PDA

View Full Version : A new Submarine & Battleship Arcade/Sim is in development... And I'm leading the team

WolfMaskMan
11-09-13, 06:40 PM
Hey there Everyone.

I just wanted to come in and introduce myself before i got into anything heavy.

I'm Phil and I run a new start up games studio in the North East of the UK called "Game Tonic Interactive".
We've been around for about 4 or 5 months now and we've released one mobile game (which took about 9 weeks to develop) and then worked on smaller client projects.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, i was approached by a gentleman who wanted us to recreate or reimagine an older game from the mid-90's and since then we've been working towards that goal.
The game currently is very much in that transition stage between Concept, Tech Demo & Pre-Alpha. We've got an interesting internal demo that we were playing around with last week and we're aiming to go public with it fully in early January.

Basically what i'm doing it now is just making you all aware of the project, Game Tonic & myself as ultimately we're making it for you so we want maximum community input and support.

If you'd like to stay up to date with the official news about the project then Game Tonic's Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/gametonicinteractive) is the place to go.

As for anything else i'm happy to chat on here :)

Cheers
WolfMaskMan (Phil)

kraznyi_oktjabr
11-09-13, 06:59 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

First questions: On what platforms this game will be available? Is it mobile or PC? If PC then how moddable it will be?

WolfMaskMan
11-09-13, 07:03 PM
Main platform is PC
We're very possibly looking at becoming at being an Xbox One developer, it purely depends on how expensive that will be.

As for modability, its on the cards as players will be hosting their own servers, so mods to that (so long as each player joining has the mod installed) shouldn't be too big of an issue

mapuc
11-09-13, 07:50 PM
"to recreate or reimagine an older game from the mid-90's and since then we've been working towards that goal."

This have made me wonder what game that is

Markus

Aktungbby
11-09-13, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard WolfMaskMan:salute:

Onkel Neal
11-09-13, 08:42 PM
Welcome aboard and all the luck to your project.

the_tyrant
11-09-13, 08:51 PM
Good luck!:salute:

You know, if you are making an Xbox port, please include good Kinect support. I would love a subsim where I can scream "crash dive" and my sub will dive.

WolfMaskMan
11-10-13, 04:31 AM
"to recreate or reimagine an older game from the mid-90's and since then we've been working towards that goal."

This have made me wonder what game that is

Markus

Well that would be telling :P
Lets just say that we weren't able to get permission from the original creators so we're not making a direct sequel. Instead we're making game in the same spirit of the original (so a spiritual successor) but it doesn't really share much in common with it aside from "its inspired from it".

Good luck!:salute:

You know, if you are making an Xbox port, please include good Kinect support. I would love a subsim where I can scream "crash dive" and my sub will dive.

Getting on to the XboxOne program is something i'd like to do, but like i said it will probably be quite expensive and i have a funny feeling we'd have to make exclusives for the console.
I think we probably would make a console version in the future though.

Jimbuna
11-10-13, 06:07 AM
Welcome to SubSim Phil (from a South Tynesider) :sunny:

I notice your based in the smog :03:

Wishing you every success :salute:

Wolferz
11-10-13, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the boat Wolfmaskman,

From one Lobo to another...
Wishing you great success with your project.:up:

Wait a second. That looks like a Spanish Galeon.:03::salute:

WolfMaskMan
11-10-13, 01:24 PM
Welcome to SubSim Phil (from a South Tynesider) :sunny:

I notice your based in the smog :03:

Wishing you every success :salute:

Yea we're based in Middlesbrough :P
Since you're so close you can come and test it :D

Welcome to the boat Wolfmaskman,

From one Lobo to another...
Wishing you great success with your project.:up:

Wait a second. That looks like a Spanish Galeon.:03::salute:

(I must admit i had to google what lobo meant)
:D

Jimbuna
11-10-13, 01:33 PM

No problem...just as soon as I sort out my oxygen replenishment system :03:

Wolferz
11-10-13, 06:29 PM

Buy a cooler already and your beer will stay nice and cold.:03:

Unless you like your suds warm.:O:

Madox58
11-10-13, 06:49 PM

I must object to Jim testing anything until I check it out first.
:D
He is still in school for computer stuff you may wish to know.
:03:
He also allows cheaters to copy from him! Not one to trust readily!
Where as I'm a totally stand up Guy.
Ok, So I hacked SWTOR files once.
Oh and PT Boats files.
Ummm, SH 3/4/5 files also.
The Granny GR2 files? That's a thread on it's own.

Never mind. You don't want me to see your files.

Wolferz
11-11-13, 05:40 PM
If you need Beta testers, this be the place to find 'em.:up:

Of course it will require you to build a website and kiss Facebook goodbye.

Facebook = NSA intel gathering software.:hmmm:

Plus, they're going to merge Facebook, You Tube and Twitter to create...
YouTwitFace

WolfMaskMan
11-12-13, 05:43 AM

Its not so bad down here :P just a funny smell of chlorine in the air

If you need Beta testers, this be the place to find 'em.:up:

Of course it will require you to build a website and kiss Facebook goodbye.

Facebook = NSA intel gathering software.:hmmm:

Plus, they're going to merge Facebook, You Tube and Twitter to create...
YouTwitFace

Oh don't worry I'm in the process of planning out a website, forum & dev blog
we just use Facebook as our company thing, the proper website and such will be where all the action happens

Phil

Wolferz
11-12-13, 08:35 AM
Its not so bad down here :P just a funny smell of chlorine in the air

Oh don't worry I'm in the process of planning out a website, forum & dev blog
we just use Facebook as our company thing, the proper website and such will be where all the action happens

Phil

:up::D

AVGWarhawk
11-12-13, 10:57 AM
Welcome! Best of luck. :up:

WolfMaskMan
11-13-13, 05:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, if we were to put up a donation drive or a kickstarter how many of you would be interested in helping us out?

kraznyi_oktjabr
11-13-13, 09:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, if we were to put up a donation drive or a kickstarter how many of you would be interested in helping us out?Depends on what the money will buy. You could check StarCitizen for "donation"/kickstarter campaign which has worked quite impressively. If you can give a road map for stuff what we will get then - assuming goals are realistic - yes I would contribute. Btw I would avoid using word "donate" as - atleast for me - it sounds like giving money to something without getting anything except goo feeling in return.

Ofcourse keep in mind that Roberts Space INdustries have a bit bigger potential audience and project leader/owner has long career in game development...

WolfMaskMan
11-22-13, 07:44 AM
Depends on what the money will buy. You could check StarCitizen for "donation"/kickstarter campaign which has worked quite impressively. If you can give a road map for stuff what we will get then - assuming goals are realistic - yes I would contribute. Btw I would avoid using word "donate" as - atleast for me - it sounds like giving money to something without getting anything except goo feeling in return.

Ofcourse keep in mind that Roberts Space INdustries have a bit bigger potential audience and project leader/owner has long career in game development...

Yea we're looking into Things like Kickstarter & Indie GoGo.
I'm working at the moment to see whats the best way to go about it, good offers for pedges, price ranges etc.

We are moving steadily forward with the game at the moment as well
Currently we have 3 working classes, 3 working game types, working multiplayer and the basis to expand with more ships, game types, maps, customisation etc.

Keep your eyes peeled for more info as i work to get this thing public in the coming weeks :)