PDA

View Full Version : New to SH4, should I mod?

Shandiir
10-06-13, 07:36 PM
Hey guys.

I have played SH3 and SH5 with Mods and loved SH3. SH 5 was better that what they released but SH3 is so much better to play.

But I have picked up a copy of SH4 and want to know should I play it by itself or Mod it from the start? Also what mods should be used?

fireftr18
10-06-13, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the Pacific theatre. :salute:
You'll get at least as many opinions as people who answer. :D We do all agree that if you haven't, go ahead and upgrade to version 1.5. It is also known as The U-boat add-on. It's officially called Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat add-on.
The mods I use are TMO, RSRDC, MaxOptics, and several smaller mods.
Pay attention to what everyone says, experiment, and find what you like best.

Admiral Halsey
10-06-13, 08:02 PM
I would practice with the stock campaign to get a feel before actually using any of the mods.

Aktungbby
10-06-13, 08:05 PM
Hey guys.

I have played SH3 and SH5 with Mods and loved SH3. SH 5 was better that what they released but SH3 is so much better to play.

But I have picked up a copy of SH4 and want to know should I play it by itself or Mod it from the start? Also what mods should be used?
Welcome back Shandir: its awhile since your last post. More proficient tech Kaleuns...er captains will assist you.:salute:

merc4ulfate
10-06-13, 10:07 PM
I have come to enjoy both sides of the game. It is nice to be able to play as a U boat and as a U.S. submarine.

If your going to play the German side ... and it is highly addictive I suggest you get these modes and make sure they are in this oprder to reduce glitches.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
OMEGU_v300_Patch7

When using the Generic Mod Enabler you can create Mod profiles so instead of unloading and then reloading mods manually you simply load a profile and it can change everything from a German setup to an American mod set up quickly

Mikemike47
10-06-13, 10:11 PM
Hey guys.

I've played SH3, SH4 and SH5. All have their strengths and weaknesses, plus what ocean you play in. As I discovered each game series and heard so much on how the stock version was not fiinshed decently by Ubisoft, I started researching the mods for each game and never looked back.

Welcome to the Pacific theatre. :salute:
You'll get at least as many opinions as people who answer. :D We do all agree that if you haven't, go ahead and upgrade to version 1.5. It is also known as The U-boat add-on. It's officially called Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat add-on.
The mods I use are TMO, RSRDC, MaxOptics, and several smaller mods.
Pay attention to what everyone says, experiment, and find what you like best.
Check what fireftr18 said in above from fleetboat mod forums plus Real fleet boat or Game Fixes Only mod.
I played with small mods, plus GFO, plus TMO, plus RSRD all installed generally in that order. Just read the documentation in the first few posts of each thread please. Traveler Mod I heard is wonderful, but I haven't experimented with it yet.

If you do not want to get Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat add-on, I would suggest to get it. Even if you do not want to play in the far east campaign. Most mods, nowadays, are modded for SH4 1.5. I think it fixes other general issues, but do not remember anymore. Buy through the amazon link from subsim to support these forum costs.

Update: I do not see the Amazon banner link at the upper right side of subsim anymore. Contact Neal Stevens by PM, or maybe any of the moderators by PM, they might now about Amazon and subsim.

Far east campaign has a great mod called operation monsun. I never used OMEGA much but there is a lot of conversation about it.

Armistead
10-06-13, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't play stock more than a few patrols, it's bugged, unrealistic and you'll learn habits you'll have to change when you move to realistic mods like TMO.

TorpX
10-07-13, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't play stock more than a few patrols, it's bugged, unrealistic and you'll learn habits you'll have to change when you move to realistic mods like TMO.
Ditto!

Why torture yourself?

Playing with RFB, or GFO won't be any harder than stock.

Shandiir
10-07-13, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the advice.
The copy of SH4 came with Uboats in the box :yeah:

Now loading up TMO!

Hinrich Schwab
10-07-13, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the advice.
The copy of SH4 came with Uboats in the box :yeah:

Now loading up TMO!

Be prepared. TMO is notorious for being rough on new skippers. It does not pull any punches at all. I also agree with the other recommendations that you play stock until you are comfortable with the SH4 engine. Yes, the AI suffers from "short attention span syndrome" and the missions are wonky, but it will allow you to ease into the game. TMO will not hesitate to kill you after making the slightest mistake. I am just now trying TMO after three years of SH3+GWX+SHCommander, SH4+RFB and SH5+TDW Mod Soup. I am having no real issues with TMO, but it would have mauled me as a new captain.

Admiral Halsey
10-07-13, 02:58 PM
Be prepared. TMO is notorious for being rough on new skippers. It does not pull any punches at all. I also agree with the other recommendations that you play stock until you are comfortable with the SH4 engine. Yes, the AI suffers from "short attention span syndrome" and the missions are wonky, but it will allow you to ease into the game. TMO will not hesitate to kill you after making the slightest mistake. I am just now trying TMO after three years of SH3+GWX+SHCommander, SH4+RFB and SH5+TDW Mod Soup. I am having no real issues with TMO, but it would have mauled me as a new captain.

I can attest to that. When I had bought SH4 I did some research and only played one stock campaign mission as practice before downloading TMO. I died about 15 time before I ever actually completed a single patrol.(Though the first 3 were caused by me not realizing that you can click the depth gauge so you can go lower then a 165 feet.)

JoeCorrado
10-07-13, 04:26 PM
Hey guys.

Definitely mod using GFO at the very least. GFO (Game Fixes Only) will do as the name suggests and allow you to enjoy the game minus many glitches and over-sites present in the stock game. This will give you a base line to evaluate the "stock" game versus whatever Z"super Mods" you may decide to try.

RSRDC is great for participating in classic historical naval actions recreated in detail. Merchant shipping exists but in much lower numbers from other mods, or the stock game.

TMO is great for those seeking a challenge- from ASW perspective, you will be faced with a dangerous foe, from the air as well as the sea- and merchants are fully capable of sinking you with their own guns.

Each super mod is aimed at a particular audience so decide what you want from the game and experiment. Pay close attention to compatibilities as described in the documentations because some mods do not mix well together.

Shandiir
10-10-13, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the warning on TMO. I did play SH4 years ago, with a friends copy. I am loving the challenge of TMO, those bloody destroyers!!!

I am spending more time under the thermal layer and shooting, but still getting results. But I am not up to manual targeting yet. Still getting the feel for the mod first :rotfl2:

Alexander Hamilton
10-16-13, 08:58 AM
I suggest and endorse fully TMO 2.5.It works fine, the campaign is great, no ctds.I really enjoy it.:up:

Sailor Steve
10-16-13, 09:19 AM
Update: I do not see the Amazon banner link at the upper right side of subsim anymore. Contact Neal Stevens by PM, or maybe any of the moderators by PM, they might now about Amazon and subsim.
The Amazon banner is back now, but in the future if you don't see it you can always reach it in 'Quick Links' on the Subim toolbar, top of page, second from right. :sunny: