the flak- and deck-gun.
- 1 chief engineering (chief petty officer): takes care of diesel engines, looks after batteries (charging, maintance), controls fan system, compressed air, filter for fansystem (Kalipatronen), ...
- 4-5 mechanical guys: help the chief engineer.
- 1 radio man: plays some musik and listen to orders from BDU, tryies to get some radio messages from enemy ships, have a look on radar warning receiver
- 1 guy: sitting at the rudder and steering the ordered course
- 3-8 guys: do maintance at the torpedos, reload tubes and so on.

Submerged cruising:

- Commanding officer: sleeps, reads books, eats, do something when the sub is alone at sea.
- Officer of the watch: drives the sub.
- LI: does the same job as the c.o.
- 4 watchmen: 2 of them sitting at the depth rudders, the other 2 helps the mechanical guys by trimming the sub.
- 1 chief engineering (chief petty officer): takes care of diesel engines, looks after batteries (charging, maintance), controls fan system, compressed air, filter for fansystem (Kalipatronen), ...
- 1 radio man: plays some musik and listen to the noise in the water with the hydrophones.

Surfaced fighting:

- Commanding officer: on the bridge and desides which targets is the best one, drives the sub and tells the officer of the watch the details of a target (for the TDC).
- Officer of the watch: controls the deckcrew at the weapons, receives the details for the TDC from c.o. and tells to the torpedocrew.
- LI: Is in the operationcenter and takes care of all systems.
- 4 watchmen: stand on the bridge and look for targets. In case of fighting they handle the flak- and deck-gun.
- 1 radio man: write all commands on the taktik plot and listen to orders from BDU, tryies to get some radio messages from enemy ships, have a look on radar warning receiver

Submerged fighting:

- Commanding officer: is either in operationcenter or tower hatch (attack peri).
- Officer of the watch: drives the sub, receives the details for the TDC from c.o. and tells to the torpedocrew.
- LI: Is in the operationcenter and takes care of all systems.
- 4 watchmen: 2 of them sitting at the depth rudders, the other 2 helps the mechanical guys by trimming the sub or counting the depth charges of enemy ships.
- 1 radio man: listen to the noise in the water with the hydrophones, gives the c.o. and officer of the watch detailed infos about any ship in a range of listening.

On the subs i drove, we had an detailed plan for every guy. This tells anyone what to do in case of fire, waterflooding, diving, surfacing, submerged cruising, surfaced cruising, snorkeling, shooting torpedos, exercises with divers and so on.

Buster_Dee
05-10-14, 10:20 AM
I love the idea of live crew in same sub. For roles:

CO (of course) does the torp shooting

XO handles watches, shoots by permission, monitors crew condition/moral

Chief Boatswain sets firing computer, torp reloading, torp replenishment

Navigator plots course and recommends target intercept and approach. Monitors fuel/range.

Radioman handles radio (reports, orders, resupply), radar, sonar

Chief of the boat keeps depth, coordinates repairs (and upgrades?), monitors batteries, monitors O2