PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day/Remembrance Day!

Kptlt. Neuerburg
11-11-13, 11:49 AM
Ninety-five years ago today, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in the year 1918 the guns all across the Western Front fell silent. The Armistice which ended World War 1, which brought about much celebration in all the Allied nations. Armistice Day, which was the original holiday is now Veterans Day in the United States and Remembrance Day in the United Kingdom and throughout the Commonwealth, France is the only nation that still observes the end on WW1 as Armistice Day. So a salute to the veterans past and present and never forget the sacrifices they made to keep the world free, lest we forget.

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
By, Lt. Col John McCrae

Wolferz
11-11-13, 12:00 PM
:salute:

Herr-Berbunch
11-11-13, 12:04 PM
:salute: To all, past, present, and future, and the ones left behind.

Jimbuna
11-11-13, 01:12 PM
http://mandythebookworm.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/lest-we-forget.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=NixwrrlscOqOBM&tbnid=Aynu11RWL4KXKM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmandythebookworm.wordpress.com%2F misc%2Fanzac-day-lest-we-forget%2F&ei=Gh6BUtKZFuaW0AWo9ICADQ&bvm=bv.56146854,d.ZG4&psig=AFQjCNFTY2TDYBdMNfV1hRoNOkJnR4xfHA&ust=1384279956111288)

u crank
11-11-13, 02:10 PM
http://everynationgta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/remembrance_day_470.jpg

Cybermat47
11-11-13, 04:57 PM
My school forgot to tell us. I'm going to complain to them like I've never complained before :nope:

desertstriker
11-11-13, 05:14 PM
I want to thank all the vets on subsim for their service.:Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Salute:

and all vets everywhere.

Cybermat go get them.:gulp:

Wolferz
11-11-13, 05:46 PM
I want to thank all the vets on subsim for their service.:Kaleun_Cheers::Kaleun_Salute:

and all vets everywhere.

Cybermat go get them.:gulp:

No need. We were glad to do it.:salute:

Tribesman
11-11-13, 05:57 PM

and all vets everywhere.

Why?
Some vets don't deserve any thanks for their service and some conflicts should be remembered with condemnation not thanks.
Its all conditional.

Platapus
11-11-13, 06:58 PM
Some thoughts from an old guy.

It is important to remember that the military does not set national policy. The military implements national policy. Disagree with the national policy, then disagree with the politicians, not the military members.

When I was serving, I always separated my personal opinions from my military duties. Now as an old fart, I never forget that this same attitude continues in today's military.

I am sure I am not the only vet who has done things diametrically opposed to my personal beliefs, supported operations I felt were wrong, stood by and did nothing to help people I felt needed our help. I have done things that I find personally offensive. I have enabled poor decisions made by our political leadership. I have witnessed the results of our greatness and the consequences of our mediocrity. I have done wonderful things and things I am ashamed of.

But that's why it is called "serving my country". It is not a glamorous thing, it is not a heroic thing. It is certainly not a "I am better than you" thing. Not at all. For some it is a duty that can't really be explained to others. To others it is an obligation that is hard to define. To others it is a form of welfare for losers. To others it is just a job. All of them are correct. Just like the people who call us heroes or sheep are equally wrong.

It is difficult to understand and difficult to explain. Like most vets, I can't talk about a lot of thing that happened during my career. Either I am not allowed to talk about them or, more likely, people who have never served won't understand. There are many people who served who don't understand. I don't profess to understand everything myself. It is sometimes just easier not to talk about it. :yep:

I joined up about 5 years after the Vietnam era. No one spat at me or called me a baby-killer. In the 1980's we were called losers, leaches, lazy, worthless bums who could not make it in the real world. We were not hated, but pitied. Like the military members of the past, the present, and the future, I took it. Suffering the slings and arrows from an non-understanding and ungrateful citizenry is part of the package. But it still hurt. :yep:

I can only write for myself, but perhaps other vets will chime in. I don't want parades or honourifics. I don't want car magnets purchased from China. I don't want people to pretend to honour me on one day of the year. A simple, sincere non-judgmental thank you is all that I want.

I volunteered to serve my country. I have shed my blood on foreign soil, I have challenged pretty much every moral I had. I have at times sacrificed my values. I chose freely to do all of this and more. I am not a flag waver. I don't even consider myself very patriotic. There is a lot I like about our country and a lot I dislike about it.

But in my way, I love my country. And I am honoured to have been of some small, insignificant service to my country. I still serve my country in my civilian job. I will probably serve my country for the rest of my life. Don't ask me why. I probably couldn't explain it. It is just something that I do.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Armistead
11-11-13, 07:29 PM
Salute to all our vets...:yeah:

Bubblehead1980
11-11-13, 07:40 PM
Some thoughts from an old guy.

It is important to remember that the military does not set national policy. The military implements national policy. Disagree with the national policy, then disagree with the politicians, not the military members.

When I was serving, I always separated my personal opinions from my military duties. Now as an old fart, I never forget that this same attitude continues in today's military.

I am sure I am not the only vet who has done things diametrically opposed to my personal beliefs, supported operations I felt were wrong, stood by and did nothing to help people I felt needed our help. I have done things that I find personally offensive. I have enabled poor decisions made by our political leadership. I have witnessed the results of our greatness and the consequences of our mediocrity. I have done wonderful things and things I am ashamed of.

But that's why it is called "serving my country". It is not a glamorous thing, it is not a heroic thing. It is certainly not a "I am better than you" thing. Not at all. For some it is a duty that can't really be explained to others. To others it is an obligation that is hard to define. To others it is a form of welfare for losers. To others it is just a job. All of them are correct. Just like the people who call us heroes or sheep are equally wrong.

It is difficult to understand and difficult to explain. Like most vets, I can't talk about a lot of thing that happened during my career. Either I am not allowed to talk about them or, more likely, people who have never served won't understand. There are many people who served who don't understand. I don't profess to understand everything myself. It is sometimes just easier not to talk about it. :yep:

I joined up about 5 years after the Vietnam era. No one spat at me or called me a baby-killer. In the 1980's we were called losers, leaches, lazy, worthless bums who could not make it in the real world. We were not hated, but pitied. Like the military members of the past, the present, and the future, I took it. Suffering the slings and arrows from an non-understanding and ungrateful citizenry is part of the package. But it still hurt. :yep:

I can only write for myself, but perhaps other vets will chime in. I don't want parades or honourifics. I don't want car magnets purchased from China. I don't want people to pretend to honour me on one day of the year. A simple, sincere non-judgmental thank you is all that I want.

I volunteered to serve my country. I have shed my blood on foreign soil, I have challenged pretty much every moral I had. I have at times sacrificed my values. I chose freely to do all of this and more. I am not a flag waver. I don't even consider myself very patriotic. There is a lot I like about our country and a lot I dislike about it.

But in my way, I love my country. And I am honoured to have been of some small, insignificant service to my country. I still serve my country in my civilian job. I will probably serve my country for the rest of my life. Don't ask me why. I probably couldn't explain it. It is just something that I do.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Well said:salute:

Red October1984
11-11-13, 08:01 PM
Salute to the vets...

Thank you guys...the school assembly this morning was one of the most American things i've ever seen...

To the past, present and future. :salute: :salute: :salute:

nikimcbee
11-11-13, 09:19 PM
I'm watching the series "The First World War".

First off, have they ever made any movies about the Somme?

Kptlt. Neuerburg
11-11-13, 09:39 PM
I'm watching the series "The First World War".

First off, have they ever made any movies about the Somme? It wouldn't surprise me if there where some movies about the Somme out there, though where they can be found and what their called I have no idea. But on the subject of the Somme watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGrrnpzB_Y

TarJak
11-11-13, 11:19 PM
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0489278/ made for tv.not seen it. IIRC there's one floating around from 1916 as well.

edit: found it http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0006405/

TorpX
11-11-13, 11:36 PM

vienna
11-12-13, 12:49 PM
There are still some people who have regard and respect for those who served:

Harold Jellicoe Percival, WWII Veteran, Dies With No One To Attend Funeral... Until Internet Steps In

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/harold-jellicoe-percival-funeral-world-war-ii-veteran_n_4254748.html?ir=Good+News

To all of those who served and are still with us, thank you; to those who have left us, we still remember...

<O>

Tribesman
11-12-13, 12:55 PM
An interesting take on remembrance day.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/poppy-last-time-remembrance-harry-leslie-smith