PDA

View Full Version : The 4-gig patch

c13Garrison
08-29-13, 09:39 PM
So, this is the 4-gig patch.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2889

However, in the commentary that goes along with it it seems to imply that it is only for XP and not Win7, and there also seemed to have been a great deal of trouble installing it.

Does it help a 7 machine?

MACHINE
64bit Win7
3.1gig dual core
8.192 gig ram
Radeon HD 5450 4.095 gb

SOUP
1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
LST_TMO_v2
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
Donation_Narwhal _v185_TMO
Torpedoupdate1

Sailor Steve
08-29-13, 10:38 PM
Other way around. The 4-gig patch is for 64-bit systems. It won't work on XP 32-bit. There is a 3-gig switch for XP. Your Win-7 is what it was designed for. :sunny:

c13Garrison
08-29-13, 10:48 PM
Ah! Capital. So I just unzip it to the SH4 folder, or does it have a smart install? There were plenty of comments under the download link, almost all questions and few answers- unless there's a different thread I havn't found.

Sailor Steve
08-29-13, 10:51 PM
I have no clue. My computer is an eight-year-old 32-bit single-core dinosaur.

Bubblehead1980
08-30-13, 12:29 AM
Ah! Capital. So I just unzip it to the SH4 folder, or does it have a smart install? There were plenty of comments under the download link, almost all questions and few answers- unless there's a different thread I havn't found.

Just unzip, then move the patch to the SH 4 folder.Then click on it, itll instal itself, just make sure its directed to SH, sometimes itll give some weird destination.

fred8615
08-30-13, 09:10 AM
FWIW, I'm using it with Win 8 64 bit with no problems, so it seems to work with 8 too.

Scurvy Dawg
08-30-13, 10:56 AM
Interesting! So what sort of difference does this make to allowing more RAM to be used? Less lag when there are lots of ships about and your time warping? Higher timewarp speeds?

c13Garrison
08-30-13, 11:36 AM
Not trying to interrupt you Scurvy, forgive the apparent butting in! :yep:

Just to state, I unzipped it to the SH4 folder, and it said it was installed correctly, so I assume its working- however I havn't noticed a difference yet. We'll see how it performs.

It did Not affect the size of the saved games I could load. I had NO idea the saves were so huge. The biggest save I can successfully load is 2050 MB, before and after the patch.

HertogJan
08-30-13, 11:48 AM
Just to state, I unzipped it to the SH4 folder, and it said it was installed correctly, so I assume its working- however I havn't noticed a difference yet. We'll see how it performs.

Its just that, your rigg performance will increase, you can set texures much higher if you want to, or have a lot of action on your screen without the system getting overloaded and CTD.

It did Not affect the size of the saved games I could load. I had NO idea the saves were so huge. The biggest save I can successfully load is 2050 MB, before and after the patch.

Nor did I, I'm playing this game behind a laptop and want to keep saves as 'simple' as possible.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your CTD's are a thing of the past. :salute:

Caustic
08-30-13, 01:48 PM
Interesting! So what sort of difference does this make to allowing more RAM to be used? Less lag when there are lots of ships about and your time warping? Higher timewarp speeds?
Without using this patch or "Large Address Aware", which is another program. My game would have missing textures and random glitches/crashes; due to insufficient ram and I have a 16gb RAM system.

c13Garrison
09-01-13, 03:56 PM
Just an fyi, the 4gig patch has contributed enormously to sywhy did you do that stem stability. I've been able to maneuver in complex situations with near zero lag or hesitation. I heartily recommend it as nearly a requirement for the game.

ZAGOR64BZ
09-02-13, 10:53 AM
I have the steam version of SH4 1.5 ; it won't install:say that I have an "unknown" version of sh4.exe.
Any suggestion?

BigWalleye
09-02-13, 11:28 AM
One of the unadvertised features of Steam!

Caustic
09-02-13, 07:35 PM
I have the steam version of SH4 1.5 ; it won't install:say that I have an "unknown" version of sh4.exe.
Any suggestion?
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Use this program, select the sh4.exe and apply. Works good with the Steam version of the game.

ZAGOR64BZ
09-04-13, 09:16 AM
Thank you man.

Scurvy
09-04-13, 10:16 PM
Will this patch work if I've already got a mod (RFB 2.0) installed?

HertogJan
09-05-13, 02:20 AM
Yes, I don't see why not.

This (on 64bit computers) allows the use of the 4th gig RAM, its got nothing to do with game mods in that respect.

See it as a 4 lane data highway but the 4th lane has not bein opend for traffic yet, with this patch it is and a lot more data can run through it.

Bilge_Rat
09-05-13, 04:19 PM
I have used it on my system which is win 7 64 bit for about 1-1/12 years.

I have not noticed much of a difference, but most systems have no trouble running the game at max settings.

JoeCorrado
09-08-13, 11:08 PM
I had been running SH4 with various MODS on my Win7 (64) system for at least two years with never a problem. Suddenly for no apparent reason (other than removing MODS) the game went stupid. Would load and play everything (U-boat missions, Quick missions, Single Patrols) but would CTD every time I tried to start a new American Career.

UN-installed/RE-Installed twice- no luck. Even running a fresh install of 1.5 and no mods at all I had the same issue.

Saw this thread and figured "What the heck. I have 4 gigs of RAM, why not give it a shot?" - This little fix solved the problem.

I was quite surprised, but I was even more pleased. :up:

Webster
09-09-13, 11:09 AM
I had been running SH4 with various MODS on my Win7 (64) system for at least two years with never a problem. Suddenly for no apparent reason (other than removing MODS) the game went stupid. Would load and play everything (U-boat missions, Quick missions, Single Patrols) but would CTD every time I tried to start a new American Career.

UN-installed/RE-Installed twice- no luck. Even running a fresh install of 1.5 and no mods at all I had the same issue.

Saw this thread and figured "What the heck. I have 4 gigs of RAM, why not give it a shot?" - This little fix solved the problem.

I was quite surprised, but I was even more pleased. :up:

based on what you described it sounds like some of your ram went bad and caused your issue because these things don't just "happen". you either do or don't have enough ram so something caused you to "lose" some of the ram you had before. that said I don't think its anything more then one of the chips went bad on a stick of ram you have.