PDA

View Full Version : GWX Campaign Issue

Kimboaticus
09-17-13, 09:53 PM
Hi Folks,

New to the forum so please bear with me. I have SH3 through steam and I had a career already started when I installed GWX 3.0. The last save I had before installing GWX was after a patrol so I should have been starting the next patrol from there. When I would load that save however, it would pop up saying the base was changed to Kiel and I have to click ok. After that, it would load and I was located in the Gulf of Guinea which is not Wilhelmshaven where I figured I should be, nor Kiel which the game was telling me I was relocated to. So, in an attempt to troubleshoot, I decided to load up a save that was on patrol. Now it just CTD every time. Sometimes I get as far as the splash screen saying "Not so long ago..." but usually it crashes before that. One thing I notice is that during the load, the orders on that screen shows a starting location of 0 by 0 which would put me back in the Gulf of Guinea rather than off the Irish coast which is where the save was done. Not sure what to do at this point. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

PS, There are no Mods loaded (other than GWX itself)

VONHARRIS
09-17-13, 11:12 PM
It looks like that your current career is corrupted.

Try starting a new one. There shouldn't be a problem.
Gute Jadg.

Kimboaticus
09-17-13, 11:39 PM
Yeah I've tried to start a new career but it does a CTD too. Annoying.

Sailor Steve
09-18-13, 08:49 AM
I'm no expert, but one of possible causes is the game searching for files that aren't there. With things like sound files it doesn't matter, but if there's part of a ship file missing and the campaign is looking for it, that could certainly cause a crash. Since it's crashing before it finishes loading the cause is probably something along those lines. I don't know how to fix it beyond re-installing the whole game.

Sorry.

BigWalleye
09-18-13, 11:30 AM
Is GWX3.0 compatible with the Steam game?

Avox
09-18-13, 12:50 PM
Is GWX3.0 compatible with the Steam game?

Yes.
You just need to re-direct the installer to your Steam install (something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Silent Hunter 3).

Madox58
09-18-13, 01:09 PM
Remember that GWX should be installed to a CLEAN SH3.
No guarantees that campaigns before install will work.
(That means they probably won't)
I'd delete the whole blah blah blah \documents\SH3 folder.

SnipersHunter
09-18-13, 01:28 PM
Try the 4 GB Patch

Jimbuna
09-18-13, 02:25 PM
Remember that GWX should be installed to a CLEAN SH3.
No guarantees that campaigns before install will work.
(That means they probably won't)
I'd delete the whole blah blah blah \documents\SH3 folder.

Delete SH3 and the MyDocs folder then clean the registry files.

Kimboaticus
09-18-13, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have installed the 4GB patch already to no avail. I was hoping not to have to clear out the campaign files because I was doing good but oh well. Strange though that the problem would persist with a new career though. You would think that if you aren't using the pre-gwx files then it shouldn't care. Strange too that it worked fine when loading a save that was before a mission, except for the part about being relocated to Lat 0 Long 0. That's just freaky.

Pisces
09-19-13, 09:10 AM
... Strange though that the problem would persist with a new career though. You would think that if you aren't using the pre-gwx files then it shouldn't care. ...You had already started the campaign with a commander savegame profile for stock SH3. GWX 3 changes the campaign in a big way. So if you start GWX3 with a campaign set for a stockSH3 commander profile it doesn't get what it expects. So CTDs and other weird behaviour is actually quite expectable.

It is true that you can change some mods when you have returned after a patrol. But it is not a given that this can be done for all mods, and expect them to work. And GWX3 is just a little bit too big of a difference compared to stock.