PDA

View Full Version : Lorient U Boat Base

Yinping01
03-03-14, 05:42 PM
Has anyone had any problems navigating out of Lorient? It is like a maze
I must have hit the sea walls 3 or 4 times. any suggestions?

TheDarkWraith
03-03-14, 06:09 PM
Has anyone had any problems navigating out of Lorient? It is like a maze
I must have hit the sea walls 3 or 4 times. any suggestions?

If you are using my UIs mod then activate the harbor pilot via Automation :up:

finchOU
03-03-14, 09:27 PM
...just realize it takes longer to turn. So make sure to anticipate the turns. If all else fails stop or reverse to keep from banging walls. Take it as a challenge to improve your ship handling skills. :up:

Aktungbby
03-04-14, 01:27 AM
Welcome aboard Yinping01!:Kaleun_Salute: Boat handling is a little tough in harbor and I even have hit things with my real 27' boat...thank god for expandable push-poles; Go slow on speed level 2; aim dead center at a nav target such as a lighted window, distant tree, light house tower, smoke stacks or freight crane. Use hard 90 degree turn rudder tactics and be prepared for full astern. Your binocs or bridge UZO sight can focus on a distant steering point and reduce needless turning in the narrow canal estuary. Generally, as you come abreast of the turn, on your 90 or 270, from your bridge conning view point nearly amidships, begin a hard turn to a safe target dead center forward and come to rudder amidships. Use the 5 degree rudder controls to maintain target against any current issues and proceed to open water. Avoid excess speed and oversteering! Don't feel too bad, a professional harbor pilot recently hit the S.F. Bay Bridge with a Container ship and has lost his license; even the pros screw up. Practice Practice.:up:

tat501
03-04-14, 03:55 AM
Haha! Yeah Lorient's a tough little bugger. That's why I pay the pilot to take me out as TDW suggests...

Jimbuna
03-04-14, 05:14 AM
Lorient can be a bit tricky but practice makes perfect.

Welcome to SubSim :sunny:

Yinping01
03-04-14, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I will keep practicing if not I will get the mod. I made it out with 97 percent of my hull intact.