PDA

View Full Version : RAN warship HMAS Ballarat named in probe

TarJak
11-08-13, 02:42 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-07/navy-ship-embroiled-in-claims-of-hazing-ritual-sexual-assault/5077354

This won't help with recruitment. :nope: Where do these idiots come from?

Jimbuna
11-08-13, 03:24 AM
An ancient Aussie custom :o

TarJak
11-08-13, 05:15 AM

Certainly not one I'm accustomed too! Sounds like something out of Nelson's navy. Rum sodomy and the lash, without the rum.

Herr-Berbunch
11-08-13, 05:29 AM
Max Mosley's just been it to the RAN careers office to see if there is an age limit. :03:

Jimbuna
11-08-13, 05:34 AM
Certainly not one I'm accustomed too! Sounds like something out of Nelson's navy. Rum sodomy and the lash, without the rum.

Reminds me of the 'golden rivet' custom :)

Cybermat47
11-08-13, 05:35 AM

Nah, the Aborigines were much more civilized.

TarJak
11-08-13, 05:36 AM

:haha:

Jimbuna
11-08-13, 05:40 AM

Yeah...those didgeridoo thingies were an early colonic irrigation device I do believe :)

Tango589
11-08-13, 06:43 PM
My uncle, who was in the Merchant Navy, said if I was ever offered 'Navy Cake' to say I prefer the salad instead. I'm not sure what it means, but I get the feeling it wouldn't interfere with my sitting down...:hmmm:

BTW, it this thread title meant to be a joke, given the subject matter?:D

TarJak
11-08-13, 07:55 PM
My uncle, who was in the Merchant Navy, said if I was ever offered 'Navy Cake' to say I prefer the salad instead. I'm not sure what it means, but I get the feeling it wouldn't interfere with my sitting down...:hmmm:

Would you like some navy cake?

Jimbuna
11-09-13, 06:38 AM

Ask your uncle if he ever got to see the golden rivet.

Garion
11-09-13, 12:48 PM
Reminds me of the 'golden rivet' custom :)

RUM, BUM and BACCY! :arrgh!: YARR!

One of the fun games we used to play when I wer a servin man in Royal Navy is 'The Dance of the Flaming Arse-Holes'. This involved screwing up a news paper, clenching same newspaper betwixt bum cheeks, setting the end alight and hopping around in a circle. The winner being the one who lasted the longest :salute: .

As for marker pens these were used to enhance the looks of matelot's who could not keep up with the crowd and passed out.

It was a MAN'S life in the RN back in the day.. :rock:

Cheers

Gary

Oberon
11-09-13, 02:05 PM
:har:

Sounds a bit like the carrier landing game.

1) Consume quantities of alcohol to required level
2) Clear the surface of the bar
3) Pour some liquid across the surface of the bar
4) Run at the bar and then jump onto it and slide along it as far as you can without falling off, or
5) Slide along it and try to catch an arrestor wire (tie/rope/string) with your calves for a successful 'hook'

Naturally, the more alcohol is consumed, the better the game goes.

There's another version called 'Emergency carrier landing' where the above takes place but this time with pockets or other orifices stuffed with tissue and on fire. :03:

Herr-Berbunch
11-09-13, 06:25 PM
5) Slide along it and try to catch an arrestor wire (tie/rope/string) with your calves for a successful 'hook'

I always thought it was toes on the end of the table. Never played though so I could be wrong. :hmmm:

Oberon
11-09-13, 06:30 PM
I always thought it was toes on the end of the table. Never played though so I could be wrong. :hmmm:

Could be, could well be, makes more sense than rope or that but I guess also it depends on the length of slide, and indeed how much alcohol has been partaken. :03:

Mr Quatro
11-11-13, 11:57 AM
Ask your uncle if he ever got to see the golden rivet.

Don't forget to ask him about where the term, "candy ass" came from either.

I was not aware that the RAN, which stands for Royal Australian Navy, right?

That the RAN named it's ships HMS ... I thought the war with England was over and that they could name their ships anything they wanted to.

Pardon my ignorance :oops:

Oberon
11-11-13, 12:11 PM
I was not aware that the RAN, which stands for Royal Australian Navy, right?

That the RAN named it's ships HMS ... I thought the war with England was over and that they could name their ships anything they wanted to.

Pardon my ignorance :oops:

Eh? What war? Aussie warships are HMAS (His/Her Majestys Australian Ship), just like the Canucks have HMCS, if I recall correctly. I think it's to do with the Queen still being head of the armed forces or something like that. India doesn't, so it is INS, instead if HMIS.

It's a Commonwealth thing ;)

Jimbuna
11-12-13, 03:16 AM
Eh? What war? Aussie warships are HMAS (His/Her Majestys Australian Ship), just like the Canucks have HMCS, if I recall correctly. I think it's to do with the Queen still being head of the armed forces or something like that. India doesn't, so it is INS, instead if HMIS.

It's a Commonwealth thing ;)

Rgr that.

TarJak
11-12-13, 04:57 AM
Rgr that.

That's the problem.

Herr-Berbunch
11-12-13, 08:41 AM
You what? We're at war with Oz?

Who's going to staff the bars now?

Grant, be a love and get me a G&T, please, just one ice cube. :03:

Jimbuna