PDA

View Full Version : Manual targetting and quick solution to hit closing or circling destroyers

aloe1
02-22-14, 03:12 AM
Please can someone help, I find myself in situations of a destroyer bearing down on me or circling me.

I want to send some quick fish but cannot seem to master how to do this quickly without having to goto the map and do all the calculations.

Does anyone know as when I try to do it my fish just go off in the wrong direction.

Thanks

Sniper297
02-22-14, 04:51 AM
That's why;
(1) They fired a spread of torpedoes - for a 90 degree attack on a slow moving steady course merchant, they would aim one to miss ahead, one to miss behind, and one or two (depending on the size of the target ship) to hit somewhere near the middle. If the target sped up, slowed down, and/or turned, one of the torpedoes aimed to miss would hit it.
(2) Other than Sam Dealey of the USS Harder, most sub skippers avoided shooting at destroyers since they're so difficult to hit - fire a spread of six at close range and the blasted tin can weaves through all of them like a ninja.

That said, my method for impossible shots;
Hit the minus key - that centers the periscope on zero. Select the stadimeter and crank the mast height to max. Set speed to zero, angle on the bow to zero.

Now you have the TDC set for a zero gyro angle shot, the fish will go straight ahead. Got a target crossing from left to right set the crosshairs on 345 to 350 (10 to 15 degrees left of center, depending on the speed of the target) and fire when he hits the crosshairs. Fire several a few seconds apart and one is bound to hit.

Got a destroyer coming straight at you, go through the same steps, but fire one with the scope straight ahead, aim 5 degrees left and click the "send range and bearing to TDC" button, fire two. Move the crosshairs over to five degrees right of center, hit the "send range and bearing to TDC" button again, fire three. That gives you a spread so if he turns left #1 will hit, turns right #3 will hit, doesn't turn #2 hits him in the nose.

Main thing is rather than trying to do all those calculations and measurements in a hurry, just set speed zero AOB zero and range to whatever the max is for the stadimeter with no target (around 1000 to 1200 yards) and use the "angle off" eyeball method - the theory behind that is the range doesn't matter if the angle is correct. For that to work you MUST make sure angle on the bow is zero and speed is zero, otherwise the TDC will try to compensate and the torpedo won't go in the direction you're pointing the scope.

TorpX
02-22-14, 08:13 PM
Please can someone help, I find myself in situations of a destroyer bearing down on me or circling me.

I want to send some quick fish but cannot seem to master how to do this quickly without having to goto the map and do all the calculations.

I would advise you avoid them as much as possible. Hitting a destroyer when you are facing the sharp end, is not easy, and they can readily turn aside from your torpedoes. Hitting a circling DD might be worthwhile, under favorable circumstances. However, you should know, they accelerate and turn exceedingly well in this game, so they have a big advantage here.

If you must engage them, Sniper's method is probably as good as any.

anotherdemon
02-22-14, 08:29 PM
Set range for all your torps at max. This way it'll follow the bearing your scope is pointing at when you send the data.

Set for mag., shallow, and slow (well, set for whatever here, but you're going to want shallow and mag.).

Put the crosshair on the bearing you want to fire along, and hit the "send" button (is it "send"? I can't remember. It's the button you use to conform all your data inputs anyway). Fire. Do the same for each torp. along a different bearing (remember to hit "send" for each torp. before you fire it).

Make sure to open all tubes so there's no delay when you send one off.

To kill a DD. coming straight at you (front or rear):

Send one torp down its throat (this one won't hit as she'll go evasive)
send one about five degrees left of her
one five degrees right of her
one 10 degrees left
one 10 degrees right
(since you've opened all your tubes, there's little delay)

The DD will more than likely take one and die.

merc4ulfate
02-23-14, 04:21 PM
I lead close destroyers by 5 to 10 degrees and set them for magnetic detonators.