PDA

View Full Version : Question about British terminology

fireftr18
12-24-13, 08:24 PM
I have a question for my friends from England. I was talking to my niece today. She mentioned a word that an English friend of hers said. She referred to a term, possibly referring to foul weather boots. It is "wallies" or "willies." Can anyone help us with this? What it the correct term, and what does it refer to?

Cybermat47
12-24-13, 08:26 PM
It's Wellies, referring to the Duke of Wellington's boots.

fireftr18
12-24-13, 08:32 PM
It's Wellies, referring to the Duke of Wellington's boots.

Thanks for the quick reply.

TarJak
12-25-13, 03:32 AM
Wallies are rather stupid people and willies are used for draining lager out of male poms.

Wellies are rubber boots favoured by farmers and sheep worriers from Yorkshire.

BossMark
12-25-13, 03:45 AM
Wallies are rather stupid people and willies are used for draining lager out of male poms.

Wellies are rubber boots favoured by farmers and sheep worriers from Wales.
Sorted that small misprint :haha:

TarJak
12-25-13, 04:21 AM
Sorted that small misprint :haha:

So what do the sheep worriers from Yorkshire favour?:D

Herr-Berbunch
12-25-13, 04:44 AM
So what do the sheep worriers from Yorkshire favour?:D

Holidays to Oz.

Jimbuna
12-25-13, 05:25 AM
Wellingtons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

TarJak
12-25-13, 05:46 AM
Holidays to Oz.

True that. There's enough of them over here at the moment.

Jimbuna
12-25-13, 06:01 AM
True that. There's enough of them over here at the moment.

Only because our prisons are overcrowded :)

Tribesman
12-26-13, 06:01 AM
Them brits can be confusing eh, some parts of England also have wallies which is what they call pickled gherkins.
So some wallies eat wallies which gives me the willies.

TarJak
12-26-13, 06:06 AM
Them brits can be confusing eh, some parts of England also have wallies which is what they call pickled gherkins.
So some wallies eat wallies which gives me the willies.

True. So the Poms have two wallies with two willies as well. No wonder they are confused.

Buddahaid
12-26-13, 06:34 AM
Uh....... OK... then...................

fireftr18
12-26-13, 11:09 AM
True. So the Poms have two wallies with two willies as well. No wonder they are confused.

I'm confused too. I thought is would just be a simple explanation. But that's what makes this forum great. I definitely can't deny I got an answer. :haha:

I thank you all. :salute:

vienna
12-26-13, 01:41 PM
Uh....... OK... then...................

Shouldn't that be: "Uh....... UK... then................... " ?...

<O>

vienna
12-26-13, 01:43 PM
I'm confused too. I thought is would just be a simple explanation. But that's what makes this forum great. I definitely can't deny I got an answer. :haha:

I thank you all. :salute:

That's probably why they lost the Colonies: they couldn't communicate with each other... :)

<O>

Penguin
12-26-13, 03:54 PM
Guess it's now free for all inquiries: How did you call chavs before there were chavs? Did you go directly from 'yob' to 'chav', or was there an evolution stage between?

That's probably why they lost the Colonies: they couldn't communicate with each other... :)

Well, they left some folks who speak in tongues at your eastern coast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E :sunny:

Jimbuna
12-26-13, 04:16 PM
The US...the UN of languages :)

TarJak
12-27-13, 07:26 AM
The history of English in 10 mins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexKqvgPVuA

Jimbuna
12-27-13, 08:21 AM
!0 minutes? :hmmm:

We can do yours in six :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5qYjm6xRZk

Aktungbby
12-27-13, 01:08 PM
or five!

nikimcbee
12-27-13, 08:23 PM

Wellies are rubber boots favoured by farmers and sheep worriers from Yorkshire.

:har::har::har::har::salute:

nikimcbee
12-27-13, 08:24 PM
Naturally, if Wellington(old Nosey to his troops) had lost the battle of Waterloo we'd all be wearing our 'Boney's' while puttering about the garden! " the only thing worse than a battle won... is a battle lost"-Wellington: Path to Victory... my xmas present!:O: As it is, the bearskin hats worn by the 1st Regiment of foot guards were acquired from the old Guard Grenadiers at Waterloo...the froggies no longer need to wear those..Nec Aspera Terrent!'Nothing deters us' The regiment was also officially designated the grenadiers. Footgear,chapeaus and titles too, are the trophies of war...:hmmm:

I'm trying to imagine Northerners speaking French?:hmmm:

Aktungbby
12-27-13, 09:23 PM
^ They still do in Montreal...Mon Ami!:rotfl2: