PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else having a hard time with Amazon.com?

Subnuts
02-25-14, 03:32 PM
I got my copy of the British Battleships of World War One in the mail today, and all I can say is, what's happened to Amazon the last year?

The book came in a box that was a good five inches too big for the book, which was padded only by some cheap brown paper. The top and bottom of the cover along the sides both had inch-long rips. I opened the book up to find an inch-wide circle of brownish-green crud which left a stain across 10 pages of the book and partially destroyed a drawing of Renown.

This didn't start happening until I forked over the $80 for my Prime account. Books used to take a week or more to arrive, but they didn't show up covered in bangs and bruises and with chunks of dirt inside. I bought a copy of The Battleship Builders the other week from a used book seller on Amazon, and it arrived in perfect condition, and even included a receipt. I might spend a ton of money on books about ships, but I don't want them arriving looking like they've been at sea a year. What's the deal, Amazon?

Tchocky
02-25-14, 04:19 PM
In fairness that could be the carrier's fault and not Amazon, but who can tell? Have you raised it with them?

Sorry to hear about your stuff, sounds like a nice order :)

AVGWarhawk
02-25-14, 04:41 PM
By and large I have done fine with Amazon. I can not say the carriers have been timely but I can attribute that to Christmas rush and weather. I did receive one package the contents looked like forklift grease was wiped all over it. In short, a packer who just did not care. Other than that, it has been good. I do have Prime and digging the free shipping plus all the programming I can stream through my Sony Playstation 3. I spent last Sunday watch seasons 1-3 of the Twilight Zone for free. I get movies for free. Very similar to Netflix. I love Amazon.

Sailor Steve
02-25-14, 04:42 PM
I have not had that problem, and you should complain and get a refund or a new order. Call their customer service line ASAP and talk to a human. While I haven't had that happen I have had a couple of other problems and Amazon CS straightened it out for me in short order.

By the way, I have all three books in that series plus an older edition of the 1889-1904 book. Good stuff. :yep:

Subnuts
02-25-14, 05:40 PM
Hmm...maybe it is the carrier's fault after all. Looking at the tracking history, it looks like the book went through four different carrier locations in a 24 hour period. It wouldn't shock me if it got tossed around a little bit, but that still doesn't explain how semi-moist dirt got inside. Still, it's not as bad as the time I bought a "very good" used copy of Norman Friedman's book on American aircraft carriers, which had a note scribbled inside where the previous owner said that Admiral Halsey's critics should rot in hell forever! :har:

CCIP
02-25-14, 07:14 PM
Of course it's the carrier's fault!

We all know what carriers have done to battleships, British of otherwise, historically speaking :D

swamprat69er
02-25-14, 09:49 PM
If there is nothing on the packaging that say 'fragile', then they play football with it. If in fact 'fragile' is on the packaging then they are gentler with it and only play baseball. Everybody knows that football is a rough sport. :D
I've had the same problems with amazon.ca

Stealhead
02-25-14, 11:07 PM
Another factor is if the item came directly from Amazon or a seller that works with Amazon.If it is from a secondary seller I look at the score they have and more importantly how many have rated them.For example a seller that has five stars and 768,147 ratings is sure to be better than one who has five stars but only 500 ratings.It is very possible to have 500 idiots rate you in a positive light much less so for over half a million to.

I epically consider this when buying used books(which I buy very often) as a high score with many ratings indicates that that seller does a good job and rates condition with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

In my experience I have never had a packaging issue with anything direct form Amazon nor from any secondary sellers that passes my test.

I have picked up some very good deals on used books on Amazon.

Jimbuna
02-26-14, 05:15 AM
Never had that problem thankfully but the internal 'crud' must be down to a lazy unobservant packer.

I'd contact Amazon and get a refund or a replacement.

STEED
02-26-14, 05:25 AM
Never had that problem thankfully but the internal 'crud' must be down to a lazy unobservant packer.

I'd contact Amazon and get a refund or a replacement.

Never happen here, under the stop watch, process so many orders a hour and any complaints your out.

I had no issues with them.

TorpX
02-26-14, 11:47 PM
I've done pretty well with Amazon.

Does Subsim still get a cut of what we order through a link?

I don't see any Amazon link any more.

Jimbuna
02-27-14, 06:28 AM
I've done pretty well with Amazon.

Does Subsim still get a cut of what we order through a link?

I don't see any Amazon link any more.

Yes regarding commission and you can access Amazon by clicking on the 'Quick Links' at upper right of the page.

STEED
02-28-14, 11:12 AM
YES...TODAY.

Who the hell packed my ink jet cartridges in this over the top box???

You could have got another 7 to 8 more ink jet cartridges inside!

swamprat69er
02-28-14, 01:37 PM
YES...TODAY.

Who the hell packed my ink jet cartridges in this over the top box???

You could have got another 7 to 8 more ink jet cartridges inside!

That is a hint to show you that you can order more that what you did, because they have a box big enough to hold a larger order.

STEED
02-28-14, 01:42 PM
That is a hint to show you that you can order more that what you did, because they have a box big enough to hold a larger order.

Not at there bloody prices I don't. :O:

Jimbuna
02-28-14, 02:25 PM
Not at there bloody prices I don't. :O:

A man of your means should never have to be worrying about cost.

Mr Quatro
02-28-14, 02:25 PM
I've never had anything like that happen from Amazon ... I ordered 100 recordable DVDr's from newegg and the spindle was broken with a couple of them scratched is about the worse thing that has happened to me.

The problem I have with Amazon is that I don't have the Prime account you have and everything I order goes to the USPS mail box number instead of my home address, unless I check the 2day deliver box that is.

The post office doesn't deliver leaving me to wonder where in the heck my stuff is and Amazon forgets to put the PO box and puts the home address even with the little tell tell four digits at the end of the zip code the item gets put in the can't tell who it is bin.

I keep forgetting to go through subsim though ... do you have to be logged in first to give subsim credit?

Jimbuna
02-28-14, 02:46 PM
No, simply go through the link.

Mr Quatro
02-28-14, 02:51 PM
No, simply go through the link.

Link not there ... good looking pirate girl is missing :hmmm:

Jimbuna
02-28-14, 03:54 PM
Link not there ... good looking pirate girl is missing :hmmm:

Click on 'Quick Links' near top right of this page.

CaptainMattJ.
03-02-14, 03:25 PM
I ordered Barefoot in the Park for my mom and they sent me 3 copies of some christian hymns cds.