PDA

View Full Version : Steam Digital DL

andym
01-31-14, 04:57 PM
Is the Steam Digital download version a "newer" version then those on a DVD?

TG626
01-31-14, 05:02 PM
The only fact I can contribute is that SHIV is still v1.3 and you can't update it to 1.4 (1.5 is the version that has the uboat missions)

As a result I wasted money on steam and then had to repurchase it on amazon digital download. I'd advise avoiding it on steam.

Go to amazon via the subsim link And search for it, I'm sure there's a download version.

andym
01-31-14, 05:21 PM
I only ask as i installed SH5 twice and it oint run properly,i get a 2 thirds window that shows thw opening scenes and has no sund.It did say that i hadnt a graphics driver 136.3 i think but its on a brand new computer with bang up to date drivers and beats the system reqs b a mile,i am just wondering if the DVD was an earlier version than the steam one.It is doing my head in!

GT182
01-31-14, 09:04 PM
Retail copy is the best way to go IMHO. Steam will not allow you to use TDW UI patcher. Install SH5 and patch to 1.2. If you are using NVidea drivers upadte to their latest graphics drivers... 326.??. The install JSGME and mod SH5 to get it to play as it should. Go into the SH5 mods forum and Check Sober's Mod list. Use it all or pick and choose the mods you want.

andym
02-01-14, 12:02 PM
I have the latest drivers,but i still am getting the same problem.I am at aloss for what to do next.

BigWalleye
02-01-14, 03:16 PM
I have the latest drivers,but i still am getting the same problem.I am at aloss for what to do next.

My suggestion: Go to amazon.com. Purchase the digital download of SH5 for $9.99. (Dinner for 2 at Mickey D's.) Install. It will include the latest version. Install and run JSGME. Unzip whatever mods you prefer to the /MODS subfolder in your SH5 game folder. Activate them with JSGME. Do download, set up, and activate the latest version of TDW's Generic Patcher. Enjoy.

andym
02-01-14, 04:20 PM
No can do Digital only for US customers and i am in UK

BigWalleye
02-01-14, 06:58 PM
Oh! I didn't know that. I beg your pardon.

Sailor Steve
02-01-14, 07:12 PM
No can do Digital only for US customers and i am in UK
Got to the Amazon link under Quick Links. You'll see several sites listed, including Amazon.co.uk.

Yes, they are all on disc, but they are also insanely cheap (I see one for ₤1.49). :sunny:

Trevally.
02-02-14, 04:39 AM
I only ask as i installed SH5 twice and it oint run properly,i get a 2 thirds window that shows thw opening scenes and has no sund.It did say that i hadnt a graphics driver 136.3 i think but its on a brand new computer with bang up to date drivers and beats the system reqs b a mile,i am just wondering if the DVD was an earlier version than the steam one.It is doing my head in!

I am sure that the game version that you buy will not matter as no version has the update v1.2 (v0102 or something like that)
This update patch can be run by going here C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\Support\GameUpdater\GU.exe
so make sure you have this newest version by looking top right main menu screen

The system check for this game is faulty and will tell you that your graphics card is no good - do not listen to this - it doesn't work
Also - this game does not like to be moved after install - so for best results install it where IT wants to go (C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5)
TDWs mods can fix this if you must install it elsewhere

good luck:salute:

andym
02-02-14, 07:44 AM
I got the £1.49 job,but its still not installing right.There is no choice for its destination folder,it just starts to install without asking the destination folder.I dont even get a desktop icon to launch the game.Its doing my head in!also i have to start the disc by clicking on the DVD in "computer" rather than a button /screen button.

TG626
02-02-14, 10:17 AM
Look in games folder of the programs menu.

Da11en47
02-03-14, 03:23 PM
Did I just mess up buying it on Steam then?

I was hoping on installing The Wolves of Steel mod

Should I have any problems or need to know anything else?