PDA

View Full Version : Could Concorde ever fly again?

Jimbuna
10-24-13, 08:44 AM
Somehow I doubt it...even if the funding were available, the remaining airframes and systems have been mothballed for just over a decade and the cost of refurbishing them to a flyable condition would probably be more expensive than building from new.

A decade on, there is still a lot of anger at the way Concorde was retired with British Airways and Airbus, which was responsible for spares and maintenance, both often accused of pulling the plug too soon.

Almost as soon as the final flights touched down, a campaign was launched to get her airborne again. And it is still going strong.
The Save Concorde Group (SCG) wants British Airways to either help fund a heritage flight, or release an aircraft to someone else who will.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24629451

Schroeder
10-24-13, 09:09 AM
From my understanding Concords have always been pure prestige aircraft that never turned out a profit for the airlines. I bet they weren't to sad to retire them especially not with the latest developments in fuel prices and low cost competitors. I don't think that any airline would want to reactivate them any time soon.

AVGWarhawk
10-24-13, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a dream some folks have. My thoughts, Concorde has exhausted it's usefulness. I would concur with Schroeder.

She is a beautiful aircraft no doubt. The passion to see a heritage flight does not make good business sense for BA. Nor was keeping the Concorde flying. Hence the reason Concordes are not utilized any longer.

Herr-Berbunch
10-24-13, 10:10 AM
Should definitely have been sold to Branson, for which in itself would've netted BA a lovely profit for each one. At that time BA could've done with the cash so I really don't know why they didn't bite his hand off at the final offer of £5m each.

A lot of money was spent fitting liners to the fuel tanks and testing of one - I was fortunate enough to be at Brize for its arrival during this testing period and even more so for its departure - I was driving on the airfield and was held on the taxyway crossing runway 08. The lights changed to green and not one vehicle moved off, all eyes were watching this white swan soar into the air (amid a lot of smoke!), all hoping this would be a success and a certificate of airworthiness issed.

An often overseen reason for the scrapping was surely the most memorable events in living history, Sept 11th. That was the day of Concorde's first passenger flight since the previous year, the downturn in passengers for the next year or so made it less profitable. Couple that with Airbus ceasing maintenance, and politics (not Tories this time :O: ) meant bye bye.

nikimcbee
10-24-13, 10:32 AM
The fuel costs nowadays seem kinda high to operate it.

Herr-Berbunch
10-24-13, 10:46 AM
The fuel costs nowadays seem kinda high to operate it.

I think in the Middle and Far East there's never been a better time to run such an expensive aircraft at profit.

STEED
10-25-13, 08:01 AM
Yes...we need it to bomb the central banks. :rolleyes: