PDA

View Full Version : The history of food

mapuc
10-21-13, 01:29 PM
We all have our special favorite, when it comes to food. Have you ever thought of where it original came from and it's origin regarding ingredients?

Studying the history of the food is also one of my big interest. A sort of sideways to my huge interest in ordinary history

I have found out where some of our food has it's origin, there are however to of my favorite that I can't find it's origin they are:

Tomatosoup
Chili Con Carne(many say it's from Mexico)

Here are something that we take for granted

Spaghetti-Italy is not it's orign. China is the correct answer
Pizza - Italy is not it's Origin-Greece is

Markus

AndyJWest
10-21-13, 01:44 PM
Tomatoes were being cultivated in Mesoamerica by around 500 BC. I'd have thought that they would have been used for something like a soup at least occasionally, long before the Spanish arrived. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Mesoamerica

Likewise, the chilli pepper is from the Americas - and using them to spice up some otherwise iffy meat may well go back to the dawn of the cooking pot. The BBC says that they were being used in cooking 6000 years ago. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6367299.stm

mapuc
10-21-13, 01:51 PM
^Thank you for your reply.

I know the history of the tomato and how they change it so it became red and juicy, but when did they invent tomatosoup and what did they use in the beginning

I also know, somehow, the history of chili and how they(forgot the word) But it's this Chili Con carne's origin I'm looking after.

Markus

Betonov
10-21-13, 03:09 PM
Spaghetti is from China, but pasta dough is from Rome.

It was easier for Romans to mill the grain, mix it with water, make thin lasagne like slices and dry it. It was easier to store that way and also easier too keep dry.

Sailor Steve
10-21-13, 03:32 PM
"Chili con carne" is simply Spanish for "chili with meat". Nothing more, nothing less. Chili was originally a cheap stew made with tomatoes and various other vegetables, especially chili peppers. Beans were easy to come by and made for a thicker texture, so it was more than just vegetable soup. Meat was sometimes scarce, so the addition of meat for poor Mexican peasants was a luxury worthy of mentioning, hence "con carne". These days meat is much more readily available and having it is pretty much expected. Most fans feel it isn't proper chili without meat, so it's all just called "chili".

Jimbuna
10-21-13, 03:37 PM
Check out 'curry' goes back more than 1000 years BC.

mapuc
10-21-13, 03:46 PM
"Chili con carne" is simply Spanish for "chili with meat". Nothing more, nothing less. Chili was originally a cheap stew made with tomatoes and various other vegetables, especially chili peppers. Beans were easy to come by and made for a thicker texture, so it was more than just vegetable soup. Meat was sometimes scarce, so the addition of meat for poor Mexican peasants was a luxury worthy of mentioning, hence "con carne". These days meat is much more readily available and having it is pretty much expected. Most fans feel it isn't proper chili without meat, so it's all just called "chili".

Thank you Steve.

So in the beginning Chili Con Carne was just Chili soup with vegetables and later in this cooking work meat came into this dish.

As I wrote in my first post I have heard mexico, I had hard to believe this because I knew the people was poor. I never thought or have read that they made it without meat.

Markus

Jimbuna
10-21-13, 03:56 PM
Pizza originates from the poorest who had bread and vegetables leftover.

mapuc
10-21-13, 04:16 PM
Pizza originates from the poorest who had bread and vegetables leftover.

Can't remember exact words in the article I read

It said that Pizza is not original from Italy, Pizza is from Greece. It was, however, the Italian how made it to what it is today. What Greece had it for and what they called it, well I can't remember.

In Sweden we have a national food called Ärtsoppa med fläsk(=pea soup with bacon) I was for years convinced that it was pure Swedish- I learned that it's origin is Finnish and it came to Sweden somewhere in the 15 century

Markus

Rockstar
10-21-13, 04:31 PM
In Sweden we have a national food called Ärtsoppa med fläsk(=pea soup with bacon) I was for years convinced that it was pure Swedish- I learned that it's origin is Finnish and it came to Sweden somewhere in the 15 century

that would explain it, on the Finn side of my family there was always pea soup or mojakka stew after a long day foraging for mushrooms.:03: