PDA

View Full Version : SH4 v1.5 rsrdc problem

Bob12
12-12-13, 03:24 AM
I'm new here so I don't know if this is in the right section but I'm having a save corruption problem.

I have sh4 v1.5 with rfb_2.0, rfb_2.0_patch23April2010, rsrdc_V575 and rsrdc_V5xx_Patch1 mods installed in that order.

I've started a campaign in 1941 in the phillipines and done two 3 patrols succesfully and everything has been working, but when I get transferred back to pearl harbour for my next patrol (Febuary 1942) any saves I make after that point are corrupted, they no longer save any markings I make on the map, and if I restart the game and try and load them I get a CTD (all the saves before then are still fine).

I have had this happen twice, after the 1st time I did I complete reinstall and started a new campaign with the same result.

Does anyone know what could fix this?

fireftr18
12-12-13, 08:45 AM
Welcome aboard Bob.

I'm assuming you're using the version of RSRD for RFB. If you didn't, then it will cause problems.
The problem may also be with how you save. There is a known and unresolvable bug with saves in sh4. If you continually overwrite saves, you will eventually cause corrupted save files. What you described is what happens.
When you save, you need to save in a new file. I make a master save in port (ex. fireftr18). Then while on patrol, I add a number to it (ex. fireftr18 1). As I build up save files, I'll delete the earlier ones to keep the total number of files down.
In the past, people also came up with a set of rules to make sure you have the cleanest save possible. When saving while on patrol, save during the day, calm seas, no storms, while surfaced, and nothing within sensor range of your boat. With newer computers, the problems have decreased, but there may still be problems. I haven't had any problems breaking the rules while saving.
And don't "alt-tab" out of sh4. It also tends to cause problems.

Bob12
12-12-13, 09:09 AM
Yep, I'm using version 575 which I'm pretty sure is right. I use a similar saving system to what you describe, I don't overwrite any saves and I keep all of them until the end of a patrol and then make a save while I'm in the office. I also only save surfaced when my boat is by itself.

It seems to always break at the same point in the campaign, all the saves before the transfer are good, and after it they all corrupt, no matter what I do. A very annoying problem, I might just have to skip the 1st few months to get past it, although it's strange no one else seems to have had the same problem.

merc4ulfate
12-12-13, 11:04 PM
Did they give you a Tambor? :har:

Bob12
12-12-13, 11:48 PM
No, I upgraded from a Sargo to a Gato and I was kicked off to Pearl Harbour (I thought my home base was meant to be Fremantle though). What's wrong with the Tambor?

Bob12
12-12-13, 11:54 PM
I just went back to one of my saves and refused the upgrade and now the saves don't corrupt which is good. Must have been because the gato is only available at pearl but I was supposed to be at fremantle which made problems.

I would have liked the upgrade though, can you choose anytime when you want to upgrade the sub if you previously declined?

Regardless thanks for the help I would never have thought of it otherwise

merc4ulfate
12-13-13, 12:26 PM
Yeah there can be an issue when your given a boat that shouldnt be at that base. In the Tambor there have been issues with everything from missing crew members, missing conns to bad saves. My last Tambor caused LOAD GAME FAILED message to appear on the screen after I had the upgraded fair weather bridge. Anything before could load but nothing after it.

It is just one of those issues players run into. I am sure more players would stumble across such issues with other games had they the life that Silent Hunter has. You do not find many games that have been continuously played by large numbers of people for 17 years straight like the versions of Silent Hunter.

The Admiralty chooses for you on the upgrade by checking off certain parameters in the files. A certain number of patrols with a certain level of success will activate upgrades.

You can manually change the UPC file to have the upgrades to your specific boat. I do not recall where you can manually change what boat your current career is on.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/339804-TMO-1-5-conning-tower-upgrade-Forums

Have a read at this thread. Ducimus(a good modder) is talking about where he discovered the bug that causes these bad saves.