PDA

View Full Version : SH3 won't start Windows8

Doekoe27
01-20-14, 04:22 PM
I recently installed SH3 on my laptop. Windows 8. Installed GWX3.0. 4g Patch also. I start the game as administrator with NVIDIAGforce710M. It's the starforce version from Ubisoft . I bought that longtime ago on GamesPlanet.com.

The game loads and i can make a carreer. I can manage my crew and sub. When loading the first mission i get a black screen with "game paused". I can see my mousecursor but the game won't start. Backspace and "+" on numpad doesn't work either.:/\\!!

Recently is played SH3 on my desktop on Windows7. No problems.

SH4 en SH5 working fine on my laptop, but i like to play my favorite SH3.

Questions:
Is there a solution for my problem? or
Are mod(s) available for SH5 simulating SH3? I don't like the walking around and the crew on SH5.

Help please,
René
Holland

Doekoe27
01-22-14, 11:43 AM
I recently installed SH3 on my laptop. Windows 8. Installed GWX3.0. 4g Patch also. I start the game as administrator with NVIDIAGforce710M. It's the starforce version from Ubisoft . I bought that longtime ago on GamesPlanet.com.

The game loads and i can make a carreer. I can manage my crew and sub. When loading the first mission i get a black screen with "game paused". I can see my mousecursor but the game won't start. Backspace and "+" on numpad doesn't work either.:/\\!!

Recently is played SH3 on my desktop on Windows7. No problems.

SH4 en SH5 working fine on my laptop, but i like to play my favorite SH3.

Questions:
Is there a solution for my problem? or
Are mod(s) available for SH5 simulating SH3? I don't like the walking around and the crew on SH5.

Help please,
René
Holland

I solved my problem. Switched to SH5 with TDW SH3 UI. Play's very well.I'm hunting again.

HW3
01-22-14, 03:47 PM
Check your careers folder in my documents. Under main config check that the time compression settings are present, if not, copy the ones from the game into the my documents one and save. It should work now.

BigWalleye
01-22-14, 04:43 PM
Is there a solution for my problem?

Yes. Go to Amazon. Plunk down $9.99 (= 2 Starbucks Vente Lattes) and download SH3 without Starforce. Install and go, carefree. You'll have access to any and all SH3 mods, including the megamods like GWX, NYGM, and LSH3.

If you like SH3, you can play SH3. You don't have to play SH5 with an SH3 GUI.

Of course, if you like SH5, that's OK too. YMMV. But you don't have to use SH5 to play SH3 under Win8.

scott_c2911
01-22-14, 07:20 PM
I second what hw3 says. Ive saved many a career doing that. Its an absolute lifesaver. Its quite common for the main.cfg file in the careers folder to become corrupt. Im not sure why it happens but it sometimes occurs whenever chkdsk runs or if a bluescreen serious error occurs while playing. I have no experience trying to run sh3 on windows 8 though. The main.cfg file when opened should have the basic settings and time compression settings written in text. If its corrupt it reads 0000000000000000000 for one line. Open with notepad if thats still in use on windows 8 to check it

SKI
01-22-14, 08:30 PM
Not to be the stick in the mud, but the idea of having to pay again for a game that I bought when it wasn't cheap seems to be a scam. I think those of us who were subjected to the Starforce problems and have a copy with a key should either be able to get a free download or a hard copy.

Johnfb
01-23-14, 05:13 AM
Not to be the stick in the mud, but the idea of having to pay again for a game that I bought when it wasn't cheap seems to be a scam. I think those of us who were subjected to the Starforce problems and have a copy with a key should either be able to get a free download or a hard copy.

:yeah: I very much agree with that

GreyBeard
01-23-14, 07:25 AM

No need to pay for it. Read here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160118

BigWalleye
01-23-14, 07:51 AM

I agree with that completely. But I don't have any influence over Ubisoft's ethics and I'd rather play the game than stand on principle for a ten buck game. Of course, that is just my opinion. YMMV

Johnfb
01-23-14, 07:56 AM
No need to pay for it. Read here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160118

I think the poster means get the game without having to update patch crack etc.

However I did a complete reload of original SH3 from old DVD this morning and updated to gwx using patch and game crack !

Now running:
Original SH3 from DVD
Updated 1.4
No cd fix patch/crack
GWX
SHCommander
SHCommander GWX cfg files
Mods

Tricky if you are not computer minded but ok if you are.

:salute:

SKI
01-27-14, 01:26 AM
Problem now is the no DVD fix has been banned it seems. Nothing but malware, adware, and viruses remain in it's place. :woot:

GreyBeard
01-27-14, 07:01 AM
Problem now is the no DVD fix has been banned it seems. Nothing but malware, adware, and viruses remain in it's place. :woot:

Huh? Wha? Don't know where you are looking, obviously in the wrong place. I just googled for it, found it immediately, d'loaded it, scanned it for malware/viruses with no problems detected and compared it to what I have already and can see nothing wrong. Took me longer to write this response then it did to retrieve the archive.

:salute:

Johnfb
01-27-14, 07:24 AM

Must disagree with you. Patch is still there to be downloaded . Just google it , it's there

GreyBeard
01-27-14, 07:47 AM
Moderator - please delete - double post. Thank you!

SKI
01-27-14, 08:24 AM
I stand corrected. I was able to get the .rar file with my phone. Not sure why my desktop would not download the file. It may have been an anti virus software issue, could be a setting in the browser, it is a new install of 8.1. Thanks. Between the hardware and software issues I have had with this new build I hope this machine lasts 11 years like the last one.:)

Sailor Steve
01-27-14, 08:48 AM
I can see the point of not wanting to pay again for something you've already paid full price for, and I agree in principle. I, on the other hand, was homeless for awhile. This isn't about that, but about the fact that when I was "homed" again all my stuff was buried in boxes and I wanted to play NOW! At that point ten bucks didn't seem like much at all to have a new Starforce-free copy two days later. I guess it all depends on where you're at when a decision has to be made. If I couldn't find my discs now I would cheerfully buy it again. :sunny:

CTU_Clay
01-27-14, 02:28 PM
TO HW3

Greetings HW3.
In following this thread you said, Check your careers folder in my documents. Under main config check that the time compression settings are present, if not, copy the ones from the game into the my documents one and save. It should work now.

Please confirm: Both areas as you noted should have the same time compression settings?

Clay

Mittelwaechter
01-27-14, 04:25 PM
With the first start of the game the main.cfg from the installation path is copied to MyDocuments. This copy is read by the game and relevant for your gameplay as long as it exists.
Consequences?
Editing the copy will change your game settings, but if you delete the copy, the unedited original will be used as reference for the next game.