PDA

View Full Version : TSA officer dead and 6 injured in LAX shooting

TarJak
11-01-13, 03:11 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-02/tsa-agent-killed-los-angeles-airport-shooting-lax-flights/5065584

Another mass shooting. More fuel for the gun debate. Gunman in custody but wounded.

Ducimus
11-01-13, 04:48 PM
I find this ironic considering I took 4 hours off from work this morning to go target shooting with a brother in law and zero in my rifle at 200 yards, and taking some shots at 600 yards. (lots of fun by the way)

After digging around some, from various news reports, the key things I take out of this is he had strong anti-government views, and was targeting TSA personnel.

My nickles worth:

- While I'm not a big fan of the federal government myself at the moment, I have to say this does not help anyone. It's just going to generate more anger, and hysteria, depending on ones point of view, and the resulting fallout from this incident.

- The shooting occurred in one of the most security strict areas, in a state with very strict gun control (california), and the shooter is reportly from a state that is also heavy on gun control. (new jersey from what I've read)

- America's favorite rifle (when you consider how many are owned across the nation) is being called a "High powered rifle". Ugh. Gotta love the media, and it's choice of words. Its deliberatly worded for maximum impact. My rifle, chambered in 7.62X51 is "high powered", a 5.56X45, while potent, is not what I would consider as a firearms enthusiast as "high powered". I really shudder to think of the damage that will be done if someday some nutjob loads up any box magazine fed semi auto in 7.62X51 and goes postal. It will far outstrip the damage done by the 5.56. Seriously. In the gun world, there's a saying about this caliber : "turning cover into concealment for 50 years". By way of comparison, a 5.56, though potent, is nothing more then a .22 with "a lot of ass behind the round". (edit: yes I'm making the assumption an AR-15 variant of some sort was used)

Oberon
11-01-13, 04:51 PM
I wonder when shootings in America will stop making news... :hmmm:

EDIT: And by this I mean, national or international news, rather than local news.

Jimbuna
11-01-13, 04:56 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-02/tsa-agent-killed-los-angeles-airport-shooting-lax-flights/5065584

Another mass shooting. More fuel for the gun debate. Funman in custody but wounded.

Yet another idiot thinking they know the ideal solution to what or whom they dislike :nope:

Ducimus
11-01-13, 04:57 PM

EDIT: And by this I mean, national or international news, rather than local news.

Never. The news loves it when people die, it makes ratings.
Don Henley continues to be spot on. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bBWBG9r2o)

Oberon
11-01-13, 05:02 PM
Never. The news loves it when people die, it makes ratings.
Don Henley continues to be spot on. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bBWBG9r2o)

The news loves it when people die in first world countries, when you compare the scale of the reporting of a shooting in America to a car bombing in Iraq, the difference is obscene, likewise in the terms of casualties.

Sad fact of the world we live in.

Ducimus
11-01-13, 05:07 PM
The news loves it when people die in first world countries, when you compare the scale of the reporting of a shooting in America to a car bombing in Iraq, the difference is obscene, likewise in the terms of casualties.

Sad fact of the world we live in.

Excellent point.

Tribesman
11-01-13, 05:22 PM

Most(nearly all) shootings in America only make local news.
A shooting at an international airport is bound to make international news

HW3
11-01-13, 06:34 PM
A shooting makes national news when it fits their agenda.

Wolferz
11-01-13, 06:49 PM
The TSA should mind who they grope.

Oberon
11-01-13, 06:59 PM
Most(nearly all) shootings in America only make local news.
A shooting at an international airport is bound to make international news

Good point, there is the risk, after all, that non-Americans will have been dragged into this. Most likely that this will not be the case, but when the story breaks the agencies aren't to know that.

EDIT: Apparently two of the stars from Mythbusters (not the main two) were in the building at the time:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/01/mythbusters-lax-shooting/

Tribesman
11-02-13, 01:43 AM
A shooting makes national news when it fits their agenda.
How so?
We are told that some news agencies want to ban guns because of the level of shootings that occur.
If that were the case then surely pushing their agenda would mean a much larger proportion of shootings were featured in the national news on a daily basis.
Also see below.....

Good point, there is the risk, after all, that non-Americans will have been dragged into this. Most likely that this will not be the case, but when the story breaks the agencies aren't to know that.

I initially saw this on Sky news, they carried the coverage produced by their sister company Fox news.
Bit of an international aspect there?
Now if news agencies only make shootings a big story if it fits their agenda as HW3 claims what is the agenda in regards to firearms control of Fox news?

Wolferz
11-02-13, 08:26 AM

Maybe when the journalists get a proper weapon identification chart...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Wolferz_2007/journalist-firearm-identification.jpg

Sailor Steve
11-02-13, 10:29 AM
Maybe when the journalists get a proper weapon identification chart...
Oh, come on! It's not that bad.

The first three "AK-47"s are AK-47s. The rest are just "Assault Rifles". :O:

Madox58
11-02-13, 10:55 AM
Bah! The National/International News people ignore little burgs like I live in.
http://www.13abc.com/story/23858399/two-dead-after-shooting-at-a-sportsmens-club-in-carey-oh

That is just a few minutes away from me!

Tribesman
11-02-13, 11:52 AM
Bah! The National/International News people ignore little burgs like I live in.
http://www.13abc.com/story/23858399/two-dead-after-shooting-at-a-sportsmens-club-in-carey-oh

That is just a few minutes away from me!
That's because you have too many shootings in the States for them to cover.
Lets see what you have just there...shooting, shooting, armed robbery, shooting, armed robbery, armed robbery, shooting, armed siege, shooting.....

Nice to see you had a twelve year old arrested for threats to kill everyone at school only a day after a 14 year old was in court for the same thing.
Now if those little local stories had gone on to the next stage without intervention then your area would certainly be on the nationals/internationals circuit.

I do like the story about the crazy man with three guns attacking the hospital staff.
I am surprised some of the nationals didn't jump on that and spin it into some sort of Obamacare scare story.:03:

Wolferz
11-02-13, 01:10 PM
The guy only killed one of those new government Gestapo agents?

So much for gun control. Amateur!:shifty:

Madox58
11-02-13, 01:15 PM
That's because you have too many shootings in the States for them to cover.
Lets see what you have just there...shooting, shooting, armed robbery, shooting, armed robbery, armed robbery, shooting, armed siege, shooting.....

I blame reality type TV programs.
Everybody wants to be on Cops!
Watta Goal in Life!
:haha:

mapuc
11-02-13, 03:59 PM
Haven't read much news the last 12 hours.

Have they found out why he did it?

I myself are wondering if it has anything to do with all these anti-TSA and other anti-government stuff you read on "special pages", Facebook and youtube.

Markus

Markus

CaptainMattJ.
11-02-13, 11:55 PM
Neither throwing more guns at nor taking away guns is ever going to stop the crazies from doing what they do. But if youve ever really watched your local news you'd realize that the reason this makes news is because news outlets thrive off ratings. Whatever is most likely going to get people to watch is what they air. They milk a story for all its worth and move on to the next as if the former never happened. All the "concern" and "debate" is actually little more than the media trying to turn profit like any other business. As long as a story still has value it is aired. The real reason the media thrives off of shootings is because they can fill in airtime with talking heads discussing the same exact circular arguments about gun control, thereby not only raking in views and profit but saving other useless news for later.

Wolferz
11-03-13, 08:14 AM
MattJ strikes the nail on the head.:up: It's all about that advertising money trying to snooker people into buying their products.
Personally, I ignore commercial ads. Especially the ones that support news hours with their overpaid talking heads interjecting their own opinions.

I sometimes wonder if these "news events" are manufactured fantasies designed to forward an agenda as well as supporting the media outlets.

Here's your bloody paycheck Matt Lauer.:stare:

TarJak
11-03-13, 04:31 PM
I sometimes wonder if these "news events" are manufactured fantasies designed to forward an agenda as well as supporting the media outlets.

Tell that to the families of the dead. :nope:

Bubblehead1980
11-03-13, 06:09 PM
MattJ strikes the nail on the head.:up: It's all about that advertising money trying to snooker people into buying their products.
Personally, I ignore commercial ads. Especially the ones that support news hours with their overpaid talking heads interjecting their own opinions.

Here's your bloody paycheck Matt Lauer.:stare:

I agree, it's just starting to happen too often compared to what it used to.Difficult to imagine things like this are manufactured.I tend to go with they are happening more often due to the media exposure and inspires perps to carry out such things to make a statement.Always have been nutjobs in this world, always will be.The timing of them just seems so convenient that any who is a thinking person can not help but have the thought "manufactured crisis" come to mind.Take for example the LAX shooting just suddenly happens in middle of a terrible week for big brother, out there I know, can't prove it, but it just seems to fit.Then again, the "exposure" theory I mentioned makes sense as well.

Hate to sound cold, I won't lose any sleep over this one, it was a TSA Agent after all.