PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Pisces III rescue

Herr-Berbunch
08-30-13, 07:30 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23862359

Forty years ago two British sailors plunged almost 1,600ft into an abyss, 150 miles off Ireland, in a deep-sea submersible. Trapped in a 6ft-diameter steel ball for three days, the men had only 12 minutes of oxygen left when they were finally rescued. Some submariner jobs are better than others, theirs doesn't sound too appealing. :o

Glad they made it.

Platapus
08-30-13, 09:22 AM
I would think it should be SOP to have full tanks before every mission. :yep:

If I were on that crew, I would insist on it.

Herr-Berbunch
08-30-13, 09:27 AM

Luckily they did on this one, but you don't normally expect to be down for so long.

TLAM Strike
08-30-13, 11:33 AM
Didn't know this story, there are a lot of these small stories from cold war subs that get glossed over by the big events.

Thanks for sharing.

If I were on that crew, I would insist on it.
Well these guys were working for a commercial interest and not the Navy so I'm not surprised there would be someone trying to pinch a penny on O2 tanks.

Jimbuna
08-30-13, 11:38 AM
Was reading the BBC website on this just ten minutes ago....must have been nerve wracking.

Platapus
08-30-13, 01:27 PM
We used to have similar discussions when I was a scuba diver. I always dived with a full tank, despite the additional costs. Many other divers didn't.

My rational was that I wanted as much of the gas that would prevent me from dying on me for every dive. :up: And that was for a paltry depth of recreational diving of 130 feet.

But it was a good point about expense. Filling the tanks for the type of air replenishment system used in the submersible does have a significant cost. O2 ain't air. :nope: