PDA

View Full Version : Question about neutrals (yes ...AGAIN)

Gunsilnger
03-10-14, 12:26 PM
Ahoy again Captains!!

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading threads regarding neutral ships (there are a few). From what I've read in various threads (for SH3, 4, and 5) is that, neutral ships are fair game if: they're unlit, traveling in an enemy convoy, carrying war supplies, or traveling to or from and enemy port. I'm not sure in which threads I read all this, like i said, I've read alot :doh:...

BTW I'm using Sober's Mega Mod, but I don't know if that effects the R.O.E. :06:

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to sink those sneaky "neutrals" I see sneaking troops and supplies into the U.K. Eastern ports, and not have to do it on "accident" :arrgh!:

Thanks again and happy hunting!!

Oh yeah..And Modders rock :rock:

sir_drinkalot
03-11-14, 05:46 AM
Historically speaking, you are correct. It is a known fact that German u-boats engaged and sunk American ships, before the US joined the war. There is even an account on a u-boat sinking a US destroyer during the same period.

This may interest you, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJtKcUiWEms

Gunsilnger
03-15-14, 11:58 AM
Very good video, I hadn't seen that yet, but I have read about the Athenia, as well as a few other neutral ships sunk early in the war.

So, I guess my question is, does the game use the real life rules of engagement regarding neutrals? I've read about modifying files to remove the renown penalty, but not sure if it's absolutely necessary, I'd rather earn renown for legitimately sunk neutrals instead of just making it not penalize me. If the only way is to modify the files then I'll just start to avoid the neutral ships altogether and save myself the ammo. :cool:

GT182
03-15-14, 09:52 PM
Without a mod I believe sinking a neutral ship will have renoun taken away from you. It has for me in past installs of SH5. But with new mods like OHII and mods from TDW is might have been changed where no renoun is lost.

Gunsilnger
03-16-14, 09:21 AM
Without a mod I believe sinking a neutral ship will have renoun taken away from you. It has for me in past installs of SH5. But with new mods like OHII and mods from TDW is might have been changed where no renoun is lost.

Ok that's what I was wondering, thank you for your reply, :yeah: I'm running the OHII (and it's awesome BTW lol) I'll have to re-read the thread and see if it did in fact change the renown penalty. It seems it (or another mod) may have, as I'd sunk 3 or 4 neutrals (all heading into U.K. ports) in my first patrol using mods, and I still had over 5000 renown when I returned to Wilhelmshaven for hull repairs and refit, although I've also read that the penalty could be offset by the renown earned by legitimate enemy sinkings as well.

Thanks again! Happy hunting friend! :arrgh!: