PDA

View Full Version : Mid '41 So should I jump to a Type IX?

Radian
09-10-13, 01:13 PM
So in my campaign, I'm about to start patrol 15. It's late July 1941. Should I stick with my VIIc or jump to a type IX knowing there will be nice targets across the Atlantic soon?

I've not used a type IX yet. I like the thought of the larger torpedo loadout. But I worry about the increased crash dive times.

It's still only 1941 and I'm already stressed over aircraft. I don't even bother trying to man the flak gun. Once I get the alarm I hit the "C" key immediately. Then about 10 seconds later I crank the rudder hard one way or the other....

So far no plane attacks have really been a threat. But if the Type IX takes much longer to dive. Then it might become a problem....

So what is the opinion of the experts?

Radian

RConch
09-10-13, 01:52 PM
No experts here. You will be killed either way probably. The dive times counts for me with a Type VII. The glory in the Golden West will fade very quickly.

sublynx
09-10-13, 02:20 PM
With a type IX you will get lots of patrol grids without the air menace and you will spend more time in quieter areas = better chance of staying alive longer.

In actual combat situation I hate the type IX. I feel like I'm in a whale that just can't be always being found out visually, by ASDIC, hydrophone and depth charges. However I'm pretty sure that's just me and some bad initial experiences. In the game reality the difference compared to type VII is probably small and you should just take the IX with the long mid-Atlantic patrols with lots of time outside the range of aircraft.

If you want play in a more historical way you would probably not have a choice. Your commanders would probably just order you a boat.

flag4
09-10-13, 04:02 PM
Consider: a Type IX or The Eastern Front?

U1260
09-10-13, 05:54 PM
If it's July 1941 take the Type IX down to Freetown.:arrgh!:

Aktungbby
09-10-13, 06:33 PM
So in my campaign, I'm about to start patrol 15. It's late July 1941. Should I stick with my VIIc or jump to a type IX knowing there will be nice targets across the Atlantic soon?

I've not used a type IX yet. I like the thought of the larger torpedo loadout. But I worry about the increased crash dive times.

It's still only 1941 and I'm already stressed over aircraft. I don't even bother trying to man the flak gun. Once I get the alarm I hit the "C" key immediately. Then about 10 seconds later I crank the rudder hard one way or the other....

So far no plane attacks have really been a threat. But if the Type IX takes much longer to dive. Then it might become a problem....

So what is the opinion of the experts?

Radian
Also consider staying 'heavy' at all times: at 6 or 7 meters to facilitate your crash dives:arrgh!:

Tupolev
09-12-13, 03:35 PM
I'm with sublynx on this one...

Granted I've only taken out a IX on 4 or 5 patrols now, I always feel ungainly and awkward in it. Not sure if the turning radius is that much larger than the VII or not but it just feels like it. Then again that could just been the broad deck I see from the Turm...

That said, its range is great. I do enjoy taking long 100ish day patrols in them. I only have to traverse the Biscay twice instead of the several times for the shorter patrols.

I've done some checking on Uboat.net as well; seems the VIIs made a few ventures to the Caribbean too. With the help of the Milch Cows they made quite a few patrols far west....

T

Rammstein0991
09-18-13, 12:23 AM
Properly used the IX can be much more of a threat than the VII, I mean part of the reason it was designed was to be a convoy stalker, you see this in its longer range and larger torpedo stores.

In the end its all up to personal preference, so you might wanna play a bit of both if you're not sure.