PDA

View Full Version : 6 Things Movies Don't Show You About Life on a Submarine

Subnuts
01-31-14, 08:00 PM
Pretty interesting/funny article from Someone Who Was There (TM):
http://www.cracked.com/article_20871_6-things-movies-dont-show-you-about-life-submarine.html

Kapitan_Phillips
01-31-14, 08:24 PM
Thanks for sharing! :hmmm:

Aktungbby
01-31-14, 08:40 PM
Still cannot compare to taking a dump in front of the engine room crew on a communal can between the engines ("jumbos") of a Nazi Uboot...just so the head, off the galley, could be used for food storage! On a sub, crewmen are necessarily...pieces of equipment. :o O to be on watch on the con deck! at least ya could breath...till a big wave spooged the lookout station and swept the watchmen from the con, as on one sorty!...the alternative: a rifle and a one way ticket to Stalingrad...or 'Nam...or as Pete Seeger had it "Waist deep in the Big Muddy" The horror isn't that it's so bad, it's that it's is so much worse other ways. :/\\!!

razark
01-31-14, 08:47 PM
as Bob Seeger had it "Waist deep in the Big Muddy"
:nope:
Not even a week, and they're already forgetting your name, Pete!

Aktungbby
01-31-14, 09:03 PM
GOT ME! ...fixed-especially as I posted three of his anthems in "what's hot for Pete's sake" to boot ':nope:

Wolferz
01-31-14, 09:28 PM
And to think I was going to be a nuke right out of high school. Glad they turned me down.:huh: Maybe carrier duty.:up:

Jimbuna
02-01-14, 06:30 AM
"Everything stinks and even the surface sucks"

How apt :)

ETR3(SS)
02-01-14, 09:07 AM
And to think I was going to be a nuke right out of high school. Glad they turned me down.:huh: Maybe carrier duty.:up: Well dodged that bullet didn't ya? Being a non-nuc on a submarine is a lot easier, only numbers 1-5 apply. Carrier? BIG TARGET FOR SUBMARINES.

Wolferz
02-01-14, 03:23 PM
Well dodged that bullet didn't ya? Being a non-nuc on a submarine is a lot easier, only numbers 1-5 apply. Carrier? BIG TARGET FOR SUBMARINES.

Just have to depend on their AWACS and ASW aircraft.
Sonar bouys and all that.:smug:
GET to da CHOPPA!

Schroeder
02-01-14, 06:07 PM
GET to da CHOPPA!
Are AWACS systems even capable of detecting ground targets? I thought they were just for airborne objects.:hmm2:

Wolferz
02-02-14, 05:14 AM
Are AWACS systems even capable of detecting ground targets? I thought they were just for airborne objects.:hmm2:

AWACS= Air Warning And Command System. I'm sure they have the gear for monitoring sonar bouys to find a sub. But, don't quote me on it.:yep:

Schroeder
02-02-14, 06:09 AM
AWACS= Air Warning And Command System. I'm sure they have the gear for monitoring sonar bouys to find a sub. But, don't quote me on it.:yep:
Last time I checked it was Airborne Warning and Control System...:know:
But I couldn't find anything on that they also take part in observing ground or sea targets.

Jimbuna
02-02-14, 06:36 AM
I wasn't 100% sure but according to this site the answer is yes:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/air-force-aviation/can-awacs-detect-track-ground-targets-3879/

Catfish
02-02-14, 06:36 AM
There has to be some automatic drill, especially in submarines, and especially especially for nuclear ones..

However how they do it in that school, i wonder whether the outcome is so 'professional' lol :-?

Wolferz
02-02-14, 08:16 AM
Last time I checked it was Airborne Warning and Control System...:know:
But I couldn't find anything on that they also take part in observing ground or sea targets.

I know. I thought about correcting the mistake but, I'm feeling a bit lazy today.:arrgh!:

ReallyDedPoet
02-02-14, 08:55 AM
Nice one.

ETR3(SS)
02-02-14, 09:19 AM
GET to da CHOPPA!The only at sea ASW assets that a carrier has are it's choppers and the rest of the battle group. The E-2 Hawkeye is AEW only. They used to carry the S-3 Viking, but that's been retired from fleet use.

As far as land based aircraft for ASW, P-3 or P-8 only.

Schroeder
02-02-14, 10:07 AM
I wasn't 100% sure but according to this site the answer is yes:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/air-force-aviation/can-awacs-detect-track-ground-targets-3879/
Thanks.:salute: