PDA

View Full Version : Advice for an Old Salt Returning to SHIII?

desirableroasted
09-07-13, 11:33 PM
Hey fellow salts....

I am returning to the game after a couple of years away... and whoa did I embarrass myself in the stock game Naval Academy just now!

Just a little rusty...

Anyway, I used to run SHIII with GWX and SH3 Commander, and usually a few minor mods.

Just wondering:

1) I don't see anything particularly "new and shiny" from what I have read, but a lot can happen in two years. Any must-have mods or fixes? I am particularly interested in must-have GUIs.

2) Are we still dying like flies in 43-44? I am bound and determined, before I forever leave this game, to take a career through to 45 in GWX,

Finally, I see some familiar names here, and some new ones. Glad to be in your company.

sublynx
09-08-13, 12:06 AM
Welcome back :salute:

1. I don't think much has happened in the GUI field for some time. U-HAHD looks stunning but is incomplete yet. If you like U-boat history try JFO (Just Follow Orders) mod. That mod can totally change the way one plays SH3 - the mod gives you the most important orders that BdU actually gave at the historical dates too. Then it's up to you if you decide to follow them.

2. I think 43-44 is even worse now as Rubini and Stiebler have modded air torpedoes (FIDO) into the game and this means the aircraft start dropping homing torpedoes on you after some date in 1943.

There are a lot of exciting projects around too and I'm pretty sure the wolfpack action that we now have with H.sie's hardcode fixes get even better after the recent breakthrough on .act files by backer.

desirableroasted
09-08-13, 01:32 AM
Many thanks, Sublynx. Just that alone is enough to make me start digging. Had no idea about the h.sie stuff.

Keep it coming, fellow boaters.

Jimbuna
09-08-13, 05:28 AM
You should find most everything in the downloads section.

Welcome back to the surface Kaleun :salute:

flag4
09-08-13, 06:44 AM
welcome back...it always makes me smile when people drift back after a couple of years...there must be something in the mix!:salute:

Tango589
09-08-13, 07:17 AM
BE MORE AGGRESIVE!!:arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
09-08-13, 07:48 AM
There's a name I remember! Welcome home, DR! :sunny:

jaxa
09-08-13, 12:40 PM
GWX + SH3Commander is a solid base for playing. I strongly recommend you to install h.sie's V16B1 patch over it, it gives your game many new mods like wolfpack mod for instance. Now you can install other goodies for better graphics, real war conditions and other features making this game superb:
GWX - 20km Atmosphere (Unofficial Mod)
Foam 512x512
New_clearsky_clouds
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
SH4StyleFlags_GWX
Sobers 3D waves
Sub Image mod
TheDarkWraith_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_4_SH3
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
WAC4.1 SubPen_animated_18.02.2010
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
Waterstream+Exhaust Combi - Single Exhaust for TypeII
Wooden_Lifeboats_Mod_1.1
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Rbs10-enhancedoilexplosion
GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V6
Merchant_Fleet_Mod_3.2
Unofficial_rockets_fix_GWX3.0
TMTv2+ThomsensShips v4.4 for GWX3+Xtra ships
MFM3.2 displacement correction mod.

Instead of GWX 20km Atmosphere environmental you can try MEP v4.2 or SH-5 Water for GWX 3.

If you wanna try new GUI you can choose from these:
MaGUI Final, OLC Gold MkIId, Hitman GUI, Rafael DSK GUI, ACM-GUI Reloaded - h.sie's Edition V1.15 and hsGUI v3.1. The most popular is probably MaGUI Final now.

SH3&GWX is like wine, the older the better.
Good hunting Kaleun!

desirableroasted
09-10-13, 02:41 PM
Thank you all! And thanks for the comprehensive rundown, Jaxa.

jaxa
09-11-13, 02:03 AM
You are welcome :)

Aktungbby
09-11-13, 10:02 AM
Hey fellow salts....

I am returning to the game after a couple of years away... and whoa did I embarrass myself in the stock game Naval Academy just now!

Just a little rusty...

Anyway, I used to run SHIII with GWX and SH3 Commander, and usually a few minor mods.

Just wondering:

1) I don't see anything particularly "new and shiny" from what I have read, but a lot can happen in two years. Any must-have mods or fixes? I am particularly interested in must-have GUIs.

2) Are we still dying like flies in 43-44? I am bound and determined, before I forever leave this game, to take a career through to 45 in GWX,

Finally, I see some familiar names here, and some new ones. Glad to be in your company.
Welcome back; keep your snorkel up and decks awash in '44:arrgh!:

-SWCowboy.
09-12-13, 06:12 AM
Considering doing the same, myself. Looks like I have a lot of downloading to do.

Damn storms out here occassionally knock out my internet, playing War Thunder without a connection is next to impossible.

Rammstein0991
09-18-13, 12:16 AM
My advice is simple, grids AM 51 AM 52 and AM 02 are where you wanna go if you want to find kills w/o having to look all over the freaking atlantic >.< lol

majestic23
09-18-13, 09:40 AM
I'd recommend MaGui http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166320