PDA

View Full Version : Flooding Near Batteries Equals Catastrophe???

Leon West
11-28-13, 05:17 PM
Hello fellow skippers! First, I'd like to wish everyone a happy thanksgiving! :salute::yeah:

Secondly, I have an odd question. Does Silent Hunter 4 model the problem of chlorine gas being emitted when your battery compartment floods? I've spent some time searching the forums and haven't found anything about it.

Thanks in advance!

Admiral Halsey
11-28-13, 06:47 PM
Sadly no. It's one of the many thing the developers didn't model.

Leon West
11-28-13, 07:08 PM
Sadly no. It's one of the many thing the developers didn't model.

That is really unfortunate...I wonder if a mod could be made. How, I'm not sure, because I have never personally created a mod before. I think maybe something could be done with the CO2...not quite the same as chlorine, but if your battery compartment floods, the CO2 level could start increasing kind of as a place holder for chlorine...BUT, knowing about the already present ever-increasing CO2 bug, I doubt that this would be possible, let alone wise to try and implement.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Admiral Halsey
11-28-13, 07:16 PM
That is really unfortunate...I wonder if a mod could be made. How, I'm not sure, because I have never personally created a mod before. I think maybe something could be done with the CO2...not quite the same as chlorine, but if your battery compartment floods, the CO2 level could start increasing kind of as a place holder for chlorine...BUT, knowing about the already present ever-increasing CO2 bug, I doubt that this would be possible, let alone wise to try and implement.

Thanks for the fast reply!

No problem.

TorpX
11-29-13, 02:21 AM
That is really unfortunate...I wonder if a mod could be made.

SHCE had the chlorine problem modeled. Whether something could be done for SH4 or not, I have no idea. It seems like a lot of basic physics elements in SH4 are oversimplified, so I imagine it would be difficult, if it could be done at all.

Armistead
11-29-13, 09:42 AM
I think using a copy ofthe CO2 was been looked at, just another tab with a green color, but obvious never worked. I looked at it once, couldn't figure a switch to get it to connect to battery damage and even if you could you would be stuck with one rate of release.

merc4ulfate
11-29-13, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see an occasional on-board fire after an attack ... would be interesting to see and watch the o2 drop like a rock.

Leon West
11-29-13, 05:11 PM
I think using a copy ofthe CO2 was been looked at, just another tab with a green color, but obvious never worked. I looked at it once, couldn't figure a switch to get it to connect to battery damage and even if you could you would be stuck with one rate of release.

The fact that you have tried this is just awesome. I couldn't imagine attempting to dig in the guts of a game's code to start working for something like this.

I'd like to see an occasional on-board fire after an attack ... would be interesting to see and watch the o2 drop like a rock.

"Interesting." Gut wrenching more like! lol. I find that with the mods I use and such, I get so engrossed that depth charges actually scare the hell out of me. I couldn't imagine the other hazards.

I do find it really unfortunate how Ubisoft has taken the Silent Hunter series and simplified it with each release. I started with SH3, saw big arcady changes in SH4, SH5 was laughable if it weren't for mods, and I'm learning the even earlier games in the series had chlorine gas and such modeled. I notice now a lot of games are taking this route. What happened to the sim genre?

That aside, thanks everyone for the awesome replies and information. Sure do like this community a lot!

TorpX
11-30-13, 02:27 AM

I don't remember too much about SHCE, but fires did break out sometimes. I don't know if smoke or toxic gases were modeled in that.

If we had a faithful damage model, fire and smoke and/or toxic gases would be confined to that compartment by the bulkheads and hatches, so, in theory, you could survive this kind of damage. I wouldn't like to be faced with such a situation while under attack, though.

Dread Knot
11-30-13, 06:50 AM
I remember in SH2, you had occasional mechanical breakdowns to deal with, even when there was no enemy around. It gave you something to work on and worry about on during those dull periods between attacks.

merc4ulfate
11-30-13, 12:38 PM
The break downs would make it interesting when your trying to complete a mission.

When I was in the Navy I can recall 3 different fire incidents all caused by human error.:oops: I think we hit a whale or something about 30 miles from land once.:dead: The ship had a huge thud sound and vibration go through it and the seals started to leak around the starboard propeller shaft. Another incident was that we lost one of the four propulsion engines due to a cylinder being trashed. It blew apart from a stress fracture if I recall correctly.

On a funnier note the XO :salute: with his amazing ability to navigate ran us aground on the shoals off the South Carolina coast. He is still a piece of Sh*t.:har::arrgh!::har:

Oh yeah I just remembered we took damage in a storm in the Gulf of Mexico and had to have some minor repairs done in Fort Lauderdale.

It would be nice to have storm damage in the game as well. I see it on merchant shipping but never on the player side.

fitzcarraldo
11-30-13, 01:46 PM
SHCE had the chlorine problem modeled. Whether something could be done for SH4 or not, I have no idea. It seems like a lot of basic physics elements in SH4 are oversimplified, so I imagine it would be difficult, if it could be done at all.

SHCE also has the batitermograph modelled. Ah! that subsim was my first underwater love! :yep:

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

TorpX
11-30-13, 06:57 PM
The break downs would make it interesting when your trying to complete a mission.

It would be nice to have storm damage in the game as well.

Agreed. Not only damage, but the danger of having men swept overboard, too.

SHCE also has the batitermograph modelled. Ah! that subsim was my first underwater love!

And don't forget the SD radar!

Leon West
11-30-13, 07:00 PM
I wonder why Ubisoft has removed so much from the series? Surely with all of the technology advancements since those games they could've easily modelled those systems again.

Perhaps they were afraid of the learning curve involved for new users? I dunno...sad that so much has gone away for the sake of pretty graphics.

TorpX
11-30-13, 07:29 PM
I wonder why Ubisoft has removed so much from the series? Surely with all of the technology advancements since those games they could've easily modelled those systems again.

Perhaps they were afraid of the learning curve involved for new users? I dunno...sad that so much has gone away for the sake of pretty graphics.

The way it was explained to me was that each generation of Silent Hunter was developed by a new team, so that the SH4 team did not know how the SHCE people coded the stuff, didn't know what worked and what didn't, and most likely were completely unaware that there was such a thing as a bathythermograph, or SD radar, in earlier versions.

I don't really understand it, either.

Diopos
12-01-13, 01:51 AM
SH2 had an "engine overheating" situation if you remained on flank speed for over a certain period (one or two hours? :hmmm:). In SH4 you can "flank" around the globe ! :damn:

Rammstein0991
12-01-13, 05:01 AM
SH2 had an "engine overheating" situation if you remained on flank speed for over a certain period (one or two hours? :hmmm:). In SH4 you can "flank" around the globe ! :damn:

Modding the game was much simpler too, all you did was a simple file swap and BOOM, instant bismarck, now you practically need a degree in rocket science... :/\\!!

fitzcarraldo
12-01-13, 09:03 AM

H.sie solved that problem in SH3, I wonder if it is possible in SH4. Really we need an "instruction" on how to modify the SH4.exe. H.sie, pleaseeee!!!!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Leon West
12-01-13, 09:14 AM
Modding the game was much simpler too, all you did was a simple file swap and BOOM, instant bismarck, now you practically need a degree in rocket science... :/\\!!

This is again, in my opinion, a testament to our extremely skilled modders who have done so much for our community and game enjoyment.

Sorry, I forgot how to use multiquote...lawls. :88) So anyways:

@fitzcarraldo: That sounds awesome. I do also hate the fact that there's no repercussions for straining your engines other than fuel consumption increase...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the modder you mentioned to possibly give some insight into this. Unfortunately, if it's more than a CFG or INI file edit in Notepad, I'm useless...

@Torpx: That makes sense, actually. If none of the previous teams had any contact with the new development teams, I could see how this would be a problem. The fact that (since my experience beginning with SH3) the next games were released only a few years apart, I find it shocking that this is the case. What's Ubisoft's employment turnover rate?! None of the previous developers from 5 years ago are still on the team? Ouch.

Admiral Halsey
12-01-13, 11:11 AM
The way it was explained to me was that each generation of Silent Hunter was developed by a new team, so that the SH4 team did not know how the SHCE people coded the stuff, didn't know what worked and what didn't, and most likely were completely unaware that there was such a thing as a bathythermograph, or SD radar, in earlier versions.

I don't really understand it, either.

You would think they would've played it before though.

Leon West
12-01-13, 07:07 PM
You would think they would've played it before though.

Perhaps research was not funded in the development budget? lol. :D

Admiral Halsey
12-01-13, 09:15 PM
Perhaps research was not funded in the development budget? lol. :D

That would explain quite a lot.