PDA

View Full Version : What scale has the graduation of periscope ?

Teed
01-20-14, 06:37 AM
Binoculars has in miliradians scale. It is very useful to estimation of distance and proportion of target. What scale has the graduation of periscope ?

Teed

fireftr18
01-20-14, 09:27 AM
I think stock game, the scale is just there for looks and doesn't really do anything. Mods change that, particularly OTC. OTC is accurate to the real markings. I'm not sure the exact scale.

CapnScurvy
01-20-14, 10:51 AM
The "real life" Telemeter marks (hash marks on the scope) of the American periscope are based on a 32 degree Field of View. Each mark is scaled to be exactly one degree in width. At 1000 yards distance, one degree of width subtends 52.35 feet......its this basis that the scope view is made. The only trouble with this is the game doesn't have the "world view" as it should. The world view (what you see through the scope lens) is considerably smaller than what it should be, making the Telemeter divisions only "eye candy". Using accurate dimensions are fruitless as long as the "measuring stick" isn't measuring accurately. In the game, there are indeed 32 divisions across the scope lens.....the problem lies in the world view not being accurately scaled to the divisions. Try reading my OTC "Discussion" part found HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181172).

The beauty of the American periscope (compared to the German scopes) is the fact that with a Low magnification of 1.5x, or the High magnification of 6.0x, the Telemeter divisions are multiples of 32.......no matter which magnification you choose. The multiple number is 4, that's why the divisions are marked with every fourth one being larger.

Fractions in the U.S. Customary measuring system (no we don't use the Imperial System!!) are common:
1/3 of a yard=1foot
1/12 of a foot=1inch
1/4 of an inch= ......well, its a quarter inch........a quarter coin is 1/4 of a U.S. Dollar. A quarter of an hour is 15 minutes. :timeout:

Anyway, we are surrounded with the use of fractions in most of our lives. The U.S. Customary System makes heavy use of them.

Teed
01-29-14, 10:25 AM
Hello CapnScurvy

I thank for your answer, hard to belter.

I was surprised. Surprised with quality of your work, its detailing and professional. And – especially – with hard work you did. Capn-Scurvy – chapeau bas!

I did not tried omnimetr yet, presently I only try to familiarize with it. I know his device from SUBMARINE TORPEDO FIRE CONTROL MANUAL. Presently I build Submarine Attack Course Finder Mk. 1 Mod 3.

By the way: do you know maybe similar work on WW I torpedo aiming? I already read article by Frank Kulicka: http://www.valoratsea.com/notdc.htm

Teed