PDA

View Full Version : boat skin/color

Ghost Dog
11-26-13, 10:39 AM
Hi all, bit of an odd question. Anytime I start a career, regardless of class, by boat is always a black/dark color. Its never slate gray, nor does it look like photos ive seen or even the way the boats look in the museum. Any way to change this? maybe after a few patrols I'm offered the ability to repaint it?

Dread Knot
11-26-13, 10:45 AM
It's that museum effect again. Most WW2 US sub pictures that people see, or subs they tour are the late war configurations.

At the outset of World War II, U.S. submarines were painted black, a color that oddly enough didn’t work for the kind of battle surface operations the boats would engage in. Beginning in the summer of 1942, some fleet boats were repainted in an overall Ocean Grey. It was not until 1944 that the shadow-shaded grey camouflage came into widespread use.

After a few patrols you should get new paint schemes in your upgrades along with the more cut-down conning towers that are ubiquitous to late war US subs. Those black subs looked odd to me in the beginning as well.

Admiral Halsey
11-26-13, 12:15 PM
It's that museum effect again. Most WW2 US sub pictures that people see, or subs they tour are the late war configurations.

At the outset of World War II, U.S. submarines were painted black, a color that oddly enough didn’t work for the kind of battle surface operations the boats would engage in. Beginning in the summer of 1942, some fleet boats were repainted in an overall Ocean Grey. It was not until 1944 that the shadow-shaded grey camouflage came into widespread use.

After a few patrols you should get new paint schemes in your upgrades along with the more cut-down conning towers that are ubiquitous to late war US subs. Those black subs looked odd to me in the beginning as well.

If i'm right you only get the paint scheme changes if you use a mod.

Ghost Dog
11-26-13, 12:23 PM
Oh? so in stock SH4, your boat is always black? I'm guessing that also applies to decals, badges, flags etc?

Admiral Halsey
11-26-13, 12:26 PM
Oh? so in stock SH4, your boat is always black? I'm guessing that also applies to decals, badges, flags etc?

Stock game doesn't come with decals either. You can make them though.

Armistead
11-26-13, 04:47 PM
I think you'll get grey boats later war with stock.

fitzcarraldo
11-26-13, 09:07 PM
Dear mate: search in the SH4 mods forum for the "Kill flags mod". From that thread you will be redirected to a nice page with skins for many subs in black or late war grey - also you will have nice badges for your favorite sub name. Only change the skin in the start of a new campaign!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Admiral Halsey
11-26-13, 09:12 PM
I think you'll get grey boats later war with stock.

I don't think so otherwise why would TMO give you the paint option? I'll admit that since I only ever played one stock mission I have no clue if i'm right or not.

Ghost Dog
11-27-13, 09:57 AM
after going through mod installation hell with IL-2 1946, I'm going to enjoy some stock SH4 and SH5 action for a while.

Admiral Halsey
11-27-13, 10:37 AM
after going through mod installation hell with IL-2 1946, I'm going to enjoy some stock SH4 and SH5 action for a while.

Modding SH4 and SH5 is easy with the Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3951