PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else thinks that Google sucks, more and more ? (rant!)

Catfish
02-25-14, 03:46 PM
From ads to ads to ads, Google-owned Youtube has become almost impossible to use due to ads and ads and ads you have to bear until the real vid starts, or just plain denial of service ("Sorry boy you are in the wrong county and will not see this vid").

But what's the most aggravating thing is that if you search for something, this search is more and more tailored on what they think you search for,

Unfortunately they are wrong everytime. I do not like cookies being placed intrusively on my machine, nor do i want to be molested by millions of ads of car parts, because i dared to search for one certain part years ago.

And then i do now own a "smart"phone (indicating i had a "dumbphone" before), and since it's not Apple it's OS is "android" or, you knew it, Google !
So to even download a program (i deny to call this "App") i have to create an account and becoming a member.
But you know what Google, i do not want to become a member of your f.... ine octopus data robbery.

You know what Google, F.. off and molest others, i'm not using you anymore ! :nope:

[this rant is NOT finished yet]

Tango589
02-25-14, 04:10 PM
Go on Catfish, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think!

Dread Knot
02-25-14, 04:12 PM
Good healthy rant. Sooner or later the fresh-faced, new company with the innovative idea becomes a decade later, the dying Dracula leeching off it's loyal customer base. Sucks don't it?

Speaking of which, Google said you might be interested some of these marvelous automotive products...

http://tpstransmissionparts.com/images/photos/parts_l.jpg

Tchocky
02-25-14, 04:15 PM
Cookie legislation is fairly clear. Most sites now you have to agree to cookie usage policies.

Youtube needs to advertise in order to provide free content to you. You can ******* if you feel the need. Also the search isn't being tailored, it's the ads just like the ones at the top of the SUBSIM Radio Room page.

And, you know, nobody's forcing you to click on the ad.

My only gripe with Google at the moment is the Youtube account/Google+ integration (annoying), and the new Maps page (a horrendous backwards step).

Then again, the Youtube/G+ thing is a single click solution, as is reverting back to the old Maps page.

Not exactly rant-worthy, but your mileage may vary.

Sailor Steve
02-25-14, 04:45 PM
I was a little unhappy the day they told me I would have to open a Google account if I wanted to keep my YouTube account going.

These days I'm getting tired of having a new bar pop up every time I use Google Search: "We see you're using Google a lot. Would you like to make Google your home page?" How many times do I have to say "NO!" before they get the idea?

AVGWarhawk
02-25-14, 04:54 PM
I'm with Steve. The constant changing and asking. Gets old. I hate Chrome syncing everything. My phone is Android. Tired of that as well. I decided to start running everything I have in Windows. Gets old having to know upteen OS.

Wolferz
02-25-14, 05:16 PM
Try Bing!:D

Ducimus
02-25-14, 05:36 PM
Google's bundling everything like your local cable company. I think the idea is to make you dependent on them to a degree where you can't really ever completely withdraw from them as a customer.

Right now, google, is hooked into youtube, which is hooked into google plus. It's like a merry go round of dependency. Compare that with a cable company that offers TV programming, DVR, internet, and phone. Same thing really.

I think this is a trend with IT in general these days. The corporation I work for bundles a crapload of everything. Email filter, web filter, usage reporting, secure gateway, malware and phishing, etc. I think a lot of larger corps are buying up smaller ones that have products which compliment their current lineup, to create these packaged deals. I used to work for a small company, now I'm a minor cog in this Juggernaught in IT security and security certification.

Red October1984
02-25-14, 06:20 PM
You can turn off the "I know what you search for" stuff.

If you have a google account...

Their settings and account stuff isn't clear and it doesn't work well. That's really my only gripe with them.

However....

Everything you do with them has to only come through them...which is why I hate Apple...but Apple is worse.

TarJak
02-25-14, 06:31 PM
If the worst thing that they do is to advertise at you then your life is not that bad. A very first world problem.

Nippelspanner
02-25-14, 07:25 PM
Good rant, and totally legit, I could not agree more!
I started to HATE(!!1!) Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and all this crappy...crap.
All it tells you is "social, social, social..." what it really wants, is your privacy. And 1.1billion people on this planet are stupid (yes, I think so, you are stupid if you use facebook with your real-life data) enough to fall for this crap.
"Uhhh, a funny browser farming game... how awesome... what do you mean it collected/reported my internet surfing habits? Well that really sucks! *playsomemore*"

It drives me incredibly mad. It also drives me mad to see "young" people (25 and younger maybe) walking on the streets, staring on tiny, overpriced crap-phones, not even looking into each others faces anymore... or texting each other while being in the same room. I am not even 30 and feel like 89 when I look around.

So tired of this... so tired.:/\\!!

Note: In threads like this, I hate Subsims zero-tolerance on foul language, really. Gnaaahhh... *hulk*

Sailor Steve
02-25-14, 07:29 PM
Note: In threads like this, I hate Subsims zero-tolerance on foul language, really. Gnaaahhh... *hulk*
If you can't express yourself without it then maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are.

If you think I'm being smug and superior when I say that then you haven't heard me when I'm at my model-building table...or in front of my computer. :D

the_tyrant
02-25-14, 08:10 PM
I always thought that Bing could have been so much more popular if they called it Bang instead.

Example:

"Is Megan Fox single?"

"Let me Bang her and find out!"

Or for the ladies:

"Is Sean Connery still alive?"

"Let me Bang him and find out!"

Ducimus
02-25-14, 08:36 PM
If you can't express yourself without it then maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are.

You know what, I have a relative who's been in Journalism all his life. Worked for the NY times, and the LA times. He sarted at the bottom run working with the printing presses, worked his way up to reporter, and he's been a senior editor at the LA times for awhile now. He explained something to me a long time ago as profanity goes. It conveys a certain level of emotion, and gives more impact to the point your trying to put across; where as other more nicer words, fail to achieve the same level of emotion, or impact. The use of profanity is more forceful, the words are more powerful, and their use doesn't necessarily indicate lack of intelligence.

Nippelspanner
02-25-14, 09:38 PM

If you think I'm being smug and superior when I say that then you haven't heard me when I'm at my model-building table...or in front of my computer. :D
Steve, welcome to my trap! :har:
I just KNEW you had to address this, I knew it and that's why I added the note before sending the text! :D

Now I feel smart. :O:

@Ducimus
Very well said, could not agree more. A good f-bomb once in a while can be a good stress killer - for me at least.

I always thought that Bing could have been so much more popular if they called it Bang instead.

Example:

"Is Megan Fox single?"

"Let me Bang her and find out!"
Glorious! xD

Buddahaid
02-25-14, 09:56 PM
Well profanity is used so much now it has the opposite effect on me. I don't want to read about it or tune in to what is being said.

Sailor Steve
02-25-14, 10:26 PM
The use of profanity is more forceful, the words are more powerful, and their use doesn't necessarily indicate lack of intelligence.
You didn't quote my second line. Did you read it? If you had you might have realized that the first line was aimed at myself as much as anybody else.

Steve, welcome to my trap! :har:
I just KNEW you had to address this, I knew it and that's why I added the note before sending the text! :D
No trap at all. The note was the only reason I even responded.

Now I feel smart. :O:
You are smart. As I said above, my comment was aimed at myself.

A good f-bomb once in a while can be a good stress killer - for me at least.
Hence my second line. I swear a lot, but never in public and never on Subsim. In public because I believe in a certain level of propriety, and on Subsim because Neal wants a forum an eight-year-old can be comfortable reading.

Jimbuna
02-26-14, 05:34 AM

I can vouch for that....sometimes I have to turn my sound off :O:

Back OT....I lost flash player about six months ago using IE and was unable to restore it no matter what I tried.

Got it back by installing Chrome :doh:

STEED
02-26-14, 05:43 AM
Beware the google monster is growing.

If you think its bad now what about 10 years time?

I do not like what I see and read about...

Jimbuna
02-26-14, 06:54 AM
Beware the google monster is growing.

If you think its bad now what about 10 years time?

I do not like what I see and read about...

I doubt I'll be around in ten years time...retirement is boring me to death :shifty:

Skybird
02-26-14, 06:58 AM
People are worrying about the NSA. But Google already knows more about them than the NSA. And pushes for mor.

Currently Google lobbies American law makers to prevent Google glasses being banned from car drivers.

As a private business company, Google operates outside any reasonable counter-control by the public, and is not subject to any form of checks and balances.

Same is true for so many other internet giants.

Best advice is not to use computer for storing/typing/processing anything more than what you would voluntarily write on an uncovered postcard from your holiday ressort.

Smartphones - I run a total and complete ban policy regarding smartphones. Will not get one now, nor anytime in the future. I have a WLAN tablet, with a map application. It works via passive GPS and stored offline map data. No Google service allowed that go beyond what I inevitably have to accept when running Android - and that already is much more than what would be needed to operate a tablet.

Google & Co suck.

Wolferz
02-26-14, 09:17 AM
Must be why Facecrook has the poke feature...

There's Megan Fox! I'm going to poke her and see if she'll be my friend.:arrgh!:

"Poke your grandma, Stan!" ~Randy Marsh~

Ducimus
02-26-14, 09:23 AM
You didn't quote my second line. Did you read it? If you had you might have realized that the first line was aimed at myself as much as anybody else.

I read it, but dismissed it. You always cite rules, but you jump on the anti-profanity train so often, with such zeal, that i have a hard time thinking that it is for any reason other then that profanity offends your moral sensibilities.

Wolferz
02-26-14, 09:32 AM
The use of profanity is not a clear indicator of lack of intelligence.
Just lack of vocabulary.:03:

antikristuseke
02-26-14, 09:47 AM
I disagree with that passionately Wolferz.
Use of profanity has its place and is part of the vocabulary for a reason, but this isn't that place, even though I have fallen foul of that rule at times.

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 09:58 AM
I read it, but dismissed it. You always cite rules, but you jump on the anti-profanity train so often, with such zeal, that i have a hard time thinking that it is for any reason other then that profanity offends your moral sensibilities.
Then you don't know or understand me at all. These days my moral sensibilities are minimal if not nil. I'm more of a rules-nazi than anything else.

Ducimus
02-26-14, 10:18 AM
Then you don't know or understand me at all. These days my moral sensibilities are minimal if not nil. I'm more of a rules-nazi than anything else.

I still don't buy it. I've liven my whole life going by laws, rules, and regulations. Regimentation is nothing new to me.

As an example, for most of us, lying is against the rules in life. Yet children are lied to all the time in the form of the Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause.

Or another example, say the posted speed limit is 65 MPH, but the flow of traffic is 75 MPH, ill wager you'll be going with the flow of traffic, or at a minimum, doing 5 over. Furthermore, more often then not, someone doing the speed limit, or even 5 under, becomes a safety hazard to the flow of traffic.

Don't tell me you have NEVER crossed the street outside boundaries of a crosswalk.

What I'm saying is that 100% strict adherence to the letter of rules and laws is unrealistic, and unattainable. We all bend or break them a little bit, even the most high moral and law abiding amongst us in society.

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 10:32 AM
I still don't buy it.
Of course you're entitled to think whatever you want. I've said my piece, and don't think I need to explain further since you won't believe me anyway.

Or another example, say the posted speed limit is 65 MPH, but the flow of traffic is 75 MPH, ill wager you'll be going with the flow of traffic, or at a minimum, doing 5 over. Furthermore, more often then not, someone doing the speed limit, or even 5 under, becomes a safety hazard to the flow of traffic.
Not really. I do tend to stay in the slow lane, though.

Don't tell me you have NEVER crossed the street outside boundaries of a crosswalk.
Sure, when the crosswalk is several hundred feet away. On the other hand I never cross against the light.

What I'm saying is that 100% strict adherence to the letter of rules and laws is unrealistic, and unattainable. We all bend or break them a little bit, even the most high moral and law abiding amongst us in society.
I've saved your first comment for last, since you didn't ask me if I've never lied. I'm not quite a compulsive liar, but I realized long ago that I'm habitually dishonest. I make a point of trying not to lie, cheat or steal, yet I'm painfully aware of the times I still do all of those. On the other hand I'm perfectly willing to talk about those, so while I'm conflicted I don't consider myself hypocritical. You might say that these days I'm brutally honest about my own dishonesty.

So no, it's not about the language. I just don't like seeing the rules being ignored. Sure I'm over-zealous sometimes. I admit it. That said, if the rule were to change tomorrow I'd roll with it.

Ducimus
02-26-14, 10:48 AM
Of course you're entitled to think whatever you want. I've said my piece, and don't think I need to explain further since you won't believe me anyway.

Well, you are right, I do not know you. In fact, I don't care how long you can "talk" to someone on the internet, in all reality, you really don't know them. In my opinion, the only people someone can really know, are people they physically see and interact with in their daily lives. So, I don't know you from Adam. At the end of the day, you don't have to prove anything to me, or anyone else, and neither do I.

As people go, the way i see it, this is the internet. People say A LOT of things about themselves, in many subjects. Some of it may be true, some of it isn't true, and it's often impossible to tell which.

STEED
02-26-14, 11:05 AM
I doubt I'll be around in ten years time...retirement is boring me to death :shifty:

No chance jim your a Highlander.

AVGWarhawk
02-26-14, 11:09 AM
Yet children are lied to all the time in the form of the Easter bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause.

:o

WTH...

MH
02-26-14, 11:28 AM
Smartphones - I run a total and complete ban policy regarding smartphones. Will not get one now, nor anytime in the future. I have a WLAN tablet, with a map application. It works via passive GPS and stored offline map data. No Google service allowed that go beyond what I inevitably have to accept when running Android - and that already is much more than what would be needed to operate a tablet.

Google & Co suck. Many thing google does makes the life easer.
Yes it comes at the price of privacy because there is no other way.
Many people actually like it this way.

The solution against it if you are hardcore is rooting the phone and installing ROM/OS with no google app.
Not very difficult to do.

Skybird
02-26-14, 11:44 AM
Many thing google does makes the life easer.
Yes it comes at the price of privacy because there is no other way.
Many people actually like it this way.

The solution against it if you are hardcore is rooting the phone and installing ROM/OS with no google app.
Not very difficult to do.
My solution is much, much easier.

http://www.pooki.fr/photos/mobile/big/samsung-e1150-3.jpg

Prepayed. Nice ruby red colour. Unbeatable price. Almost always switched off.

Yes - a better life still is possible. Although they try hard to mess it up.

MH
02-26-14, 12:07 PM
Everyone to his own.

Jimbuna
02-26-14, 12:22 PM
No chance jim your a Highlander.

Seventy odd miles south of the border if you don't mind :)

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 12:27 PM
As people go, the way i see it, this is the internet. People say A LOT of things about themselves, in many subjects. Some of it may be true, some of it isn't true, and it's often impossible to tell which.
True, but some of us are more than willing to meet each other face-to-face, vouch for each other, post pictures that are verified by others, including pictures taken together, and communicate from time to time by means other than the internet. On the other hand some of us seem afraid to meet other members, no matter how many times they're asked.

Who should you trust more?

Ducimus
02-26-14, 12:51 PM
True, but some of us are more than willing to meet each other face-to-face, vouch for each other, post pictures that are verified by others, including pictures taken together, and communicate from time to time by means other than the internet. On the other hand some of us seem afraid to meet other members, no matter how many times they're asked.

Who should you trust more?

LOL I should have figured that was coming. I could give you a dozen excuses of why not, ranging from having purchased a home somewhere north of Santaquin, to a 3 week baby girl sleeping in the room next door. My overall point would be, that I've been really busy. I wish life came with a pause button.

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 12:57 PM
LOL I should have figured that was coming. I could give you a dozen excuses of why not, ranging from having purchased a home somewhere north of Santaquin, to a 3 week baby girl sleeping in the room next door. My overall point would be, that I've been really busy. I wish life came with a pause button.
On that we agree completely. It's been a long time since I had a three-week-old anything. My complaint is the opposite - mine are grown and gone and don't talk to me anymore.

You came at me and I came back. Whatever we may say I'd still like to get together sometime. I do have a car now so it can be on your terms. :sunny:

Madox58
02-26-14, 01:16 PM
True, but some of us are more than willing to meet each other face-to-face, vouch for each other, post pictures that are verified by others, including pictures taken together, and communicate from time to time by means other than the internet.

Yep.
Been doing that while here in California.
:haha:

Ducimus
02-26-14, 01:18 PM
On that we agree completely. It's been a long time since I had a three-week-old anything. My complaint is the opposite - mine are grown and gone and don't talk to me anymore.

I wish I could snap my fingers and have that 3 week old be 3 years old so we can start potty training. I hate diapers. Everyone says, "every moment is precious, enjoy it", i find myself disagreeing. And then there's the evening/nighly fussy periods. It's just straight up "Angry baby" time from 6 PM to midnight to 1AM. NOT FUN.

You came at me and I came back.
Yes and no. I'm just tired of the profanity policing. Sometimes I'm thinking, "He must make it his business to tell others how to talk!!" which gets me all angsty so then i start pushing back on the subject.

Whatever we may say I'd still like to get together sometime. I do have a car now so it can be on your terms. :sunny:

We would have to meet in Orem or American Fork. I am NOT driving to salt lake city. For one the inversion there is .. oh wait... winter in the bowl is about over now. Ok, well for two, I'd just get lost there, and for three, I'm lazy. When? I have no idea. It's hard enough right now just finding enough time to take out the freaking trash.

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 01:21 PM
Well, when you can make time for lunch, PM me. :sunny:

Jimbuna
02-26-14, 01:21 PM
Yep.
Been doing that while here in California.
:haha:

So I hear :)

Ducimus
02-26-14, 01:26 PM
Well, when you can make time for lunch, PM me. :sunny:

Maybe this Saturday. I got a bonus from work and figured i'd do a little shopping in Orem at the LGS. Already cleared the excursion with the wife. I'll be on a time crunch though, I'll have two or three stops ill have to make, and probably shouldn't be gone longer then 3 hours else i may incur the wrath of wife.

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 01:30 PM
Maybe this Saturday. I got a bonus from work and figured i'd do a little shopping in Orem at the LGS. Already cleared the excursion with the wife. I'll be on a time crunch though, I'll have two or three stops ill have to make, and probably shouldn't be gone longer then 3 hours else i may incur the wrath of wife.
Most times are good for me.

Catfish
02-26-14, 02:47 PM
Hehe, nice ending, maybe you two see yourselves next time ? :)

Sry to recapture the thread, but regarding all those data grabbers i found this interesting for mobile users be it 'iOS' (Apple) or 'Android' (Google)

https://missingm.co/2014/02/fighting-dishfire-the-state-of-mobile-cross-platform-encrypted-messaging/

Sailor Steve
02-26-14, 04:20 PM
Sry to recapture the thread
Sorry to steal it in the first place. Somebody passed me the ball and I ran the wrong way. I get a little...excitable, sometimes. :D