PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question for you science people.

Red October1984
10-04-13, 10:57 PM
Okay.

Today, in science class... I really got to thinking...

You know how when you touch something...you don't really touch something? It's the atomic magnetic fields bouncing off of each other.

How does ink work? :hmmm:

Simple things are causing me headaches today... Ink...The Internet...

And then there's trying to comprehend Space...if all things are made of matter, what is Space?

:doh:

Betonov
10-04-13, 11:45 PM
Yeah, things can be minboggling :D
That's the fun of it.

Here's one to get the juices flowing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYil-x1wAtE

Stealhead
10-04-13, 11:46 PM
You are over thinking thing a slight bit.You actually are touching something when you touch it.

What you are thinking of is called semantics.

The basic answer to your question is best described this post from a physics forum:

"At the atomic level, physical objects do not have clear, hard boundaries. Physical objects are made of atoms, which contain electrons, which have repulsive forces.

It is these forces that interact when physical objects come into contact with each other.

We can feel texture because texture is a macroscopic property of objects, far, far larger in scale than the individual atoms."

Stealhead
10-04-13, 11:50 PM
Best we just turned a minor headache into a migraine.

Anyway to put it simply on a biological rather than a physics level yes you really do touch objects.

I am no expert but ink,paint things like that work because they form a bound over whatever they are applied that would all be chemical reactions much more so than physical.

Red October1984
10-05-13, 01:31 AM
You are over thinking thing a slight bit.You actually are touching something when you touch it.

Anything to back that up?

This video had some pretty important people explaining this...and they have a contradicting theory to yours.

What you are thinking of is called semantics.

The basic answer to your question is best described this post from a physics forum:

"At the atomic level, physical objects do not have clear, hard boundaries. Physical objects are made of atoms, which contain electrons, which have repulsive forces.

It is these forces that interact when physical objects come into contact with each other.

We can feel texture because texture is a macroscopic property of objects, far, far larger in scale than the individual atoms."

:hmmm:

I'm still not sure what to think.

Betonov
10-05-13, 03:23 AM
Stealhead is right. On a macro level matter is matter including the empty space between the atoms and the electron clouds. And we feel that bond between atoms as a solid matter.

Just like a division is a number of individuals that has space between them, but they act like a single entity. Take Napoleonic warfare to better understand my comparison.

He may be overthinking, but at least he's thinking. A rare sight in people his age :)

Jimbuna
10-05-13, 03:53 AM
I'm still not sure what to think.

I think you should send your homework to Stealhead for him to do.

Oberon
10-05-13, 06:34 AM
I believe that the paper acts as a semi absorbent material for the ink to diffuse into, although since the ink has different parts to it, they in turn will have a different preference for absorption, this is the basis of Chromatography.

Fun experiment for you, take two completely different ink pens (preferably something like a fountain pen) of the same colour, and then draw a large dot with each pen on two separate bits of kitchen paper, then give the pens to someone else and get them to make a third dot using one of the pens on another bit of kitchen paper, but without you watching, so you do not know which one of the pens made the dot.
You should now have three strips of kitchen paper (make sure to remember which pen did which of the two strips that you created) two that you know what pen made the dot and one that you don't. Dip the bottom of all three into a small layer of water...DO NOT put the ink dot directly in the water, let the water travel up the paper.
In theory, when the water reaches the dot, it should create a pattern as it continues to travel up the paper, this pattern is created by the competition between the ink and the water for the 'sticky sites' on the paper, and it is unique for each different type of ink. Therefore, in theory, you should be able to tell which pen created the third dot by comparing the patterns.
This is Chromatography, and it's used by Forensic detectives for comparing ink based evidence, for example items of fabric when you just have one strand of fabric.
Here's more information:
http://www.lcresources.com/discus/messages/5136/3819.html?SaturdaySeptember1320030427am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/forensic_detective.shtml

In regards to space, space does contain matter, it contains primarily helium and hydrogen plasma particles, it is a hard vacuum...but as the old saying goes 'nature abhors a vacuum' so even in the far flung gaps between the stars there isn't truly a full vacuum in which no matter exists at all. The difference between vacuum and atmosphere is the density in which the matter exists, in a vacuum the particles are quite far apart, whereas in an atmosphere they're pretty close together (depending on your altitude obviously, which is why it takes more effort to get oxygen atoms into your lungs at higher altitudes, because there are less of them around).
Then there's Dark matter, which we don't have a complete understanding of because we can't actually observe it directly, but we know it exists because we can see how it interacts with other objects in the universe. It's a bit like the wind really, we can't see it but we can see how it effects stuff. It's estimated that dark matter may form over eighty percent of all matter in the universe, but that's something that's all still being researched.

Dowly
10-05-13, 06:39 AM
Magnets. It has got to be magnets somehow. :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
10-05-13, 08:11 AM
And then there's trying to comprehend Space...if all things are made of matter, what is Space?

:doh:
Even though the rarest space still has some microscopic bits floating around in it, space is defined as the void between celestial bodies. This means that space isn't made of matter, but is defined as the absence of matter. It's not a thing - it's nothing.

I was going to make a joke about the space bar on your computer, but in a sense it actually illustrates that fact. Though the absence of letters on the screen or on a paper still leaves the background, as far as typing goes there is nothing there.

As for the rest? Let's get out of physics and into metaphisics. How do you know whether you actually touch something or not? The answer, on a metaphysical level, is that you don't. All you can say for certain is that your senses tell you that you've touched something, and at the most basic level that's all that counts.

Wow! Four "that"s in one sentence! That must mean something. Or not.

Tango589
10-05-13, 10:48 AM
Four "that"s in one sentence! That must mean something. Or not.

Yeah, it means I've just read all this and need to sit in a darkened room with a soothing pint until my brain cools down.:doh:

nikimcbee
10-05-13, 10:52 AM
....and that's why I'm a language major.:haha::shifty::dead:

Depending what it is, I'll put it in the electron microscope and take a picture for you.:03:

Red October1984
10-05-13, 01:35 PM
I believe that the paper acts as a semi absorbent material for the ink to diffuse into, although since the ink has different parts to it, they in turn will have a different preference for absorption, this is the basis of Chromatography.

I've done some of that before. :yep:

In regards to space, space does contain matter, it contains primarily helium and hydrogen plasma particles, it is a hard vacuum...but as the old saying goes 'nature abhors a vacuum' so even in the far flung gaps between the stars there isn't truly a full vacuum in which no matter exists at all. The difference between vacuum and atmosphere is the density in which the matter exists, in a vacuum the particles are quite far apart, whereas in an atmosphere they're pretty close together (depending on your altitude obviously, which is why it takes more effort to get oxygen atoms into your lungs at higher altitudes, because there are less of them around).
Then there's Dark matter, which we don't have a complete understanding of because we can't actually observe it directly, but we know it exists because we can see how it interacts with other objects in the universe. It's a bit like the wind really, we can't see it but we can see how it effects stuff. It's estimated that dark matter may form over eighty percent of all matter in the universe, but that's something that's all still being researched.

Clears it up a little bit. :hmmm:

+1 for the low-budget answer :03:

Even though the rarest space still has some microscopic bits floating around in it, space is defined as the void between celestial bodies. This means that space isn't made of matter, but is defined as the absence of matter. It's not a thing - it's nothing.

I was going to make a joke about the space bar on your computer, but in a sense it actually illustrates that fact. Though the absence of letters on the screen or on a paper still leaves the background, as far as typing goes there is nothing there.

As for the rest? Let's get out of physics and into metaphisics. How do you know whether you actually touch something or not? The answer, on a metaphysical level, is that you don't. All you can say for certain is that your senses tell you that you've touched something, and at the most basic level that's all that counts.

Wow! Four "that"s in one sentence! That must mean something. Or not.

I understand now.

And I guess I never really deeply thought about how big the universe is... I always knew it was bigger than anybody can imagine....but :timeout: ...

Take our galaxy....It's around 100K-120K light years across...

I know that there's a way they can determine distances with faraway stars and planets....They can even determine things without even seeing the planet...

But how do they know for sure that our Galaxy is that wide? How do they know how wide other galaxies are?

He may be overthinking, but at least he's thinking. A rare sight in people his age :)

Oh...really?

We're not completely incapable of thinking. :O:

This isn't homework...this is me thinking. :hmmm:

Platapus
10-05-13, 01:40 PM
In regards to space, space does contain matter, it contains primarily helium and hydrogen plasma particles, it is a hard vacuum...but as the old saying goes 'nature abhors a vacuum' so even in the far flung gaps between the stars there isn't truly a full vacuum in which no matter exists at all.

I think it is safe to say that space is only mostly a vacuum. :D

When you think about it, how would one be able to measure an actual absolute vacuum? How can you tell that there is nothing? :hmmm:

Platapus
10-05-13, 01:54 PM
But how do they know for sure that our Galaxy is that wide? How do they know how wide other galaxies are?

Well, to be honest, they don't know. What they do know is that using the currently understood physics models, an approximation of the size of a galaxy can be made. This approximation can be repeated using different data sets, so it satisfies the one of the principles of the Scientific Method. Since this approximation works in other physics models, it is considered valid.

A lot of what occurs in the study of physics is based on agreement. A defensible and logical agreement, but an agreement.

Since no one we know about has ever gone out there to measure, nor do we know of a better way to measure the "size" of a "galaxy" what ever those terms mean, our models and the approximations resulting from those models are the best we can do.

All that can change if different data is collected or a different model is developed. That's what makes science good. What we "know" can and should change if there are different models or different data.

Red October1984
10-05-13, 03:34 PM
Well, to be honest, they don't know. What they do know is that using the currently understood physics models, an approximation of the size of a galaxy can be made. This approximation can be repeated using different data sets, so it satisfies the one of the principles of the Scientific Method. Since this approximation works in other physics models, it is considered valid.

A lot of what occurs in the study of physics is based on agreement. A defensible and logical agreement, but an agreement.

Since no one we know about has ever gone out there to measure, nor do we know of a better way to measure the "size" of a "galaxy" what ever those terms mean, our models and the approximations resulting from those models are the best we can do.

All that can change if different data is collected or a different model is developed. That's what makes science good. What we "know" can and should change if there are different models or different data.

See...that's what I thought.

They can't know that for sure...but they can make an educated guess that people agree on.

Platapus
10-05-13, 03:51 PM
Scientists are usually very reluctant to use the word "know". :D

nikimcbee
10-05-13, 05:01 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33659181.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=1OXfweBz428JOM&tbnid=PncKD0S3CEt5hM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemegenerator.net%2Finstance%2F33 659181&ei=F4xQUsT2Kca4igL29IDADQ&bvm=bv.53537100,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNFE2VDQZaHH37UW6bV7Qk6Fgi5Vaw&ust=1381096835162290)

Betonov
10-05-13, 05:12 PM
http://doblelol.com/uploads/13/funny-cat-pictures-physics.jpg

Madox58
10-05-13, 05:21 PM
Everyone knows Space is NOT a vacuum!
It's filled with Dark Matter!
(I pretty sure it's stuff like crunchy peanut butter when you want smooth)
That's what is pushing the Galaxies apart when everything We know says it should not be moveing apart!
DUH!!
:haha:

Platapus
10-05-13, 05:57 PM
What I don't understand is that if sound does not travel through a vacuum, why does my vacuum cleaner make so much noise?

Oberon
10-05-13, 06:00 PM
What I don't understand is that if sound does not travel through a vacuum, why does my vacuum cleaner make so much noise?

http://alien-ufo-research.com/images/forum-images/ancient-alien-guy-8.jpeg

Sailor Steve
10-05-13, 06:33 PM
Everyone knows Space is NOT a vacuum!
It's filled with Dark Matter!
So the old 'Ether' theories were true? :o

Because your vacuum cleaner sucks! :O:

Or maybe because you're on the outside. Inside it might be dead quiet, but there's no way to check. You know, like the refrigerator light.

Tango589
10-05-13, 08:51 PM
Because your vacuum cleaner sucks! :O:

Or maybe because you're on the outside. Inside it might be dead quiet, but there's no way to check. You know, like the refrigerator light.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9821/graham.jpg

Stealhead
10-05-13, 09:11 PM

The more he pays the better his grade will be.

I will just have my daughter do it and she can keep the money.

What you can do Red is look up the different theories and you can choose to believe the one that seems most logical to you.

This is theoretical physics mind you.

This is my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAdwS5MFjQ

Sailor Steve
10-05-13, 09:36 PM
Dear Captain 589;

While I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform, I feel it necessary to point out that your accusations of silliness on my part have no connection to reality. I have not a silly bone in my body, and I am offended that you would suggest such a trait on my part. I have now lost all respect for you and hereby inform you that I will no longer support your campaign to improve the Wolcott village library.

Sincerely;
Arthur Babbington Jones (Mrs.)

BrucePartington
10-05-13, 09:40 PM
What you can do Red is look up the different theories and you can choose to believe the one that seems most logical to you.

This is theoretical physics mind you.

This is my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAdwS5MFjQ

This is my favorite
So we finally managed to get Red hooked on this stuff.
About this video, regarding the hypothetical migration to another universe, it will have to be a "friendly" universe, as in the laws of physics will be similar to the ones here. Recently I stumbled on another video about gravity, where they concluded that gravity is a rather weak force (compared to others) because it is leaking into our universe, possibly from another universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Babitv4Fg

Edit: complete documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ds47ozzSrU

Sailor Steve
10-05-13, 09:46 PM
Sorry, man. There's no such thing as gravity.

The Earth sucks. :O:

BrucePartington
10-05-13, 10:04 PM
Sorry, man. There's no such thing as gravity.

The Earth sucks. :O:
Is Earth a vacuum cleaner that sucked in gravity?

Now seriously, the huge space in between the lines suggests to me you probably posted an image, which for some 11th dimension reason is not showing on my end of the multiverse.
I've noticed that sometimes images posted are invisible to some of us, they get sucked into another dimension, with no predictable pattern whatsoever. Has anyone figured out why?

Red October1984
10-05-13, 11:25 PM
Dear Captain 589;

While I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform, I feel it necessary to point out that your accusations of silliness on my part have no connection to reality. I have not a silly bone in my body, and I am offended that you would suggest such a trait on my part. I have now lost all respect for you and hereby inform you that I will no longer support your campaign to improve the Wolcott village library.

Sincerely;
Arthur Babbington Jones (Mrs.)

Not a silly bone? What about the humerus.

Wolcott library? You're reminding me of the old lady from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

"Time to pray..."

"I pledge allegiance...to the flag..."

So we finally managed to get Red hooked on this stuff.
About this video, regarding the hypothetical migration to another universe, it will have to be a "friendly" universe, as in the laws of physics will be similar to the ones here. Recently I stumbled on another video about gravity, where they concluded that gravity is a rather weak force (compared to others) because it is leaking into our universe, possibly from another universe.

Oh I've been interested in the stuff forever...but I don't think I've ever posted on here about it. :)

Is Earth a vacuum cleaner that sucked in gravity?

Now seriously, the huge space in between the lines suggests to me you probably posted an image, which for some 11th dimension reason is not showing on my end of the multiverse.
I've noticed that sometimes images posted are invisible to some of us, they get sucked into another dimension, with no predictable pattern whatsoever. Has anyone figured out why?

Well...

There was the magnent theory...

Platapus
10-06-13, 07:16 AM
And then there is this whole "pushing gravity" thing......:D

Sailor Steve
10-06-13, 10:51 AM
No, I just wanted a big gap between the setup and the punch line. A pregnant pause, if you will. The other shoe waiting to drop.

BrucePartington
10-06-13, 11:08 AM
No, I just wanted a big gap between the setup and the punch line. A pregnant pause, if you will. The other shoe waiting to drop.
We're all sucked in:O:
At 04.00 am last night my brain wasn't up to par. My bed was exerting a very strong pull on me. Or was it gravity pulling my wit into the earth's core?

Edit: Dang! I just realised that was the second double meaning punch you threw last night. I guess I'm not as smart as I thought.
I guess that for people who are interested in cosmology the Earth looses relevance.
About Earth, I recently watched a very interesting documentary on its formation, from NatGeo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQm6N60bneo

Aktungbby
10-06-13, 01:10 PM
In comedy timing is everything! Wait! Edgar Cayce says there is no time- it all takes place in the same moment:doh::hmm2:

Sailor Steve
10-06-13, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but Edgar Cayce was a psycoti...I mean psychic!

Aktungbby
10-06-13, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Oberon;2123774]

Then there's Dark matter, which we don't have a complete understanding of because we can't actually observe it directly, but we know it exists because we can see how it interacts with other objects in the universe.[QUOTE}
You will very shortly (and briefly) when the Bermuda Triangle enlarges into its true nature and you cross the event horizon of a moderate black hole and are converted to superhot neutrino:O: ala Stephan Hawking 'A brief History of Time': chapter seven "Black Holes Ain't So Black". Enjoy your Psychological Time Arrow even as your Cosmological Time Arrow is closing in. Entropy is immanent; God throws dice; the speed of light is slowing down(Albert needs to look at E=MCsq'd again) and you will be recycled to :subsim: again in the next BIG BANG:sunny: as an UNMODIFIED Sasquatch. You may reflect that about 5 years ago, there was no solar wind coming our way for a brief period; something real big is closer than we can't see to cause that...:hmm2: :nope: It's been good to know y'all:rock:

Aktungbby
10-06-13, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but Edgar Cayce was a psycoti...I mean psychic!
Yes and we are in the same moment:salute:LOS

Wolferz
10-08-13, 06:17 AM
Does anything really exist? If you're not observing it directly, no it does not.
Perceptive reality theory.

Covalent bondage of atoms creates solid matter. With density determined by the properties of those atoms (number of electrons around each nucleus) and how their muons interact.
Do not quote me.:O:

Just remember... Once you accept that the universe is nothing expanding into something, then you can wear plaid with stripes without fear of repercussion and you can't pass through a black hole without having all of your molecules smeared across the event horizon by extreme gravitational fields.

Basically, it's all electromagnetism.