PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about SH3 GWX 3 Gold/ just reinstalled

Grotesque
10-04-13, 07:27 AM
I gave a try the newly released SH Online and all it did was to open my apetite for a real u-boat simulator, so...

...I just reinstalled SH3 after 8 years with the Grey Wolves 3 Gold mod and I have a couple of questions:

Can you manually turn the hydrophone wheel and listen to it?
I ask because I hover the mouse over the wheel in the sonar and radio chamber, mouse turns red and tooltip says Hydrophone, I click it but nothing happens! (same with radar?)

In a Type IX u-boat, where is the observation periscope in the control room? I climbed up in the conning tower and there is a periscope. (wrongly named by the tooltip observation periscope)
But I can't find the observation periscope in the control room to click it with the mouse and activate it. (I know I can use the icon shortcuts but I want to know if I am missing something and its absence is immersion breaker :) )

PS: what other mods are the most popular and are used/compatible with the GWX 3 Gold mod. ( I am interested in realism and manual sweeping/calculation)

Thank you!

BigWalleye
10-04-13, 07:53 AM
If you place the cursor anywhere on the bearing dial at the hydrophone station and left-click, the hydrophone will sweep to that bearing and stop. IIRC, you can click-and-drag the bearing pointer also.

Sorry, but I don't know about the Typ IX. Someone around here will, though.

H.sie's and Stiebler's patchers are good, and I think Hitman's optics gives you the most historically correct scopes - FoV, power, and reticles. It doesn't match the movie, but it does match existing WW@ optics.

Best single addition for realism, IMO, is voice command. Download sh3speech here: http://knepfler.com/shSpeech/. It takes a bit of cutting and fitting to adapt it to whatever GUI you are using, but the basic commands work right out of the box. Get a cheapo headset for under $20 from the Shack, and you're in business. WW2 subs were not controlled by a keyboard. The CO gave orders and the crew carried them out. sh3speech let's you run SH3 that way, and it adds a whole new dimension of immersion.

"Ahead one-third. Periscope depth."
"Jawohl, Herr Kaleun."

Or, if you're fluent enough, you can give all your commands von Deutch.

the dark knight
10-04-13, 01:17 PM
Well, the scopes depend on what Type IX you have. Historically, the Type IXA and B had 3 scopes, 2 in the tower (observation and attack) and another observation in the control room. The IXC and D deleted the control room periscope. Both of your scopes should be in the tower if you are running a IXC or D. If you look closely there are two if you are in the tower, and sometimes they look like one scope (if you get in heavy seas on the surface you can see both as the ship sways). If I recall correctly, you can click on either to get to the one you want. Right now I am in a Type VII in early 1940 and it has been a long time since I had my Type IX. I am just going off memory here.

Jimbuna
10-04-13, 02:10 PM
Welcome to SubSim :salute:

Try checking out the SH3 Downloads section.....there are a great many excellent mods to choose from.

Sailor Steve
10-04-13, 02:11 PM
PS: what other mods are the most popular and are used/compatible with the GWX 3 Gold mod. ( I am interested in realism and manual sweeping/calculation)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170090

Grotesque
10-04-13, 02:57 PM
http://s18.postimg.org/vs15scgzt/soanr.png

here is the what I am talking about. clicking it does nothing.
can I operate the hydrophone or not?

Dronston
10-04-13, 03:30 PM
If you place the cursor anywhere on the bearing dial at the hydrophone station and left-click, the hydrophone will sweep to that bearing and stop. IIRC, you can click-and-drag the bearing pointer also.

Sorry, but I don't know about the Typ IX. Someone around here will, though.

H.sie's and Stiebler's patchers are good, and I think Hitman's optics gives you the most historically correct scopes - FoV, power, and reticles. It doesn't match the movie, but it does match existing WW@ optics.

Best single addition for realism, IMO, is voice command. Download sh3speech here: http://knepfler.com/shSpeech/. It takes a bit of cutting and fitting to adapt it to whatever GUI you are using, but the basic commands work right out of the box. Get a cheapo headset for under $20 from the Shack, and you're in business. WW2 subs were not controlled by a keyboard. The CO gave orders and the crew carried them out. sh3speech let's you run SH3 that way, and it adds a whole new dimension of immersion.

"Ahead one-third. Periscope depth."
"Jawohl, Herr Kaleun."

Or, if you're fluent enough, you can give all your commands von Deutch.

Which OS are you using? Will SH3 Speech work on Windows 7 64 bit and running the Conus widescreen mod?

Dronston
10-04-13, 03:46 PM
http://s18.postimg.org/vs15scgzt/soanr.png

here is the what I am talking about. clicking it does nothing.
can I operate the hydrophone or not?

Press H and you go to the hydrohone or use right mouse click on the icon in left bottom.
Also, if you press F1 you will see some similar commands. Good luck.

BigWalleye
10-04-13, 04:04 PM
Sorry, Grotesque, I didn't realize. You have to go to the hydrophone station, not look into the hydrophone room. Press the "H" key from in the command room (or just about anywhere, I think). You will get a full screen of the hydrophone - wheel at the bottom, bearing dial above, and a digital bearing readout to upper right. Click on THAT bearing dial to rotate bearing. (I thought you were trying to rotate the WHEEL. Uff da!)

Dronston, sh3speech will work with any version of Windows that runs SH3, and it uses the built-in speech rec of Win7, so there's nothing to add. Using sh3speech out of the box with CONUS' widescreen mod will put the mouseclick commands in the wrong place. You'll have to adjust those. I use Rubini's widescreen mod and setting it up to work with the GUI and order bar I use and to add pet phrases ("Ell Eye, take her to periscope depth.") took about two evenings' work. But it's not rocket science, and not too much work. And, as I mentioned above, sh3speech will execute all keyboard commands perfectly right out of the box. That's enough to get you started and let you decide whether you want to do the work of customizing the rest.

desirableroasted
10-04-13, 04:08 PM
If you right click on the hydroman, you will find yourself sitting in his seat.... from there I believe the wheel can be dialed. I haven't done so in forever.

Dronston
10-05-13, 05:39 AM
Dronston, sh3speech will work with any version of Windows that runs SH3, and it uses the built-in speech rec of Win7, so there's nothing to add. Using sh3speech out of the box with CONUS' widescreen mod will put the mouseclick commands in the wrong place. You'll have to adjust those. I use Rubini's widescreen mod and setting it up to work with the GUI and order bar I use and to add pet phrases ("Ell Eye, take her to periscope depth.") took about two evenings' work. But it's not rocket science, and not too much work. And, as I mentioned above, sh3speech will execute all keyboard commands perfectly right out of the box. That's enough to get you started and let you decide whether you want to do the work of customizing the rest.

Thx for your reaction but I can't get it to work at all. I ran the SH3speech installer. Activated GWX speech with JSGME, changed the setting in the press_to_talk file to "open mike" (and yes checked if my mic was working), started the speech engine with the GWX shortcut and started the game. Nothing happens, no response to any command.
I did notice that the speechengine running in the DOS box keeps restarting.

Any more ideas?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vmgcox.jpg

I use the Dutch language, "er is een uitzondering opgetreden" is about an exception. I also saw that on my system the speech recognition system is disabled because of the language setting of my system, could this be the problem?

Pisces
10-05-13, 05:48 AM
Good chance, Microsoft requires the OS language to be the same as one of the speech recognition engine languages available. Since there isn't a dutch speech recognition engine available, Microsoft Speech is disabled.

You would need Windows Vista/7 Ultimate or Enterprise, to be able to switch languagepacks, and then be able to use the english speech (or German maybe) recognition engine.

Dronston
10-05-13, 06:02 AM
Good chance, Microsoft requires the OS language to be the same as one of the speech recognition engine languages available. Since there isn't a dutch speech recognition engine available, Microsoft Speech is disabled.

You would need Windows Vista/7 Ultimate or Enterprise, to be able to switch languagepacks, and then be able to use the english speech (or German maybe) recognition engine.

Hmmm, I knew I shouldn't have bought home premium...thanks

BigWalleye
10-05-13, 06:56 AM
Sorry, Dronston. Being your typical monolingual American, I never considered the language issue. May have led you on a wild goose chase! Apparent that your Win7 speech rec is using English and your OS is using Dutch. I don't know how to resolve the incompatibility. Anybody know a work-around?

Dronston
10-05-13, 07:08 AM
Sorry, Dronston. Being your typical monolingual American, I never considered the language issue. May have led you on a wild goose chase! Apparent that your Win7 speech rec is using English and your OS is using Dutch. I don't know how to resolve the incompatibility. Anybody know a work-around?

lol no problem. It seems I cannot upgrade my win 7 HP to other language packs but maybe there is a speech engine add on.
I will first try the speech engine on my XP laptop which has the Warship mod installed and is also running in standard 4:3.

BigWalleye
10-05-13, 07:36 AM
Hope you can get it to work and give it a try. If you get it to work and like it, please post. Seems not many people know about this mod, so I try to spread the word.

Good luck and Good hunting!

Dronston
10-05-13, 12:29 PM
Hope you can get it to work and give it a try. If you get it to work and like it, please post. Seems not many people know about this mod, so I try to spread the word.

Good luck and Good hunting!

Continued in a more appropriate thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132228

Grotesque
10-06-13, 01:52 AM
Thank everybody for the help!

No comments about the periscope in typ IX? :hmmm: