PDA

View Full Version : Any .exe patchers for the Steam version?

maillemaker
01-03-14, 02:11 AM
OK, I'm coming back to SH5 after a hiatus.

I've re-loaded from scratch and I am going to re-apply all the latest patches and mods from scratch to get the latest experience.

I've got the Steam game. If I'm reading right (some of these threads are 100 pages long and I have not read them all) you can't patch the Steam version of the game, right?

If so, what version do you suggest I buy to be able to patch it? Uplay?

Steve

maillemaker
01-03-14, 02:27 AM
Looks like you can't buy SH5 through uplay.

But you can get it from Amazon download for $10. Is that version patchable?

Steve

V13dweller
01-03-14, 03:27 AM
The .exe patcher only works for non-steam versions, you must buy a retail copy from any non-steam source.

Raven_2012
01-03-14, 01:39 PM
My copy of SH5 was from Steam. I just bought a copy from Amazon download and it worked fine. I uninstalled the steam version and deleted SH5 folder in My Documents folder. I didn't uninstall Ubisoft, which is fine.

When you reinstall game, go into your SH5 game folder and look to Support folder, then Gameupdater. It will update game to 1.2

When you start SH5, go into Ubisoft Launcher window and activate your new SH5. If you don't do that when you try to run SH5, it will try to install Steam SH5.

Once you done the activation you will have two SH5 games in Ubisoft, you just have to now find the right version to run.

The TDC Generic Patch works for the Amazon Downloaded game. So have fun.

OK, I'm coming back to SH5 after a hiatus.

I've re-loaded from scratch and I am going to re-apply all the latest patches and mods from scratch to get the latest experience.

I've got the Steam game. If I'm reading right (some of these threads are 100 pages long and I have not read them all) you can't patch the Steam version of the game, right?

If so, what version do you suggest I buy to be able to patch it? Uplay?

Steve

Raven_2012
01-03-14, 01:46 PM
This will also help you out to get Generic Patcher downloaded and working:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205620&page=5

I would use his Snapshot file at bottom for starting point. When you run it after setup, it will want to active some other dependable things in patch, say ok and let it.

The only thing I changed was in SHSim_Patch, the Torpedo settings. I turned all but the bottom one off. You will get tons of duds when duds are on. Like 1 or 2 out 5 will be good torpedoes. I can see where it would be good to add from historical point of view, but more towards end of Campaign, towards end of war where there were tons of malfunctions. Which personally I think were from sabotage.

volodya61
01-03-14, 03:10 PM
..You will get tons of duds when duds are on. Like 1 or 2 out 5 will be good torpedoes..

You have to enable one of the Torpedoes fixes modified for the torpedoes patches located in the MODS folder of the Patcher..

Raven_2012
01-03-14, 03:19 PM
Which one do I enable? I currently have When torpedo reloaded their magnetic detonator will be set to disabled.

So all the other settings make the torpedoes duds in hard mode, which means they happen more often and malfunctions vary?

You have to enable one of the Torpedoes fixes modified for the torpedoes patches located in the MODS folder of the Patcher..

volodya61
01-03-14, 03:32 PM
Which one do I enable? I currently have When torpedo reloaded their magnetic detonator will be set to disabled.

So all the other settings make the torpedoes duds in hard mode, which means they happen more often and malfunctions vary?

Just open MODS folder in the Patcher's archive and you will see what I mean.. as I can see, you didn't even open that folder judging by your questions..

Raven_2012
01-03-14, 03:46 PM
Yes, I see it now. So I choose two the the four? What is difference in Stock and FX Update?

This is probably why I had almost every torpedo fail when it was on in Generic Updater but I didn't put mod in.

Edit: OK, I understand, FX version is for FX_Update mod compatible. I am using FX_Update_0_0_19, because I can't run the newer one for some reason. I get CTD on starting a new Career. Are these Torpedo Mods compatible with FX_Update_0_0_19?
Just open MODS folder in the Patcher's archive and you will see what I mean.. as I can see, you didn't even open that folder judging by your questions..

maillemaker
01-03-14, 03:57 PM
I am a bit confused.

So when you run the patcher, you tell it the path to all the files it needs to modify. Are all modifications handled through the patcher UI, or do I have to copy in and install the mods with JSGME, too?

If so, how do I know which mods I need to install? I just went down the list of patches and applied ones that looked interesting or relevant. How do I know which mods go with them?

Steve

volodya61
01-03-14, 04:05 PM
..Are these Torpedo Mods compatible with FX_Update_0_0_19?

compatible with any FXU version..

Raven_2012
01-03-14, 04:25 PM
Thanks! I am going to test them out and see if I have better results.

compatible with any FXU version..

simpliciter
01-16-14, 07:05 PM
Are you guys saying you can't upgrade the steam version to the newest version?? That seems...insane. So if you bought SH5 on steam its not patchable to the latest? I thought that was kinda the whole point of freaking steam?!

GT182
01-16-14, 07:12 PM
You can patch it to 1.2. I might be wrong but I think they mean you can't use TDW's UIs with the Steam version.

Downloads might be easier to get, but there's nothing like having the OEM disc in your hands. Makes everything so much easier in the long run.

simpliciter
01-16-14, 09:23 PM
Okay, I just started the game again and it says v1.2 right there in the upper right corner, so I guess they resolved the issue. Unfortunately, I am getting a lot of bugs in the game that were supposedly fixed in this version so I'm really confused. Either it just now patched for the first time (I don't remember looking to check the version number before and I didn't know 1.2 was the new one), or the patched version is just as buggy?

Raven_2012
01-16-14, 09:36 PM
Even with Official patch 1.2, Silent Hunter 5 was left half finished. That's not an exaggeration. Even if you use all the mods, with Steam game there will be some things not fixed. Its best to get a hard copy or buy it somewhere else to download. This way you can use the TDW Generic Patcher, that a modder made for game. It patches more into the 1.2 game.

I use to have Steam game and just crossed over to a Amazon download copy I just got. I paid $9.

Okay, I just started the game again and it says v1.2 right there in the upper right corner, so I guess they resolved the issue. Unfortunately, I am getting a lot of bugs in the game that were supposedly fixed in this version so I'm really confused. Either it just now patched for the first time (I don't remember looking to check the version number before and I didn't know 1.2 was the new one), or the patched version is just as buggy?

simpliciter
01-17-14, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Pretty lame. I wonder if I can return my 10 steam purchase.