PDA

View Full Version : Steam and Uplay issues, can't start game!

PanzerDan86
12-25-13, 09:32 PM
Hey Guys,

I didn't get any responses to my question a couple of days ago. And I think it was because I wrote WAYY to much! haha!

Here's my problem: I had to delete Steam and Uplay and all associated games from my C drive to save space. I moved them all to D drive. SH5 would not start at all from the D drive. I tried to fix it but couldnt.

I JUST NOW uninstalled Uplay/Steam and all other games from those applications completely (even did a regedit to delete the keys) and re-installed Uplay on the C drive.

I downloaded my SH5 copy from Uplay ( have two, one from Steam and one from Uplay) and installed it. It even automatically did the patch to upgrade to version 1.2.

All that has now been done! However, when I click on "Play" in Uplay...nothing happens. I get a spinning hourglass/blue circle thingy for a few seconds and then nothing at all happens.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any advice?

I've looked in my C directory and the game is installed there. This is what my directory looks like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher - inside game launcher directory are several files (cache, data, locales, and logs) it looks pretty normal to me.

However, SH5 is in ANOTHER place on the C drive. Here's where it's located:

C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5

Its not going under program files for some reason. Could this be the problem? If so, how to fix it?

FYI, the default destination for all Uplay downloads is set to be C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games - however, as I've shown, it's not going there for some reason. There isn't even a "games" folder inside the Ubisoft Game Launcher directory location.

Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated! I've spent since the 23rd or 24th trying to get SH5 to work. I've uninstalled and re-downloaded it something like 7 or 8 times now!!!

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

PanzerDan86
12-27-13, 03:14 PM
Do you guys think I should just cut and paste the SH5 folder into a "games" folder that I place in the ubisoft games launcher directory and see if that works?

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 01:15 PM
Alright, I'm going to just cut and paste the entire SH5 game folder into the game launcher directory and see what happens...I'll give an update as soon as I'm done..

Wish me luck!

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 01:27 PM
Ok, it didn't work. :wah:

Does everyone's Uplay game directory look like mine? Uplay creates 2 entries in the C drive

One here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher

And one here with the actual SH5 files: C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5

To me that just doesn't seem right, is that how everyone else's is set up? And if so, why won't my game run? Why wont it even TRY to run?

I'm at my wits end here trying to figure out how to get this game to start! Nothing pops up on the screen at all when I click "play" in Uplay. I can't even start the game by going directly into the game directory and clicking on the SH5 exe.

I'm starting to think I should just download an illegal pirated copy, at least I'd be able to play it!

Sailor Steve
12-28-13, 02:37 PM
Hi;

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your thread, but my computer won't even run SH5 (it did for about a week) so I can't even begin to comment.

However, I will caution you that if you do take that route do not mention it here, or even refer to it, not even to say it worked for you. That is one of the things that is absolutely not tolerated at Subsim.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules2_faq_item

I'm not sure why no one has come to your aid yet. Usually people are very helpful here. I'm hoping you will get help soon.

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 03:13 PM
Hey Sailor Steve! Thanks for your response! I was just venting my frustrations! I wouldn't actually do that, I don't even even know where to begin looking! hahaha!

I've just gotten upset since I've been trying to play the game since about the 23rd of December...and still haven't had any luck on getting it to work. I own 2 copies, one via Steam, and the other via Uplay. The fact that both of them aren't working was the reason for my comment. No harm intended!

I'm sure I can get it fixed since I used to play the Steam one before, so I'm not going the illegal route! Don't worry! :)

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 03:46 PM
So after the Uplay version refuses to work, I found something online about updating my "host" using Microsoft "Fix it".

I did that, but still the game wont launch via Uplay.

I've now re-installed Steam, and I'm downloading the Steam version of the game right now. ETA: 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I'm going to give the Steam version one more try (although I'm doubtful since Steam has to launch the game via Uplay...and my Uplay version hasn't worked since I bought it on the 24th.)

However, I'm hoping that since I've installed Steam back to the C drive this time (instead of the D drive where it wasn't working before) that it will work!

Again, in the meantime...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :salute:

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 07:27 PM
Well guys, the Steam version isn't working either! Ugh!!! When I click play with the Steam version, it says something about updating .Net framework 2.0 and the little spinning blue wheel comes up...but then nothing happens. The game still wont start.

Now I've got two copies of the game installed, and neither work.

A year and a half ago I was playing this game no problem! Something must have happened between the time when I uninstalled the game about 7 months ago and now. I just can't figure it out.

It has to be an issue with something else on my computer right? There's no logical reason that 2 copies of the game would both refuse to work right?

PanzerDan86
12-28-13, 11:06 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how to get the game running? Has anyone had the problems that I've described above and been able to fix it? I've been looking for answers and trying everything I could to fix the issue since the 23rd or 24th of December. I'm open to try anything at this point and I'm sure someone on these forums would have some great ideas for me to try. I'm at my wits end here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :up:

THE_MASK
12-29-13, 03:42 AM
When you start the game launcher go to settings and click play online . Quit the launcher and then restart the launcher . The game launcher will update any files needed . use your username and password you first played SH5 with .

PanzerDan86
12-29-13, 12:55 PM
Hey Sober, thank you for the suggestion! However, I tried and it doesn't work. The game still refuses to launch.

I've tried your suggestion with both Steam and Uplay, and nothing works. If I try to launch the game through Uplay, I get a spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds and then nothing. If I try to launch via Steam, it always asks me if I will allow Steam to make changes to my computer. If I click yes, it says it's trying to install Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 for the initial first time launch of the game, and then nothing at all happens. If I click "no" to changes, nothing at all happens.

Either way I go, when I click play in either Uplay or Steam, nothing happens. :/\\!!

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Mikemike47
12-29-13, 01:59 PM
So after the Uplay version refuses to work,
I did that, but still the game wont launch via Uplay.

I've now re-installed Steam, and I'm downloading the Steam version of the game right now. ETA: 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I'm going to give the Steam version one more try (although I'm doubtful since Steam has to launch the game via Uplay...and my Uplay version hasn't worked since I bought it on the 24th.)

However, I'm hoping that since I've installed Steam back to the C drive this time (instead of the D drive where it wasn't working before) that it will work!

Again, in the meantime...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :salute:
Uplay may be trying to get latest version. Uplay (Ubisoft Game Launcher) is up to 4.2+ version. If you right click the Ubisoft Game Launcher executable, go to properties, then use details tab to find out what version you have.

Try downloading latest version from ubisoft/uplay site. Install into any directory of your choice, not Program Files (x86). Hopefully Steam will allow you to do it. I have DVD version of game.

Mikemike47
12-29-13, 02:02 PM
it says it's trying to install Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 for the initial first time launch of the game, and then nothing at all happens. If I click "no" to changes, nothing at all happens.

Either way I go, when I click play in either Uplay or Steam, nothing happens
Sounds like you got a little further entering yes, instead of no. How about going to the microsoft website and downloading and installing Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0? Then try to play game through steam.

Try clearing cache in Ubisoft Game Launcher?

Game may not be going anywhere since it sounds like you are saying you have to versions, one from steam, one from Uplay (not Ubisoft?). I thought UPlay only refers to game launcher only.

PanzerDan86
12-29-13, 02:39 PM
AHA!!!!!!! :D I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!

I went into the Steam directory where the game was located and went to the folder that had the "game updater" exe and ran an update to version 1.2, it said that 1.2 was already installed but that I could run the update anyway...so I did and TA DA!!!!

I started a campaign, and started out of the harbor when everything started lagging REALLY bad, however I think this is just because I need to install the mods now for antilag and so on! I'm pumped up guys!!! Woo hoo!!! After more than a WEEK of screwing around with Steam and Uplay I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!! It looks like now I'll be downloading some mods and getting this thing to work correctly!!!

Cheers!!!

PanzerDan86
12-29-13, 02:43 PM
Quick question - Where are all the savegame files located that are associated with Steam? I'm going to delete the old files so I don't have such a jumble of savegames to pick through.

THE_MASK
12-29-13, 04:41 PM
While playing the game choose save game . There is also a delete save game option . This way it will delete from the uplay as well .

Mikemike47
12-29-13, 04:41 PM
I went into the Steam directory where the game was located and went to the folder that had the "game updater" exe and ran an update to version 1.2, it said that 1.2 was already installed but that I could run the update anyway...so I did and TA DA!!!!
Good to hear. You just experienced a computer glitch, a false postive. I wonder if the Steam took version data from your other installation contained in the registry and called the game version 1.2, even though it was not.
Quick question - Where are all the savegame files located that are associated with Steam? I'm going to delete the old files so I don't have such a jumble of savegames to pick through.
C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\SH5 if you have windows 7. XP was under documents and settings folder. You can delete the user subfolders, too, with old data.

PanzerDan86
12-29-13, 07:17 PM
Thanks Mikemike47 for all of your responses and suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to help me brainstorm some solutions! :salute:

Now I'm going to try to get a good stable mod list installed! I've heard about FIFi's mod list. Perhaps I'll try that! I'll need to go look for it here on the forum. Also, I've seen good things about Sober's mod list. But does that require real navigation and no map contacts? I do t think I'm quite there yet! Hahaha! Maybe in the future after I've sent some tonnage down I the bottom! :arrgh!:

Mikemike47
12-30-13, 11:13 AM
I've seen good things about Sober's mod list. But does that require real navigation and no map contacts?
Not necessarily. You can uncheck the no map contacts found under options/gameplay at the main screen when you start a new campaign.

If no map contacts is some kind of mod or setting within a mod, remove the settings or mod. You may be able to start the game here after a return to bunker save. If game does not work here after changes, then new campaign is necessary.

PanzerDan86
12-30-13, 04:26 PM
Ah ok! Well I installed some other mods last night that I cherry picked out of FIFi's list and put in the correct order. They seem to be running fine exempt for horrible lag when i leave the map screen view. I have the antilag tweak installed but it doesn't seem to help. When I get home I'll post my mod install/order.

Off the top of my head I think the primary mods I've got installed are Open Horizons, FX update by TDW, New UIs by TDW, Real Environment (by the way is Dynamic Environment better than Real Environment?) and the Trevally scripts. There are a few other small ones in there like for flags/emblems but that's the basic setup I've got.

I remember I used to run the game fine without any lag, and I think the only thing that's changed in my mods list is the addition of Open Horizons.

I might also have to change the in game graphics settings and see if that helps. The game automatically tried to put the settings on high so I just rolled with it. I hear that disabling particles is a good way to improve performance as well. Is this true?

Anyway, I'll post the mod list when I get home. In the meantime, any suggestions on how to eliminate this horrible lag would be appreciated!

Trevally.
12-30-13, 04:41 PM
Try antilag - found in subsim download utilities section

also - use map view when using TC near a harbour - when about 30km out - lag should clear up

Raven_2012
01-02-14, 11:12 AM
I just migrated from Steam version to another version. I ended up buying a downloaded copy of game from amazon. I uninstalled the Steam game, but left the Ubisoft launcher there. After I installed new version of game, I launched game and it launched Steam version and wanted to installed that version since its not installed.

Since it was a new game, I had to go into Ubisoft launcher and activate the new game. Once I did that two versions of the game showed up and I click on right version. The game loaded up fine and I when into SH5 game directory and found updater and updated game to 1.2.

You probably want to run the non-Steam version of the game if you can, that way you can apply the TDW Generic Patcher to it.

Thing is I didn't try to delete Ubisoft or any save caches and everything worked fine for me. I do get my old game saves because the game syncs up with Ubisoft, but it doesn't really bother me. I won't click on them.

Anyways thats my outcome.