PDA

View Full Version : The one time i'm glad the torp were a dud.

Admiral Halsey
11-28-13, 07:35 PM
I'm waiting off Samar for the battle and a chance to sink some BB's when the weather turns for the worst. It's only a few minutes later that I pick up a TF on my radar and plot and intercept course and lay in wait. Thinking the weather is a blessing I do what was only the second most stupid thing of this whole event. I decide to use the weather as cover and attack the TF while surfaced.

Using the Hydrophones I was able to determine when I pierced what I thought was the destroyer screen and decided to take a shot using a combo of the Radar and the Hydrophone. Well I was able to get a rough idea of where I needed to shoot the torps and let them loose. Since I do use the external cam for watching the ships as they sink I decide to see what ship the torps are heading for. Turns out it was a US Carrier. It seems what stumbled into was the US forces involved with the battle.

I started praying that I had messed up something with the set up of the torps but nope they ran straight and true and all I could do was count the seconds. Well the first one missed as it run a bit deep and I had them set to impact detonation and while that eased some of my worries there was still another torp the carrier had to contend with. Well I had decided to get the heck out of there as I knew those destroyer boys would be angry at me for accidentally sinking one of our own when I got the greatest message ever. "Torpedo is a dud sir!" When I heard that I shouted with relief. Afterwards the crew and I decided to never mention the incident and if anyone from BuOrd asked about them we would claim they went hot in the tubes and we had to fire them off.

Father Goose
11-28-13, 09:12 PM
the crew and I decided to never mention the indecent and if anyone from BuOrd asked about them we would claim they went hot in the tubes and we had to fire them off.

That's your story and you're sticking to it? :D

Admiral Halsey
11-28-13, 10:14 PM
That's your story and you're sticking to it? :D

Yeah just spotted that Typo.

Rammstein0991
11-28-13, 10:34 PM
I'm waiting off Samar for the battle and a chance to sink some BB's when the weather turns for the worst. It's only a few minutes later that I pick up a TF on my radar and plot and intercept course and lay in wait. Thinking the weather is a blessing I do what was only the second most stupid thing of this whole event. I decide to use the weather as cover and attack the TF while surfaced.

Using the Hydrophones I was able to determine when I pierced what I thought was the destroyer screen and decided to take a shot using a combo of the Radar and the Hydrophone. Well I was able to get a rough idea of where I needed to shoot the torps and let them loose. Since I do use the external cam for watching the ships as they sink I decide to see what ship they torps are heading for. Turns out it was a US Carrier. It seems what stumbled into was the US forces involved with the battle.

I started praying that I had messed up something with the set up of the torps but nope they ran straight and true and all I could do was count the seconds. Well the first one missed as it run a bit deep and I had them set to impact detonation and while that eased some of my worries there was still another torp the carrier had to contend with. Well I had decided to get the heck out of there as I knew those destroyer boys would be angry at me for accidentally sinking one of our own when I got the greatest message ever. "Torpedo is a dud sir!" When I heard that I shouted with relief. Afterwards the crew and I decided to never mention the incedent and if anyone from BuOrd asked about them we would claim they went hot in the tubes and we had to fire them off.

I know nussink! :har:

TorpX
11-29-13, 04:02 AM
Afterwards the crew and I decided to never mention the incident and if anyone from BuOrd asked about them we would claim they went hot in the tubes and we had to fire them off.

I'm sure you're not the first one here to fudge the paperwork on the way back to base.

merc4ulfate
11-29-13, 03:20 PM
See my comments here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2145754#post2145754

That should make you feel better

Admiral Halsey
11-29-13, 03:52 PM
See my comments here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2145754#post2145754

That should make you feel better

It did. I'm sure that you can blame the poor weather when you get Court martialed.

Snarf
11-29-13, 05:36 PM
I was less fortunate yesterday... The convoy I attacked was IJN alright, but I was using my slightly modified cuties (essentially acoustic homing Mk 16's). Sunk the first three destroyers, although I made a hasty shot and missed with one. After a couple minutes I went full battle stations blew the ballasts and cranked up to full power, and started pounding the freighters with the deck guns. Next thing I know I'm knocked all the way down into the control room 'Torpedo Impact, Sir' 'Hull damaged, Sir!' 'We have flooding, Sir!', stern torpedo room is flooding, engine rooms are flooding, 55 percent hull damage. I climb back up on top to find a gaping hole in my stern.:/\\!!:wah:

Even worse, I had not saved after the previous convoy attack:/\\!!

Snarf
11-29-13, 05:43 PM
Oh, by the way there Admiral, my grandfather served on CV-6 USS Enterprise:salute:.

Admiral Halsey
11-29-13, 06:25 PM
I was less fortunate yesterday... The convoy I attacked was IJN alright, but I was using my slightly modified cuties (essentially acoustic homing Mk 16's). Sunk the first three destroyers, although I made a hasty shot and missed with one. After a couple minutes I went full battle stations blew the ballasts and cranked up to full power, and started pounding the freighters with the deck guns. Next thing I know I'm knocked all the way down into the control room 'Torpedo Impact, Sir' 'Hull damaged, Sir!' 'We have flooding, Sir!', stern torpedo room is flooding, engine rooms are flooding, 55 percent hull damage. I climb back up on top to find a gaping hole in my stern.:/\\!!:wah:

Even worse, I had not saved after the previous convoy attack:/\\!!
Yeah you got to watch out for those acoustic homing torps coming back after you. I've sunk myself more then once thanks to them.