PDA

View Full Version : First time sinking this in TMO+RSRD.

Admiral Halsey
10-16-13, 05:19 PM
I was heading back to Surabaya when I noticed I had set my course closer to the Lombok Strait then normal and figured "Eh it's not even February of 42 yet I might as well leave it as i've got fuel to spare." At around 20:00 hours on January 22nd my sonarman alerted me to a warship contact. I figured it was an ABDA ship so I decided to find out what kind it was. Well lo and behold it turned out to be a Japanese sub and at 23:00 hours I got me solution set and fired 4 torps at it with two hits.(The other two were duds and considering how bad early war torps are i'm not complaining at the success rate for this attack.) It proceeded to sink like a rock and Japan was deprived of one sub.

Bubblehead1980
10-16-13, 08:04 PM
I was heading back to Surabaya when I noticed I had set my course closer to the Lombok Strait then normal and figured "Eh it's not even February of 42 yet I might as well leave it as i've got fuel to spare." At around 20:00 hours on January 22nd my sonarman alerted me to a warship contact. I figured it was an ABDA ship so I decided to find out what kind it was. Well lo and behold it turned out to be a Japanese sub and at 23:00 hours I got me solution set and fired 4 torps at it with two hits.(The other two were duds and considering how bad early war torps are i'm not complaining at the success rate for this attack.) It proceeded to sink like a rock and Japan was deprived of one sub.

Nice.Those are always fun to sink, esp since it's a rare encounter.Always felt it was a huge oversight by the devs not to include enemy AI subs in Sh 4.Luckily the modders stepped in and at least we have them on surface and will react with deck gun.Seems like before long we will have enemy subs that submerge and can fire torpedos.Imagine being on your way home and suddenly you are dodging torpedo or two.

Nice job.

Admiral Halsey
10-16-13, 08:41 PM
Nice.Those are always fun to sink, esp since it's a rare encounter.Always felt it was a huge oversight by the devs not to include enemy AI subs in Sh 4.Luckily the modders stepped in and at least we have them on surface and will react with deck gun.Seems like before long we will have enemy subs that submerge and can fire torpedos.Imagine being on your way home and suddenly you are dodging torpedo or two.

Nice job.

Thanks. I just wish it wasn't a repainted Type IX. Also that torpedo mod of yours is working great.

donna52522
10-16-13, 10:39 PM
The Japanese subs I found weren't re-paints of U-Boats...they were Japanese. There are also AI U-Boats.

Admiral Halsey
10-16-13, 11:04 PM
The Japanese subs I found weren't re-paints of U-Boats...they were Japanese. There are also AI U-Boats.

This one was. The only difference was the conning tower was sloped at the front.(I'm guessing it was to represent the Sen Toku class which isn't in the game.)

Dread Knot
10-17-13, 06:45 AM
This one was. The only difference was the conning tower was sloped at the front.(I'm guessing it was to represent the Sen Toku class which isn't in the game.)

The Japanese KD3 and KD4 types had sloped conning towers as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Japanese_submarine_I-164_in_1930.jpg

The Type C1 had a sloped forward conning tower , too.

http://www.allwoodships.com/Submarines/Japan/Image/Type-C1-Large.jpg

Of, course, the Japanese built a bewildering variety of subs with major differences in appearance sometime in the same type. It's hard to keep track of them all. :/\\!!

Congrats on sinking one. Who knows? You may have saved the Yorktown, Wasp or Indianapolis. :up:

Admiral Halsey
10-17-13, 08:34 AM
The Japanese KD3 and KD4 types had sloped conning towers as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Japanese_submarine_I-164_in_1930.jpg

The Type C1 had a sloped forward conning tower , too.

http://www.allwoodships.com/Submarines/Japan/Image/Type-C1-Large.jpg

Of, course, the Japanese built a bewildering variety of subs with major differences in appearance sometime in the same type. It's hard to keep track of them all. :/\\!!

Congrats on sinking one. Who knows? You may have saved the Yorktown, Wasp or Indianapolis. :up:

Of those three the Indy is the one I would hope I saved the most.