PDA

View Full Version : Unusual CTD at SH 5

Cond
01-18-14, 03:42 PM
Hello!

I've been trying to get the HUNTER MOD PACK v13 work with SH 5 but I get Crash to Desktops when I approach the cities,ports. That's the only part of the game when I have CTD's. I spent 10-15 real time hours in the sea west of England without any kind of CTD but when I try to cross the La Manche I always get CTD. By the way I got CTD when I try to resupply at Wilhelmshaven. So basically I try to avoid the cities.

So I started the campaign jumped the Tut. without "silentotto" and went to Kiel WITHOUT MODS. And after that I enabled the mods and load back my Kiel save and continue from Kiel but after 10-15 ingame days it turned out that it was still useless because none of the cities,ports are approachable.

My machine is much more than enough. I run always at 59-60 FPS with maxed out graph.

I have 1.02 patch applied. I checked out my save games after I disabled the mods and it worked, I could pass the point when in other instance I got crash to desktop with mods.

So it's 99,99% that it's in the mod in my opinion. The reason I'm writing here is to ask from you that which mod can cause these CTDs ?

Here are the mods that I use: ( HUNTER PACK v13 )
http://donzorro.hu/FORUM_NEW/news.php?readmore=8

Accurate German Flags
sobers game loading tips V8 SH5
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2
SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2.2 Patch
sobers multi color mod V5
DynEnv v2.9 - 1. Main Mod
DynEnv v2.9 - 5.c Ambient Settings - Darker Nights-No Murky Waters
DynEnv v2.9 - 12. Sounds
Small_trees_SH5_V1
sobers smoke screen V1 SH5 (DynEnv compatible)
sobers water splash anim SH5
sobers best ever fog V22 SH5
sobers base sky mechanics V1
sobers better terrain v3 SH5
sobers waves mod V12 27032013
sobers more trees SH5
SH5_7A_Conning_Fix
Fuel Gauge WoGaDi_SteelViking's Interior
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_byTheBeast
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1
#Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1_HotFix
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_v1_4_Patch_1 (available by date) V9 by sober
EUF_UBoat_FX_v0_0_3_ byTheBeast
FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_22_Torpedoes (modified for torpedoes failure patches)
AI_sub_crew_1_0_2_TheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_alt_officer_wounded_by_Torpedo
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_RadCapTools_0_2_alpha
Submarine's .sim&cfg (modified for engine ratio + independent control patches)
Sjizzle's - Charts for NewUIs part1_07.06.2013
Manos Scopes-patch for 16x9
IRAI_0_0_39_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_39_ByTheDarkWraith_Patch_1
R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2
R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2 - no hyd on surface - NewUIs-IRAI compatible
Depth Charge Fix Reduced Explosion Range
Cerberus62 Corrected Depth Charge Projector 1.0
Reworked Morale and Abilities v.1.1
MFCMCCDLite
Speech fixes and additions (english version)
sobers green crew training V4 SH5
TDW FX Fix for Sobers chimney smoke
OPEN HORIZONS II_full v2.2
R.S.D. - Reworked Submarine Damage v5.4 by vdr1981
R.S.D. & R.E.M. - GHG Hydrophone add-on (no hyd on surface)
SkyBaron's Leigh Light for SH5 1.1
Sobers Terrain fix for OH2 V2.2
RPM Hydrophone v2.2.1
Expanded Navies by Cybermat47 v.1.0.01
smaller flags for Warships 1_0b
sobers Lights Cfg V5 SH5
Trevally Tutorial - All v0.2(for OHIIv1.3)
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
Trevally Harbour & Kiel Canal Pilot v3.1
Trevally TDC Help v2
MadMaxs_SH5_Subdiesel (mono) v2
sobers hud sounds V1 SH5
sobers no footstep sound mod
sobers Realistic contrast V6 SH5
EQuaTool 01.01 by AvM - Large Style
AOB slide ruller for TDW UIs and MO by stoianm
Warfox deck crew always whispering SH5 German Version
gap - HD 1 deg Scope Bearing v 1.0
Shadow Improvement ModLR
sobers bad weather deck gun V5 SH5
sobers map colors SH5 V1
Better Torpedo Graphics v2
Sub_Exhaust_1_0_5_byTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_Das_Boot_Crew
DBM Background Video
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_ERM_Reaper7_NightVision
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_gap_Sextant_Mask_Eye_Reflection
NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_WWIIInterface_by_naights
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51
AilBubbles 1.0 Micro
!HUNter_Pack_v13_Missions!

It's very frustrating because now I absolved the 4 bearing method and I don't have a chance to check it out. And by the way this mod pack is quite good too,so it would be a shame if I can't apply this pack. But others report it,that they can run it.

I installed it through JGSME,load mod or something.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me out because the only reason I came back to this game is this mod pack,because it makes the game so real,beautiful,playable that it quite worth playing.

I really,really wish that somebody know the cure for this problem because I just felt the opportunity,complexity,challenge of this game when this happened and it has driven crazy since.

And lastly sorry if I intrude in anybody's comfort zone with this side topic creation and help request.

Aktungbby
01-19-14, 12:17 AM
Welcome aboard COND!:Kaleun_Salute:

Cond
01-19-14, 02:41 AM
Thank you very much Aktungbby. I hope somebody can give me a hand with my issue.

Cond
01-19-14, 07:39 AM
I narrowed my problem to msvcr90.dll module fault. I checked it at the event viewer. I read that I have to uninstall the Virtual Studios C++ series, so after that I uninstalled all of them,but I still have that CTD when approaching ports.

volodya61
01-19-14, 07:49 AM
..I read that I have to uninstall the Visual Studios C++ series, so after that I uninstalled all of them..

:o
You need C++ to play this game..

Try to reduce/cut off your mod-list.. this is not C++ issue, too many mods and game engine doesn't work correctly..

Cond
01-19-14, 08:08 AM
:o
You need C++ to play this game..

Try to reduce/cut off your mod-list.. this is not C++ issue, too many mods and game engine doesn't work correctly..

Thank's for your reply.

But the problem is that thousands of players use this mod pack,and I'm in connection with the mod creator who doesn't have such problem.

So there must be something with my Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll. And by the way I have way better hardware than a lot of regular Hunter mod pack users so the hardware disorder is outlined.

I am still searching the pages to find something about repairing the MSVCR90.dll. By the way I uninstalled all the C++ and I was still able to start the game.

BigWalleye
01-19-14, 08:11 AM
volodnya, I don't think that is quite accurate. AFAIK, the game engine neither knows nor cares how many mods you have activated. All the game engine sees is a set of files that it uses to control its execution. These files always have the same filenames. Whether the files have been replaced or changed is transparent to the game engine.

Activating many mods does increase the risk of mod-to-mod incompatibilities. Mod A changes File X. Mod B does not change File X (so there is no overwrite alert from JSGME), but it does change File Y in such a way that the game engine now needs the stock version of File X to run properly, not Mod A's version. The result is unpredictable, and probably not good.

That said, a mod list can be pretty huge (100 or more) and still run perfectly well, as long as all the mods keep out of one another's way. But the only way to know whether mods are compatible is to activate and run the successfully. And with a big mod list, that can be a slow tedious process.

You are safest using a published mod list. Hopefully, the poster has done his homework and made sure the list is completely compatible. (If he hadn't, the screams on SubSim would quickly let you know.:D)

volodya61
01-19-14, 09:01 AM
@ Cond, BigWalleye

Okay guys.. I don't want to argue here.. I just said what I know about this game and about its engine.. I worked a lot with the game files for about two years.. and I can say only one thing - it's not a problem of C++.. it is a problem of the game engine.. just read carefully CTDs discussions over the last 2-4 months.. that's why Sober reduced his list.. thats why many people have CTDs.. and I know that I'm right here..

more mods = more unexplained CTDs..

Cond
01-19-14, 09:27 AM
Volodya61 I ( and I think nobody) argued with you. We are just discussing the problem.

By the way I made some steps forward: so my game breaking problem was at La Manche channel, I couldn't crpss it. Simply it dropped me out with CTD. But now I ran CC Cleaner's registry maintenance part and after that I could cross through the channel. Much more I could drop my anchor at Hamburg's port. But there were some CTDs DIRECTLY before Hamburg. About 20-25 km distance from it.
I used TC about 1536-2048 but when I was near the city I dropped it to 128-64which still gave me a a CTD but after that I tried 32 without the map which was okay. So not 100% okay. And after Hamburg the next city which is next to it between Kiel and Hamburg, I got a CTD there. So it just actually half solution.

By the way Volodya 61: How can you explain that for other modpack users this mod is working just fine? Without CTDs. So this pack must be good if there's at least one guy who can run it without problems. And actually there are few thousands of them. So this is why that this cannot be mod originated. Or at least this is my opinion. But if you have any kind of advice please feel free to write it because I will just check that out ingame.

BigWalleye
01-19-14, 10:52 AM
volodya, sorry, I didn't intend to start an argument. You are correct that the problem is not with C++. And that more mods can lead to unexplained CTDs. My comment was a technical niggle addressing the source of the CTD.

My understanding was that Sober's Mod List Lite was published to provide an alternative to his orignal list for gamers whose hardware could not handle the graphics and processing demands of the original Sober's Mod List. I didn't realize that its purpose was to reduce the total number of mods.

Cond
01-21-14, 04:07 AM
I'm trying out a new mod list to see if that helps. I will write the results because maybe somebody wears the same shoes as me.

Cond
01-21-14, 12:42 PM
It turned out that with Fifi's modlist ( most immersion ) I can run the game just fine. That's a very good molist if you would like to play with as realistic as possible and it's very spectacular graphically too.

And the game now only uses half of my 2 gb video memory. It uses just about 1000-1100 MB and runs 35-40 at open sea and 25-30 at port. Is it possible to extend the useable Video memory to 2 gb ? Maybe I will have more FPS to run a bit smoother.

THEBERBSTER
01-21-14, 01:25 PM
A warm welcome Cond to the Subsim family. :subsim: As you can see you will always find someone here to help you.:)

You have a number of mods that could cause ctd's AI Sub Crew is one of them. Sub Exhaust is suspect. Sky Barons Leigh Light ????

Sobers Realistic Contrast and D.E Darker Nights are these not both doing the same thing? Making things darker!

I cannot see the point of Sobers Bad Weather Deck Gun I have had ctd with this mod. It is hard enough trying to hit a target with the normal deck gun in bad weather why would you want to make it even harder?

Personally I think you could lose a few mods without missing them. You have Dynamics Env 2.9 with it's additions. If you read it's readme you can see why you do not need all the other environmental mods which takes all the good work being done by the base mod.

You have a large mod list (77) so when you approach harbours this opens up other aspects of the game that are not normally there and can cause ctd's to happen. Some subbers have suggested that you do a manual save I have found this to work. I then go back to the main menu and then select "load game". Doing this from a distance from a port can sometimes overcome this ctd problem.

Keep your TC low. Max 64 in port. Max 256 or less approaching from a distance. If you run high TC's at any point you are more than likely to get a ctd.

Reducing your mod list would possibly help especially by gaming standards your 2GB memory is quite small. SH5 is known to use quite large resources. You may have to start with the mods that you feel you just can't do without and if they work ok, build up from there.

When you keep getting ctd's especially towards the end of a mission this can be quite depressing when you have done all the hard work to get there.

One peculiarity is why some mods or mod list will work on one persons system and not on another. I can run TDW New UI but not Parts Magui.

Cond
01-21-14, 01:54 PM
Thank you TheBerbster. The CTD phase of my problem seem to be dealt with. I'm just trying to figure out how to locate all my VRAM ( video memory ) to the game not just half of it. And because of that I "only" have 35-40 FPS. So it's a bit strange that it doesn't use nearly 60% of my GPU and still runs on 35-40. Nor my CPU and memory usage exceed it's 50% range.