PDA

View Full Version : What a bunch of square pants!

Wolferz
10-21-13, 05:41 PM
http://news.msn.com/us/iraq-veterans-spongebob-gravestone-removed

And Indian givers too.:down:

Worse than an HOA.

Dread Knot
10-21-13, 06:01 PM
On a dark and spooky night a sight like this in a graveyard could bring on cardiac arrest.....due to laughter.

Look! It's Sponge Bob Slab Pants!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1491934.1382382338!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/cemetery22n-4-web.jpg

fireftr18
10-21-13, 06:24 PM
Although it is a stupid looking headstone, I agree with the family. In fact, I would even enjoy seeing something like that in a cemetary. At least the cemetary is willing to pay for the change.

Platapus
10-21-13, 08:03 PM
It sounds like the cemetery company is trying to work with the family toward a solution.

ind a solution, which could include a more traditional gravestone bearing small likeness of the character. They are also going to reimburse the family for the expense.

A company employee made a mistake. That should not be binding on the company. If I had relatives in that cemetery I would not want those markers either. The family has to realize that there are more families involved then just them.

The cemetery should never have approved the original stones.

Wolferz
10-21-13, 10:12 PM
It sounds like the cemetery company is trying to work with the family toward a solution.

They are also going to reimburse the family for the expense.

A company employee made a mistake. That should not be binding on the company. If I had relatives in that cemetery I would not want those markers either. The family has to realize that there are more families involved then just them.

The cemetery should never have approved the original stones.

I concur since a cemetery is a place for quiet introspection and nothing breaks that up like laughter.
As well they should reimburse the family for an employee mistake and learn to train their sales people in the rules before setting them loose on grieving relatives. Every company is liable for the actions of their employees unless they take the cheaters way out and incorporate as an LLC. I think the cemetery folks are being very gracious about it.
I've seen the final resting place of Jimi Hendrix and his headstone has a guitar engraved on it. It's nothing too flashy either. It's a flat surface mount jobbie to allow a mower to pass over it. They can do something similar for the two young ladies in the story.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Wolferz_2007/hendrix_jimi_11.jpg
The only oddity is the pennies and guitar picks that fans have super glued to it.
Nobody will need to worry about mine because I don't believe in owning any part of this planet. Especially land used as a garbage pit for my mummified remains.
Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust and no rotting involved.:up:

Oberon
10-21-13, 10:55 PM
Reminds me a bit of the problem they had with Spike Milligans grave, he wanted 'I told you I was ill' written on it, but the church got uppity about it, so they settled for writing it in Irish instead.

Jimbuna
10-22-13, 04:45 AM
Wasn't there one a while back belonging to a comedian which when read stated "What the f are you looking at?" :hmmm:

TarJak
10-22-13, 05:31 AM
In all honesty it looks better than some of these headstones:
http://farandwise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Mobster-3.jpg

http://farandwise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Mobster-4.jpg

http://farandwise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Mobster-2.jpg

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/resources/images/2570464.jpg

Personally I don't think Spongebob looks too bad and I'd be telling the cemetery to put them back if I'd paid for them.

Sailor Steve
10-22-13, 09:23 AM
I'm up in the air over this. I think people should have whatever they want, as long as it's not obscene. On the other hand Platapus makes some good points, and some folks might find Spongebob obscene.

On the other hand...
Nobody will need to worry about mine because I don't believe in owning any part of this planet. Especially land used as a garbage pit for my mummified remains.
Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust and no rotting involved.:up:
My sentiments exactly. There is a lot of space living people could use being taken up by those who no longer need it. I'm not advocating getting rid of cemetaries, but I don't plan on being part of it.

Armistead
10-22-13, 09:36 AM
I suffer from claustrophobia, so no casket for me. I know it's not supposed to matter, but just the thought of being trapped in a box underground disturbs me while I'm alive.

I have it clearly stated in my will, no funeral, no service, no nothing, have me cremated and give the box to my family to dump in the woods where I use to live...

Herr-Berbunch
10-22-13, 09:44 AM
A seven-foot headstone of Spongebob might be a little unorthodox for a cemetery, two of them doubly-so.

At least it's not a tiny sudoku - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24580742

The widow of a mathematician has been told to remove a Sudoku puzzle from his gravestone by the council.

Platapus
10-22-13, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately, my final resting desires are probably illegal.

After harvesting any organs that may be useful, I would want my body to be dumped in the middle of a huge forest. To be assimilated back into nature. :yep:

My body could feed countless animals, bacteria, and in the end help feed the forest itself. I am a part of nature. Nature has a system of "recycling".

I find the idea of pumping my body full of chemicals and locking it in an airtight box so only the anaerobic bacteria can feed on me to be abhorrent. :nope:

Cremation is a lot cleaner, and what I will probably be forced to do, but at the same time a waste of nutrients. Soylent Green jokes aside, there is much in nature that could benefit from a body that I no longer have a use for.

Stealhead
10-22-13, 09:55 AM

After harvesting any organs that may be useful, I would want my body to be dumped in the middle of a huge forest. To be assimilated back into nature. :yep:

My body could feed countless animals, bacteria, and in the end help feed the forest itself. I am a part of nature. Nature has a system of "recycling".

I find the idea of pumping my body full of chemicals and locking it in an airtight box so only the anaerobic bacteria can feed on me to be abhorrent. :nope:

Cremation is a lot cleaner, and what I will probably be forced to do, but at the same time a waste of nutrients. Soylent Green jokes aside, there is much in nature that could benefit from a body that I no longer have a use for.

Hopefully you will have some element of control over it and when your time is near you can just take a long hike and have it the way you desire.Of course in the grand scheme of things even the Russian guy with the fancy grave will get recycled everyone fades away sooner or later his efforts are wasted.

ETR3(SS)
10-22-13, 10:20 AM

Cremation is a lot cleaner, and what I will probably be forced to do, but at the same time a waste of nutrients. Soylent Green jokes aside, there is much in nature that could benefit from a body that I no longer have a use for.That's why I plan on being buried at sea. Think of all the fish that could feed on me, and then think of all the people that could feed on those fish. And then think of those people thinking about what the fish ate last, my ass. :har:

Tribesman
10-22-13, 10:39 AM

Do it like we do over here. They die you do the wake then throw them in the ground the next day. None of that pumping the body full of chemicals to preserve it until they get round to eventually putting it in the ground.

Wolferz
10-22-13, 02:59 PM
When ETR says "EAT ME!" he means business.:haha:

I'd rather be eaten by birds. That way I stand a better chance of becoming the crap that just landed on your shoulder.:arrgh!::D

If you want a fairly simple recycle, have your body fed to shoats..

AVGWarhawk
10-22-13, 03:19 PM
Simply lay the stone down. Many stones are made that lay down. Inscription on top.

Jimbuna
10-22-13, 03:49 PM
Simply lay the stone down. Many stones are made that lay down. Inscription on top.

That would work for me :yep:

Wolferz
10-22-13, 04:56 PM
Do it like we do over here. They die you do the wake then throw them in the ground the next day. None of that pumping the body full of chemicals to preserve it until they get round to eventually putting it in the ground.

We have all those pesky environmental laws here. If you get planted you must be encased in a sealed metal box which is then encased in a sealed concrete vault. We just can't have your mortal remains polluting the ground water.:hmmm:

u crank
10-22-13, 06:25 PM
If you get planted you must be encased in a sealed metal box which is then encased in a sealed concrete vault.

Sounds like zombie prevention to me. :D

Wolferz
10-22-13, 09:11 PM
Sounds like zombie prevention to me. :D

If Zombies came by to eat my brains they'd starve to death. Oh, wait, they're already dead.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tribesman
10-23-13, 01:39 AM
We have all those pesky environmental laws here. If you get planted you must be encased in a sealed metal box which is then encased in a sealed concrete vault. We just can't have your mortal remains polluting the ground water.:hmmm:
Can you cite the environmental laws?
It would appear that natural burials are allowed in the States.
It also seems that the concrete liners are only to make the cemetery look pretty and the sealed metal box is only to hold the preserving chemicals which law doesn't actually require you to add in the first place.:hmmm:

Wolferz
10-23-13, 06:44 AM
Can you cite the environmental laws?
It would appear that natural burials are allowed in the States.
It also seems that the concrete liners are only to make the cemetery look pretty and the sealed metal box is only to hold the preserving chemicals which law doesn't actually require you to add in the first place.:hmmm:

It's all about the Benjamins I suppose.:) Disposal of the dead is a big business.

Armistead
10-23-13, 08:22 AM

I don't think it's that hard if you're not in the city limits and you can even do it in many cities. Around here, outside the city limits, about all you need to do is report it, get a legal death certificate and the rest is up to you. I do think there are some acre laws, can't bury too close to someone elses land.

Herr-Berbunch
10-23-13, 10:25 AM
Just found this site for the UK - http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/

The nearest one to me looks like a lovely place. :yeah:

Tribesman
10-23-13, 10:55 AM
It's all about the Benjamins I suppose.:) Disposal of the dead is a big business.
Depends how big you let it grow.
For example, outside of town usually its still the neighbours that dig the grave, the family that carries the coffin, the wake/removal is at the house and the cortege walks to the cemetery.
In town the only difference is they have paid gravediggers and the removal is usually from a death house.

AVGWarhawk
10-23-13, 01:15 PM
Depends how big you let it grow.
For example, outside of town usually its still the neighbours that dig the grave, the family that carries the coffin, the wake/removal is at the house and the cortege walks to the cemetery.
In town the only difference is they have paid gravediggers and the removal is usually from a death house.

Here in the states, from my experience, it starts at about $5000. It can snowball to whatever number you like. Many folks have gone to cremation as it saves money. The only problem is the funeral homes noticed a loss in profits. The prices for cremation went up. Meh, donate your body to science. I think pick up is free.

Armistead
10-23-13, 03:10 PM
It' really a cost vs ego thing. The biggest problem today is no one wants to die. I read the majority of medicare cost is all the last year of life.

I think it would be better if we dug one big fire pit and place a diving board above it. When a person is told they have a year left to live or they're too miserable, give them the greatest time of their life for a week, best food, hookers, movies, whatever makes them happy. When the week is over, they climb up the ladder, give one last speech, choose their religion just in case, then jump off into the fiery pit below to be cremated. If a person can complete a triple flip before they're fried, the family gets a tax credit. In fact, make a pay for view TV show of it to take care of the cost.

Why not make death entertaining and exciting instead of sad?

Betonov
10-23-13, 03:19 PM
Good idea, but I think I'd just go to the deepest part of the local forrest and blow my brains out. Let the animals do the dirty work

Jimbuna
10-23-13, 03:44 PM
Good idea, but I think I'd just go to the deepest part of the local forrest and blow my brains out. Let the animals do the dirty work

You'd probably miss such a small target :O:

Betonov
10-23-13, 03:48 PM
I'm talking suicide, not murdering you :O:

Jimbuna
10-23-13, 03:55 PM
Then I'll take that as a compliment...when considering how rotund I'm becoming :)

Armistead
10-23-13, 05:07 PM

Not bad, but not much entertainment value for the rest of us, but very cost effective and it feeds animals.

TarJak
10-24-13, 03:54 AM
And adds nutrients to the soil.

Betonov
10-24-13, 05:40 AM
Even better. I'm a pasionate gardener.
Nothing better than be composted and turned into planting soil

Jimbuna
10-24-13, 06:29 AM

You sound like my neighbour...his garden is his reason for being :cool:

Herr-Berbunch
10-24-13, 06:43 AM
You sound like my neighbour...his garden is his reason for being :cool:

Gardner by name, gardener by nature? :hmmm:

Jimbuna
10-24-13, 07:43 AM
Not very popular atm...he's cut down/trimmed his fruit trees for winter so now we can see each other across the back fence.

Nothing wrong with that you might say but he also took delivery of a few tons of manure to turnover his planting and growing areas with.

Herr-Berbunch
10-24-13, 08:02 AM
Breathe it in, it's good for you. I get it a lot living out of town. :D

Betonov
10-24-13, 08:15 AM
Nothing wrong with that you might say but he also took delivery of a few tons of manure to turnover his planting and growing areas with.

You're lucky you're not my neighbour. Along with that manure smell you'd enjoy some poliester and epoxy fumes of my pet projects :)

Jimbuna
10-24-13, 08:34 AM
Breathe it in, it's good for you. I get it a lot living out of town. :D

You're lucky you're not my neighbour. Along with that manure smell you'd enjoy some poliester and epoxy fumes of my pet projects :)

Can't complain really, he keeps us stocked with apples, pears, tomatoes, cabbage and caulis.

Armistead
10-24-13, 09:00 AM

Another great idea B! I think human compost would be a great idea. The designs we could put on bags...

Wolferz
10-24-13, 06:30 PM
Another great idea B! I think human compost would be a great idea. The designs we could put on bags...

Grade A Bullskat in your case.:O: