PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Cards_fan
02-19-14, 08:54 PM
I know this has been discussed in the past but just thought it might be interesting to see the different answers now. I'm just getting back into SH4 and was trying to recreate the old setup. A while back I used to run Real Fleet Boat in conjunction with the Run Silent Run Deep Campaign. After some research it seems the two are no longer compatible.

So this sparks my question, what are the general opinions out there of the various super mods. I personally have preferred RFB in the past as opposed to TMO because I thought TMO just made certain things harder than they needed to be. That being said I haven't tried the majority of what is out there and am far from being an expert so I was hoping some of you might be able to fill me.

What are some of the major differences in TMO and RFB? Both seem to be very popular but are there any sticking points that makes you prefer one to the other? Also does RSRD change anything other than the disposition of enemy shipping or does it affect gameplay as well. I have heard that Fall of the Rising Sun is also something worth checking out, I haven't tried it personally but what makes it unique for the better or worse. While not necessarily a super the traveler mod seems to be very popular so maybe I should include that in my list of possibilities. Finally Operation Monsun, is it worth a shot? Besides the obvious inclusion of many more theatres of operation does it change gameplay as well?

I know this is quite a broad subject so please don't feel as if I am bombarding the forum. After reading the mod descriptions I thought that perhaps a little bit more could be learned from those who have actually used them. I know that I could certainly use some help being pointed in the right direction and maybe some others could as well.

TG626
02-19-14, 10:00 PM
I'm still playing vanilla sh4 so I can't really help on the mods, but welcome aboard.

fireftr18
02-19-14, 10:08 PM
I run TMO with RSRD. RSRD returns the skill level of the AI to what it generally was historically. You can still end up with an "elite" crew early in the war, and a "rookie" crew late in the war. It changes airplanes to historical patrol routes. This is the first I heard that RFB and the latest RSRD are incompatible.

Admiral Halsey
02-19-14, 10:22 PM
I'm still playing vanilla sh4 so I can't really help on the mods, but welcome aboard.

Dude you've got to get out of stock ASAP!!! If nothing else you should download GFO.(That's the Game Fixes Only mod.)

TorpX
02-20-14, 12:24 AM
I know this has been discussed in the past but just thought it might be interesting to see the different answers now. I'm just getting back into SH4 and was trying to recreate the old setup. A while back I used to run Real Fleet Boat in conjunction with the Run Silent Run Deep Campaign. After some research it seems the two are no longer compatible.

RFB and RSRDC are compatible. You just have to use the right version of RSRDC.

RFB_2.0 (Real Fleet Boat)
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575 (Run Silent Run Deep Campaign)
RSRDC_RFBV5xx_Patch1

There are separate versions of RSRDC for TMO, and stock.

Sailor Steve
02-20-14, 11:31 AM
Real Fleet Boat: Tries to stick as close as possible to historical parameters, i.e. how the AI reacts, sensor levels and the like.

Trigger Maru Overhauled: Makes things a little harder than real life on the principle that if it's precisely accurate then the player knows exactly what's going on and has an advantage, whereas with TMO you never know quite what the enemy can do, and thus have to play more realistically.

Fall Of The Rising Sun: I've never played it, so I can't comment.

Operation Monsun: Is a German u-boat campaign only. It tries to give what you had with SH3, but with SH4's better graphics and routines.