PDA

View Full Version : Dead?

cherbert
02-24-14, 12:32 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that this game is dead before it even got out of beta? There have been no meaningful communications from the devs anymore, no patches - the last was a failed patch in Nov/Oct that was rolled back.

Since then there has just been random restarts of the servers to keep stability.

The forums are a joke - there is pretty much nothing happening there.

I'm guessing the plug has been pulled and its just a matter of time before its official.

Onkel Neal
02-25-14, 07:01 AM
Good question, I will contact BlueByte and see what the game's status is.

TG626
02-25-14, 10:36 AM
Fun fact: sho lead me to discover and buy sh4 :-)

Admiral Halsey
02-25-14, 03:48 PM
Honestly I never thought it'd survive this long. Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?

Onkel Neal
02-26-14, 12:51 PM
Fun fact: sho lead me to discover and buy sh4 :-)

Nothing wrong with that :salute:

RushTheBus
02-26-14, 01:04 PM
I really think this franchise needs a star citizen like project. Not sure if that will / could happen, but i would surely offer a few bucks toward it.

Seeadler
02-27-14, 05:03 PM
I'm guessing the plug has been pulled and its just a matter of time before its official.

Official statement from SHO Community Manager

A lot of questions have been raised about the future of Silent Hunter Online and I would like to use this post to give you more information and details on the status of the game.

Silent Hunter Online will not be receiving additional game updates but the game will still be live and receiving regular maintenance. While we are disappointed we won’t be able to continue providing you with new content, you will still be able to continue playing the game as it is now. We will still be present on the forums and support portals for any issues players may have and all communication channels will remain open and active for discussions, questions and help requests.This does not represent the end of the game. As long as we have a sufficient number of active players, the hunting of the wolfpacks will continue.

We know that this is not what many of you were hoping for.

I will continue to be part of this great community as your Community Manager and the entire team of Silent Hunter Online hopes you and your fellow players will continue to play and enjoy the game.

To thank you for your continued support we will adjust the credit packages in our shop considerably. Starting from today you will receive 50% more credits.

We hope to have shed some light onto the current status of the game. If you have any questions, we will happily try to answer them for you.

Our player base, the comradely atmosphere and pleasant chat environment was always something that made Silent Hunter Online special and I hope to see many of you continue to be part of the great wolfpack that is Silent Hunter Online.

reference:http://forum.silenthunteronline.com/threads/18058-Silent-Hunter-Online-Status-Update

John Channing
02-27-14, 06:58 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=361&pictureid=7358

dcb
02-27-14, 07:05 PM
Cant say I'm surprised. The whole idea of a submarine sim online was uninspired - to put it politely - in the first place. This is no WOT, no hack'n'slash game or mindless shooter appealing to kids or frag-obsessed teens, and the community that embraces the idea of a sub sim needs something more in terms of sophistication than an online, web-browser platform can provide. I, for one, fired up SHO only once, played it for about two hours, found it arcadish and over-simplified and never returned to it again.

As always, Ubi did not listen to what the community loyal to the SH franchise was actually asking for. Instead of refining and polishing the rough gem that is SH5, bringing it up to the community's expectations, they came with an online surrogate that actually targeted everybody and nobody. This is what happens when you try to please too many people: you end up pleasing nobody at all.

Probably this will mark the official end of the SH franchise, at least with Ubi. They will instead focus on the franchises that bring easy profit, like Assassin's Creed (of which they seem to release a new instalment every 6 months or so), on console games targeting a wide audience and on dumbing down every franchise they can grab. That's what they are best at:down:

Onkel Neal
02-27-14, 10:58 PM
I'm a little surprised. I admit I have not been keeping up with the gaming scene on 2013, but in my defense, I have had a lot of personal issues to deal with. It sounds like the game never progressed from open beta? :06:

Admiral Halsey
02-28-14, 12:19 AM
Honestly I never thought it'd survive this long. Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?

I once again would like to state this.

Tinman764
02-28-14, 03:21 AM
Didn't something similar happen with the Falcon 4.0 community? But it may have been due to Microprose going out of business.

CCIP
02-28-14, 07:18 AM
The falcon 4 community is still alive and well, 16 years after its release - so probably not the best comparison!

Tinman764
02-28-14, 09:11 AM
The falcon 4 community is still alive and well, 16 years after its release - so probably not the best comparison!

No, that is exactly why I used them :)

There are a number of full game rebuilds by the modding community that I am sure would have needed someone's blessing before the code from the original game be used. And as you said, they are doing very well.

les green01
02-28-14, 11:43 AM
i have try logging in several times could never get on but then in a way im not surspise seem like like every release from ubi just got worst least sh1 to 5 you have mods working to make them playable

Admiral Halsey
02-28-14, 02:18 PM
i have try logging in several times could never get on but then in a way im not surspise seem like like every release from ubi just got worst least sh1 to 5 you have mods working to make them playable

Same here. I was willing to give the game a shot but I could never play the darn thing.

v-i-c-
02-28-14, 05:03 PM
Silent Hunter Online will not be receiving additional game updates...

Oh, well… then I hope my mobile title will get enough sales to outsource some work to port it quickly to the desktop with all the eyecandy of 2015.

Silent Hunter is just a name. The game was made in 1939.

John Channing
02-28-14, 06:47 PM
No, that is exactly why I used them :)

There are a number of full game rebuilds by the modding community that I am sure would have needed someone's blessing before the code from the original game be used. And as you said, they are doing very well.

Actually the source code was illegally leaked by one of the disgruntled developers after being told that they were all fired (or so the legend goes) when Hasbro took over.

But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.

JCC

TorpX
02-28-14, 09:57 PM
But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.

It's too bad. This is probably the only way of Silent Hunter being the game it was meant to be.

andacio
03-01-14, 06:02 AM
Too bad , indeed ! But I think that the game was having a future if the players would have seen any changes at all . One year and no change ...it is quite frustrating. Most of the players quit the game when seeing the lack of comunication from the devs . My 2 cent

Harald_Lange
03-01-14, 07:54 AM
Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?

TheDarkWraith
03-01-14, 11:44 AM
Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?

That dream has been a reality for some time now :yep: Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?

DrJones
03-02-14, 06:46 AM
That dream has been a reality for some time now :yep: Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?

I agree with you absolutely :up:

and further improvements are always in progress...more or less...depending on the time modders have to dispose

Best Regards

DrJones:salute:

Keef Kavannah
03-13-14, 04:18 AM
damn. another time.

GT182
03-14-14, 04:07 PM
Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?

Knowing UBI it will never happen, and if it did no one could afford it. Same was tried with Hazbro/Atari for "B-17 Flying Fortress "The Mighty 8th"" and that failed.

Oleander
03-14-14, 11:06 PM
Not at all surprised, they were banking on microtransactions that just haven't materialized. People are getting tired of feeding money to games so they play at a reasonable pace or they have decent weaponry. WOT did it right and made the playing field flat, the premium members get a slight edge but its very subtle.

SHO is just boring, there's not enough TC and there's just not a lot to do. They took an essentially open world game and made it mission based so it just feels sluggish at best.

I really wish someone would make a game like the old POTCO game Disney had. You can buy ships and go out and sink AI ships and have your friends join in. Can't wait for World of Warships, its gonna be awesome.

TG626
03-15-14, 01:20 AM
The whole micro transactions is why I played for a few hours and then went searching for "real" game to buy. After a slight steamed detour I need up with sh4 (wanted to be USN and not KM) and I've never looked back! :)

TheDarkWraith
03-15-14, 10:05 AM
Let this be a lesson to other game makers: we are not going to put up with pay to play or microtransactions or internet/cloud based games (we want physical copy on CD/DVD) or DRM crap :arrgh!:

Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable :D

Oleander
03-15-14, 10:56 AM
Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable :D
This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.

TheDarkWraith
03-15-14, 11:02 AM
This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.

Power to the people :yeah:

Whenever we hear the words 'new DRM' or 'new copy protection scheme' or 'can't use unless ____' it's a call to arms...And we have much bigger and better weapons than the developers. Even if we don't we will make better ones (this is usually a multi-national effort) :up:

Nothing like the international fame for being the first one to prove they broke/cracked it.

makman94
03-15-14, 04:23 PM

Whenever we hear the words 'new DRM' or 'new copy protection scheme' or 'can't use unless ____' it's a call to arms...And we have much bigger and better weapons than the developers. Even if we don't we will make better ones (this is usually a multi-national effort) :up:

Nothing like the international fame for being the first one to prove they broke/cracked it.

hello there TDW,

...but as you can see they continue releasing their products with all these 'locks'.
why do you believe is happening this ? becuase , i think that they are smart enough too to know that it is just a matter of one day (in most cases) to get rid of them (in the case of sh5 took half of a day for the SKIDROW)

these 'locks' reminds me the various ...antivirus programmes.
they do absolutelly nothing than 'warning you' but ...,always, there is a 'virus' that will ...pass. this is called ''progress'' you may say (and you are right), but i have start thinking that it is the same companies ,which are creating the 'ativirus' programmes, that are creating the new 'viruses' too ...

back to cases of the various 'locks' ....why you think they still continue selling 'locked' games as they know that next day will be not?

TheDarkWraith
03-15-14, 05:47 PM
hello there TDW,

...but as you can see they continue releasing their products with all these 'locks'.
why do you believe is happening this ? becuase , i think that they are smart enough too to know that it is just a matter of one day (in most cases) to get rid of them (in the case of sh5 took half of a day for the SKIDROW)

these 'locks' reminds me the various ...antivirus programmes.
they do absolutelly nothing than 'warning you' but ...,always, there is a 'virus' that will ...pass. this is called ''progress'' you may say (and you are right), but i have start thinking that it is the same companies ,which are creating the 'ativirus' programmes, that are creating the new 'viruses' too ...

back to cases of the various 'locks' ....why you think they still continue selling 'locked' games as they know that next day will be not?

same thing why people put locks on doors and windows. Majority of the people won't mess with it if it has a lock on it :yep:

Jimbuna
03-15-14, 06:48 PM
Let this be a lesson to other game makers: we are not going to put up with pay to play or microtransactions or internet/cloud based games (we want physical copy on CD/DVD) or DRM crap :arrgh!:

Nope....isn't going to happen here on SubSim.

This forum is not to be used as a messenger board to game makers, or anyone else threatening copyright infringement.

Now I think you should remember "there are people like me" who will enforce the above...'just because I can' and I am confident that is what the forum owner expects.

Oleander
03-15-14, 06:57 PM
Part of it has to do with pressure from Financiers, that's usually the case with EA and Ubisoft. Ubisoft claims that they are losing 95% of their revenue due to piracy, how they come up with these numbers is anyone's guess.

But, rather than ask why are people pirating our games, they're looking at ways to come up with DRM to stop it cold which in the case of SH5 makes the game almost unplayable due to long load times caused by the game "checking in". EA also found out that making every single game have to play off the servers cripples the game and pisses everyone off.

So let's look at the other side of the coin. Why do people pirate games? Sometimes it has to do with gamers just being flat out broke or unwilling to pay $60 for a game. Which speaking of, when Super Mario Brothers came out it sold at $60 a lot of that price came from the cartridge manufacture. Today most games are released from cloud storage which is significantly cheaper in bulk, and I believe most people are catching on to that fact. That's how Steam is able to sell games at a cheaper price than anyone else and the do so in large numbers.

The second reason is games are being rushed, they aren't being polished or only a portion of the game is being released and the rest comes out through DLC. It wouldn't be so bad if the original game was $40 and the DLC was $10 a piece. No, the game will cost you $60, the DLC runs anywhere from $20-full retail and its usually lackluster. The Sims games are notorious for this.

The big companies are starting to loose their edge and its giving rise to a load of indie developers which is really good news for us as long as we can keep them out of the hands of the publishers.

v-i-c-
03-16-14, 04:45 AM
Part of it has to do with pressure from Financiers, that's usually the case with EA and Ubisoft. Ubisoft claims that they are losing 95% of their revenue due to piracy, how they come up with these numbers is anyone's guess.

I have no idea how Ubisoft "measures" piracy. But I know from other mobile indie developers that 95% is the usual rate of piracy for their games. They can measure it via Game Center. When you've sold just 5000 copies but you have 100000 users on Game Center then it's pretty clear that 95% of the players use illegal copies.

But the point is how many of those 95% would have bought it if it would have been impossible to copy it? That's something you can't answer unless you have a perfect copy protection.

So let's look at the other side of the coin. Why do people pirate games? Sometimes it has to do with gamers just being flat out broke or unwilling to pay $60 for a game.

Because a lot of people want everything for free and they just don't realize that what they are doing is nothing else but a kind of slavery (using the work of other but not willing to pay). Even my 99 cent titles all got pirated within 3 days - so it clearly is not about the poor "broke people" or overpricing.

Which speaking of, when Super Mario Brothers came out it sold at $60 a lot of that price came from the cartridge manufacture. Today most games are released from cloud storage which is significantly cheaper in bulk, and I believe most people are catching on to that fact. That's how Steam is able to sell games at a cheaper price than anyone else and the do so in large numbers.

A DVD Package with nice art is not that expensive it costs just a few dollars per unit. Getting rid of that would not even result in a price drop from $60 to $50.
I think the 24/7 instant availability of downloads is one of the reason why they go with cheaper prices. More people buy because they are just in the mood to play something like that and they can get it NOW within some minutes. Another reason is the competition on those platforms, price changes can be done within minutes and you don't need to produce boxes and hold them on stock which can be a risk. The usual 30% the platform earns is the same margin that the retailer got before.

The big companies are starting to loose their edge and its giving rise to a load of indie developers which is really good news for us as long as we can keep them out of the hands of the publishers.

The big companies are still winning on the totally overcrowded mobile platforms where usually hundreds of game come out every day. It's harder than ever before for indies today. 3-5 years ago it was a completely different situation and indies had their best days at that time. Just go on an indie-developer forum and ask…

Why don't you use your "arms" to create something? Instead you are attacking the financial base of the life of others who actually created something.

The "multi-national effort" you are talking about are modders and not pirates.

I've worked 5 years on my sim so far because I am developing it as a one man show - during this time I've invested all my money into it and this made me a really poor person, I am happy that I have something to eat which is basically my only luxury in life since I'm developing this title (I've left the house exactly 5 times this year because I don't have the time and money to do something outside at all) - I'm not nuts, I will use a copy protection - so the first thing you will do is crack it? For the fame? I would not call this fame but a shame.

Seriously I hope persons like you will someday work months just to find out that they finally won't get paid. (and even this would be nothing compared to 5 years) - how much is 5 years of your lifetime worth for you? Do you ever got pirated? Do you have the slightest idea how that feels? I really hope you will feel that feeling one day to learn something and to stop ripping off other people.

Even behind giant companies like Ubisoft there are people and jobs. And they have all rights to decide how much money they want for their work and how their product works (DRM, features etc.). If you don't like it then just don't buy it, no one forces you to buy it, but it does not give you the slightest (morale) right to crack it.

Oleander
03-16-14, 08:06 AM
I have no idea how Ubisoft "measures" piracy. But I know from other mobile indie developers that 95% is the usual rate of piracy for their games. They can measure it via Game Center. When you've sold just 5000 copies but you have 100000 users on Game Center then it's pretty clear that 95% of the players use illegal copies.

But the point is how many of those 95% would have bought it if it would have been impossible to copy it? That's something you can't answer unless you have a perfect copy protection.

That I will agree with you on, but not all games require you to register to play that's why I'm wondering where the numbers come from cause they seem pretty high. Its only a recent thing where publishers like Ubisoft have required games to be launched via U-Play much like what Steam does through its start up verification process. I'm not dead set against DRM, but I don't like it when it has the potential to render a game unplayable.

Because a lot of people want everything for free and they just don't realize that what they are doing is nothing else but a kind of slavery (using the work of other but not willing to pay). Even my 99 cent titles all got pirated within 3 days - so it clearly is not about the poor "broke people" or overpricing.

To an extent, yes. I can tell you from personal experience that I have bought my last game at launch price after I've been burned on several titles being launched buggy and nearly unplayable; SimCity, Arkham City, New Vegas and probably others. Nothing makes me more ill than paying $60 for a game and then not being able to play it because they messed up something in the code, or it was a bad port to PC or the new DRM policy has broken it. I'm not saying that's the sole reason but I think people are timid about buying games these days cause they're worried they'll get screwed, I mean look at Gary's Incident.

Please don't think I'm defending pirating, I hate it but it has its benefits. Look at what it has done for SH5, a game that was all but DOA when it launched from either bad code or stuff just being flat out unfinished. I think what TDW was trying to say is that those guys who can crack the game and get the source code so they can fix the problems if a game is broken, not to do it for personal game. Look at the modding communities out there, how many games have those communities to thank for their longevity on the market? There's a bunch that are still around 10+ years later thanks to mods and community improvement.

v-i-c-
03-16-14, 08:31 AM
Please don't think I'm defending pirating, I hate it but it has its benefits. Look at what it has done for SH5, a game that was all but DOA when it launched from either bad code or stuff just being flat out unfinished. I think what TDW was trying to say is that those guys who can crack the game and get the source code so they can fix the problems if a game is broken, not to do it for personal game. Look at the modding communities out there, how many games have those communities to thank for their longevity on the market? There's a bunch that are still around 10+ years later thanks to mods and community improvement.

Pirating (and cracking) and unfinished games are two different things. Pirating happens always and always for the same reason: "I don't want to pay", while not all games are unfinished and a lot of games can be modded without cracking. But even if modding is not possible it's not a justification for cracking. What if the company does not want to see any user modifications? (for example to release another more complex version later) You don't own software or games you buy a license to use them "as is" - that's the deal. (sure "as is" should also mean "as advertised" and not "unfinished rubbish")

makman94
03-22-14, 05:00 AM
Pirating (and cracking) and unfinished games are two different things. Pirating happens always and always for the same reason: "I don't want to pay", while not all games are unfinished and a lot of games can be modded without cracking. But even if modding is not possible it's not a justification for cracking. What if the company does not want to see any user modifications? (for example to release another more complex version later) You don't own software or games you buy a license to use them "as is" - that's the deal. (sure "as is" should also mean "as advertised" and not "unfinished rubbish")

of course you are correct VIC to all your points but think about this too:

long time ago
edited

ps: if the game is good and the devs have really worked on it ,i will gladly pay even 100 euros for a real good sim

v-i-c-
03-22-14, 06:13 AM
i just don't want to give about 40-50 euros (isn't it their price when they firstly come out?) for 'experiments' on new games that is almost 95% the possibilities not to like them.

you see my point?

Yes, I know that point - but it is rare behavior.

But:

- When you watch a movie in cinema you pay something like $10,- for 90-120 minutes without knowing if you like it. No one starts crying "oh I want to test it first and will buy the DVD if it was good"

- A book costs $5-$100 - do you read it before buying it?

- When you eat in a Restaurant you might pay something like $10-$20, you don't know before if you like it.

- When you buy a new kind of Mars bar you pay $1 but you don't know if you like it. Most mobile Apps are $1,- and the piracy rate is 95%

- When mobile Apps are more "expensive" than $1,- people say it's rip-off, but they have no problem to pay $3.50 for each beer when going out (which is rip-off compared to the price in the supermarket)

But the main point is that the deal is to buy it for the price they want or just don't buy it. If they want you to be able to test it then they will release a demo. If the deal does not include to test it before then that's the deal.
Why do some people think they have some special rights to alter that deal?

The developers do it for a living, the customers buy for fun only.

Sailor Steve
03-22-14, 10:23 AM
long time ago i installed a cracked version of sh3.
later i installed a cracked version of sh4,took a look at it and then i bought 1 original copy of it.
finaly, i installed a cracked version of sh5,took a look at it,delete it and never bought it.

at the end of the day ,there is NOT running any cracked game on my pc.
Before this discussion goes any further, I'm going to take this opportunity for a little reminder about Subsim's rules.
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account and permanent ban. We do not care what you do on your computer in your home, but do not discuss it here.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules2_faq_item

BigBANGtheory
03-22-14, 11:07 AM
The whole SHO concept was dead from the start the way Blue Byte were doing it.

Its a real shame to see such wasted effort, but they wouldn't listen, thought they knew their market better than they actually did and got it completely wrong.

I've nothing against Blue Byte and their community manager should be applauded for giving some straight answers. Next time guys listen to your market and customer base before leaping into ivory tower development.

ReallyDedPoet
03-22-14, 11:37 AM
Played it about 3-4 times, compared to SH 3, 4 and 5 which I still play to this day.

makman94
03-28-14, 01:37 PM
Before this discussion goes any further, I'm going to take this opportunity for a little reminder about Subsim's rules.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules2_faq_item

i am asking sorry SS if i broke the rules ,but -i believe that you can see it-my point was not to encourage people to piracy . on the contrary , i said exactly the opposite.
my point is in my whole post so please quote,at your post, the whole of it and not the parts that are containing the 'forbiden' words. i understand your point but it is also not looking nice the 'cutted' quotes

Sailor Steve
03-28-14, 02:37 PM
i am asking sorry SS if i broke the rules ,but -i believe that you can see it-my point was not to encourage people to piracy . on the contrary , i said exactly the opposite.
my point is in my whole post so please quote,at your post, the whole of it and not the parts that are containing the 'forbiden' words. i understand your point but it is also not looking nice the 'cutted' quotes
My warning was for everyone, and it was a warning to be careful. If you had broken the rules you would be in the brig now, and not able to post this. I used your post because you said that though you don't now you did at one point have a cracked version on your computer. Neal Stevens has a very special relationship with the game companies, and we don't want anyone to change that relationship just because they have something to say. Even that little bit could cause serious harm to Subsim.

The rule says we don't mention it at all, and in the future please obey that rule. If not, there will be consequences.

Admiral Halsey
03-28-14, 03:16 PM
What's with the no asking for a manual rule? I've not only lost manuals to my games before but back before I was somewhat computer savvy(Basically smart enough to know how NOT to mess the computer up accidentally) I even deleted the PDF manuals that came with the games.(This was back when I had a computer that only had 512 megabytes of ram with which to download games) Thinking i'd put the manuals on my bookshelves and would never lose them. Well I lost them and it was thanks to the members of the forums of the games I had that I was able to get new ones.

cloadmcally
11-07-15, 11:07 AM
If you ask me, the only thing we can do is to wait.
I'll explaine a little bit better:
Take the sim city franchise, EA screwd it over and an Indie development studios i.e. Colossal Order built "Cities skylines" wich is an apsolutely awesome game, and it had a publisher like paradox behind the project which actually cares about the content she releases.
I hope the same is gonna happen for the roller coaster tycoon series and obviously for sh.
So People be patient, it looks like a god of games still looks at us after all

ExFishermanBob
11-10-15, 12:49 PM
I have to say that I find games companies particularly slow-witted with regards to their back-catalogues.

Consider a re-released SH3 with nothing extra other than up-to-date graphics and support for wide-screen (or even multiple screens), that would still function with mods and existing saved games. Would I pay to upgrade? - yes ( even with knowing that there are mods out there to do that already). More of the same, but a little better, as it were.

The same applies to the original CoD UO - a simple update to more modern graphics would be good... and probably a large number of still-played older games could support that model. Much better than micro-transactions.

Still, what do I know. :hmmm:

CaptainRamius
11-27-15, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure this freemium is beyond dead.
After Silent a Hunter 5, Ubisoft's commitment to great Subsim has gone down the drain. That's a (huge) shame, because I'm a long time Silent Hunter fan. :nope:

ReLax
12-13-15, 08:25 AM
I wonder that this game is still online. I was involved years ago in the closed beta of SHO and I had several discussions with developers and the community managers.
When I began to point out what is broken with this game, what is needed in that game, it became clear that nor BlueByte or Ubisoft ever intendet to make SHO suitable for us.
It was the last attempt to make Silent Hunter open for a bigger crowd with a comepletly dumped down gameplay and everything suitet for playing it in the browser so nobody has get into the game further then knowing what a torpedo is.

Furthermore, I have to say that we won't get a new subsim in the next years. The best thing which can us simmers happen, would be an EaglyDynamics approach. A developer/publisher providing a platform for third party developer which provide the submarines. This business modell can survive with low customer numbers, everything else the time is over in my humble opinion.

Anyway a nice sunday!

v-i-c-
12-13-15, 09:07 AM
I
Furthermore, I have to say that we won't get a new subsim in the next years.

That's just not true.

Satch
12-17-15, 08:54 PM
Didn't something similar happen with the Falcon 4.0 community? But it may have been due to Microprose going out of business.
Microprose didn't go out of business. Gillman Louie sold it to another company. He went on to bigger and better things in the security business.
The Falcon 4.0 code was stolen and distributed at large. I came across a copy and contacted Atari/Hasbro/Infograms (dont want to remember which one)AKA The owners. to purchase a license to legitimately create a follow on release to be called Falcon 5.0. I paid $100,000 for the license. My effort to produce this legitimate game was destroyed by lieing, cheating and outright theft.
The insane nightmare that followed began when one of the pirate groups made a deal with owners to convert their pirated version into a releasable game. The rest of the story is for another day.

ReLax
12-18-15, 05:40 PM
That's just not true.
Nope? Tell me more, and don't tell me your WOTA will be the next generation of subsim's. Because everything I read about it, it will be just an arcade like iOS game currently. Your survey is comepletly for iOS users and I doubt currently that it will be easily ported to PC and you alone can do the work of big developement teams investing in the Silent Hunter Series, in Dangerous Waters or the third party developer do into the DCS Add Ons.
Im too cynical to believe this, but it will be a pleasure to see that I'm wrong, and If I'm wrong I will be instantly buy WOTA. But until now, its for me a SHO on steroids.

v-i-c-
12-18-15, 05:50 PM
Then you've got wrong information.
I'm working since almost since 7 years on it. In some aspects it is already superior to the Silent Hunter Series (the whole hydrodynamics) and it won't be arcade.

cherbert
12-21-15, 12:47 PM
Then you've got wrong information.
I'm working since almost since 7 years on it. In some aspects it is already superior to the Silent Hunter Series (the whole hydrodynamics) and it won't be arcade.

If you are so committed to releasing something of this quality why are you persisting on making it an iPad game? If you intend on such a serious simulation why not switch over to PC?

v-i-c-
12-21-15, 01:03 PM
It will be available for Mac, Linux and Windows. That was always the plan. It was easier to publish on iOS than on desktop, that's why iOS comes first.

CaptainRamius
12-22-15, 03:03 AM
It will be available for Mac, Linux and Windows. That was always the plan. It was easier to publish on iOS than on desktop, that's why iOS comes first.

Any idea when? The release keeps getting pushed further and further away :wah:

v-i-c-
12-22-15, 05:25 AM
Should be released for iOS in early April.

CaptainRamius
12-22-15, 07:00 AM
Should be released for iOS in early April.

Great, not too far off :up:

ReLax
12-22-15, 02:07 PM
How long do you plan for the portation from iOS to PC? Because as long as it is not on PC for me, and this is my point of view, it won't be a subsim.
And my estimation was in the next years, so how is your roadmap when your iOS release for the Arcade Variant I think is in April?

frogazboll
03-18-16, 08:49 AM
so is this game dead? and if not how do i get it? huge fan of silent hunter games

Aktungbby
03-18-16, 09:29 AM
frogazboll!:Kaleun_Salute: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2380357#post2380357 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2380357#post2380357)

Jimbuna
03-18-16, 11:26 AM
Welcome to SubSim frogazboll :sunny: