PDA

View Full Version : BAE cuts 1,775 jobs at UK yards

Jimbuna
11-06-13, 01:26 PM
The lions share of the cuts will be at Portsmouth where shipbuilding will cease despite £100 million for expansion.

Looks like Govan and Scotstoun will be the only shipbuilding areas of any real note in the future.

I wonder what will happen if Scotland vote for independence.

The arguments about Westminster trying to appease the Scots prior to the referendum should start soon.

BAE Systems is to cut 1,775 jobs at its yards in Scotland and England and end shipbuilding altogether at Portsmouth.
The firm said 940 staff posts and 170 agency workers will go at the Portsmouth site, which will retain repairs and maintenance work.
Some 835 jobs will be lost at yards in Govan and Scotstoun, on the River Clyde in Glasgow, and Rosyth in Fife and at the firm's Filton office, near Bristol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24831779

Oberon
11-06-13, 01:42 PM
It's a rather obvious attempt to push for the Scots to vote against independence, and the shameful death of a centuries old tradition of warship building at Portsmouth.

But those are the times we live in, alas.

Jimbuna
11-06-13, 03:19 PM
I'd have closed one of the two in Scotland making it one apiece left.

Herr-Berbunch
11-06-13, 05:28 PM
At least they didn't mention BAe Marine in Barrow - my mate works there on the Successor program for the next (after Astute class) submarine. :yeah:

Definitely a political move with the impending vote on an independent Scotland, I don't think they needed to do it though. TBH I thought military shipbuilding at Pompey went long ago.

Madox58
11-06-13, 07:49 PM
:hmmm:
I thought Scotland got thier Independence after Mel Gibson did Braveheart?

Jimbuna
11-07-13, 06:00 AM
:hmmm:
I thought Scotland got thier Independence after Mel Gibson did Braveheart?

That was a load of bollocks err...no, he lost them IIRC :)