PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a Newbie, some questions

demon_of_razgriz
12-02-13, 08:56 AM
First: Iīd like to say hi to all of you, itīs my first post. Iīve been reading the forums for a few weeks now and then and thought about getting SH4. During this Steam Sale the whole package came on offer for 15 bucks (SH3, SH4Gold, SH5) so I couldnīt keep my hands off it :)

Iīm pretty new to SH (played SH2 maaany years ago, but just messing around, nothing serious) and the school in SH4 doesnīt help a lot...but okay, thatīs what I expect from a sim. In general I like sims, no matter if racing laserscaned tracks or burning a capsule after a messed up reentry :cool:

So coming to a few of my questions:
There are quite some tutorials in the net...are there any you really recomend to watch (for an absolute beginner)? I started the campaign and Iīm already struggling to see a convoy before they see me...yes, Iīm that bad :haha:

Another thing: I thought okay, letīs play the basic campaign first and go to TMO later. Which mods are worth noting for the basic game without changing the gamplay? (like e.g. Graphics)

I guess something to install in that regard would be an Environmental mod. I installed the ISE mod and it already improves the visual side a lot. But actually all those environmental mods are confusing me...ISE, RE, Env 5.0...which one is newer, better? Which one should I get for playing the basic game?

My last question: Did I understand correct, TMO already includes an environmental mod, right?

Okay, lotīs of questions, thanks in advance!

fireftr18
12-02-13, 09:45 AM
Welcome aboard demon! :salute:

Don't discount the in-game tutorials, or practice missions. The first one is great just to learn and practice what the game subs can do, and what you can do with them. The targeting one is great for learning basic targeting. Use these two generously. After reading/viewing the different tutorials, start a campaign. They seem to be the best overall for learning the game. :know:

As far as mods go, some say install the mods right away, some say wait until you've had some experience. That's up to you. The super mods like TMO and RFB make major changes to the game sub characteristics and enemy AI. I run TMO with RSRDC and other minor mods. And yes, TMO has an environmental mod.

Now stop fooling around. We need you to check the forward hatch for air leaks.

les green01
12-02-13, 10:37 AM
welcome aboard i would try env 5.0,just keep plugging away and your be a vetern shorty

Aktungbby
12-02-13, 11:54 AM
AHH! another demonic :subsim:er! (check my avatar:rock:)Welcome Demon of Razgriz:Kaleun_Salute:Don't worry, some of us still play SHII and Destroyer Command but I like SHV with all the brilliant modding the best. Go with Fifi's mod list on that one to start off. Good luck and good hunting and ask away at :subsim: that's why it exists!

Jimbuna
12-02-13, 01:04 PM
Welcome to SubSim demon :salute:

magic452
12-03-13, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the boat mate. :salute:

Env 5.0 is a good mod but when you load any super mod it's gatta go.
TMO has a very good environmental mod in it.
I wouldn't start with a career but use the war patrols for school missions.
Just save at first contact and keep replaying the saves to get some plotting, tracking, set up and shooting practice. Try after mid '43 and you'll have radar, makes learning much easier.

Magic

Yamato_NF
12-03-13, 05:39 AM
I Take it your name is an Ace Combat 5 refrence? :yep::arrgh!::O:
ok, so... search youtube if you can, google is your friend!
Ive previously learned how to do submerged attacks on ships using sonar, and only sonar. its called the Dick O'Kane method, there is a tutorial on it by Rockin_Robbins. loadsa great tutorials out there if you want to learn!

Now as to what mods to use?
play the stock game and find what you dont like, then pick a list.

as said, welcome aboard :salute:

-Yamato_NF