PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

Berserker
12-05-13, 10:52 PM
I have a new computer with windows vista 8.1,and I cannot make the mods work in the sh4 Gold edition...I have the game installed,jsgme installed,and mods to use but the folder will not accept them..:nope:.The game runs fine as the base game but no mods...HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!:/\\!!

JoeCorrado
12-05-13, 11:23 PM
Are you logged in as an administrator?
Is the SH folder read only?
Is JSGME installed correctly in the root of the SH directory?

Just three potential issues that you might check for.

TorpX
12-05-13, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure if you mean you have Windows Vista or Windows 8.1.

In any case, I just recently installed Windows 7 on my machine, and had trouble with two programs that were required to work together. It seems that one could not access files in the folder of the other. ......long story short, I came to reinstall them in a folder outside the Program Files (x86) folder that was the default. I would try this, if you haven't done so already.

I tried to reset the permissions on the involved folders before doing the re-installation, but for whatever reason this didn't work. Windows Vista and 7 both seem to have issues with folders being "read only". I don't know about Windows 8.

Armistead
12-06-13, 12:49 AM
I have a new computer with windows vista 8.1,and I cannot make the mods work in the sh4 Gold edition...I have the game installed,jsgme installed,and mods to use but the folder will not accept them..:nope:.The game runs fine as the base game but no mods...HELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!:/\\!!

I ran the game on my old PC with XP for years, got a new PC with 8.1. As you said, game runs fine, can't got mods to load. Tried all I could, but gave up because I got busy and haven't had time to play.....Gonna give it another try soon.....hopefully we'll get it figured out, I've got mods to finish

Berserker
12-06-13, 01:47 AM
Here is what pops up when I try to put a mod in the sim...Cannot create folder c:\Program files(x86)\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\mods_mods_1 trigger maru overhaul_2-5\data

robustits
12-06-13, 04:13 AM
Cannot create folder c:\Program files(x86)\...

Give access privilege to JSGME as an administrator.

CapnScurvy
12-06-13, 10:40 AM
Here is what pops up when I try to put a mod in the sim...Cannot create folder c:\Program files(x86)\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\mods_mods_1 trigger maru overhaul_2-5\data

TorpX has you on the right track. You should simply install the game in another folder other than "Program Files(x86)". Create a new folder in your "C:\" folder.....name it "Games".....direct SH4 to install its files there, after you've removed all remnants of the original game from your computer.

JoeCorrado, and robustits have good points too. But, if you're not sure how to change specific file and folder properties, the easiest way is to create a new folder for the game other than using "Programs Files(x86)". Windows limits/monitors what gets loaded into this folder (for security sake), creating a new folder, and installing your games there will go around this limitation.

=========

Something else I just noticed about your path:

c:\Program files(x86)\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\mods_mods_1 trigger maru overhaul_2-5\data

The correct path for "1_Trigger_Maru_Overhaul_2-5" should be directly in the "MODS" folder made by JSGME when you first open it....after JSGME is installed in your "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" main game folder. That's not what you have. You've got "\mods_mods_......". The correct path (if you create that new folder I mentioned above) should be:

C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS\1_Trigger_Maru_Overhaul_2-5\Data\.......etc,etc.

One other point...... don't forget to take a "Snapshot" of your newly installed SH4 game files after installing the JSGME application. You'll find this feature in the "Tasks...." menu found in JSGME when you first open it (that's also when it creates the MODS folder in the proper "main" game folder). Having a Snapshot of your clean game files will come in handy later after adding/changing/removing mods from your game. Having main game files corrupted is the number one problem for modding your game. Using the Snapshot feature will tell you when you've got trouble (besides having a CTD or some other issue pop up).

fireftr18
12-06-13, 11:28 AM
Another thing that happens sometimes, when you unpack the file, it'll put it in a double folder. Ex: "sh4/mods/tmo/tmo". That makes it so that JSGME can't properly identify it.

merc4ulfate
12-06-13, 10:21 PM
People still install new programs on their system drive?? That is just a bad habit.

as stated above. Check that you do not have double folders of the mod. Run everything, EVERYTHING as administrator. Can't believe still have to do that since your most likely logged into an administrator account.

Right click the JSGME icon and go to properties>shortcut>advanced and check Run as Administrator.

go here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-8/

to make sure you are seeing the folders properly and that

I would also review this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/add-remove-programs-windows-8-start-screen/

Knowing your operating system is important.

Some apps let you browse your PC to select folders to add. You can also add folders in File Explorer. To do this:
Browse to the folder you want to add, and then press and hold or right-click it.
Tap or click Include in library, and then select the library to which you want to add the folder.
This sounds a great deal like the Context Menu Handlers are corrupt so read this:

The issue may be caused by damaged or incorrectregistry key (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/65027-63-suddenly-create-folders#) entry. Please check the following registry value:
1. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\New\
3. Please check if the value for (Default) is: {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}
If the issue persists after changing the registry key value, please continue to try the following suggestions:
1. Start (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/65027-63-suddenly-create-folders#), type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder
3. Right click on the Folder key on the left pane, and then select "Export" to backup this registry key.
4. Go to my Skydrive (https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=be2a687d297ce921&id=BE2A687D297CE921!272) and download folderfix.zip file.
5. Save the folderfix.zip on to your Desktop.
6. Right click and extract the folderfix.reg file.
7. Right click on the folderfix.reg file and then click Merge.
8. Click Yes to confirm the modification.

polyfiller
12-09-13, 12:35 PM
Something else I'd point out with regard to windows 8.1..... I ran into a significant memory leak issue under 8.1 when testing my mods ..... I had the game running in native mode and I had windows complaining about being low on memory and asking me to close SH4.... sometimes however SH4 would just CTD .... on each occasion I noted the system commit (I use process explorer) was constantly rising .... max'd out at 24Gb :o before CTD or windows intervening..........

I changed the game to Vista SP2 compatibility mode and the memory leak stopped .... system commit is a stable 3.6 Gb while running the game, with a huge number of modified surface ships on screen at the same time.

Worth checking out ... even if you don't hit a memory limit, if you see system commit creeping up while running the game, you have this issue and may affect performance.