PDA

View Full Version : About to give up on SH4 Gold

Capt_Morgan
08-29-13, 02:28 AM
Except for the odd RARE multiplayer game..

I have had it trying to see ships on the map. Does anyone know what file these icon appearing so I can make them see-able?

http://sh4.starfire3d.com/pics/ships.jpg

---

irish1958
08-29-13, 08:42 AM
I suggest you alter your video card settings.

HertogJan
08-29-13, 09:47 AM
Don't quite understand the question but this looks like the stock game to me.

You can only 'see' ships on the Nav.map when your crew see's the ship(s) otherwise its just a contact report given to you by..... someone :O: to make it easier to find targets.

When you have contact reports turned on in the game options you'll see those markers popup for a short time on the Nav.Map (but only as contact report), zooming in on them will not show you the vessel.

When you click on that icon you'll get a message saying something like:
Merchant, heading S, medium speed. Draw a line from the vessel down south and if you're close enough calculate a intercept course.

PS_ The big square things are convoy's... the bigger the square the larger the convoy :rock:.

Capt_Morgan
08-30-13, 03:45 AM
I figured it this is much better, you can see the contacts now...

http://sh4.starfire3d.com/pics/ships_good.jpg

Webster
08-30-13, 07:55 AM
I figured it this is much better, you can see the contacts now...

so what was it?

Capt_Morgan
08-30-13, 04:32 PM
so what was it?

I Modified the DDS files in \Data\Menu\Gui\Units
Modified \Data\Terrain\Pal\gradient.tga
to darker colours

---

in_vino_vomitus
08-30-13, 04:40 PM
so, if I understand this - you have a large convoy, about 5000 yards ahead of you and you can't eyeball them, despite their being on the chart?

Capt_Morgan
08-30-13, 06:47 PM
so, if I understand this - you have a large convoy, about 5000 yards ahead of you and you can't eyeball them, despite their being on the chart?

Not everyone has young eyes....your time will come (if the world last that long)
And..ask me if I care what you think of my eyesight.

Nuff Said..

cdrsubron7
08-30-13, 07:42 PM
US Chart Color Mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=87)

The above mod might help you out. It changes the background color of the maps for those who might need some help seeing things that appear on the map.

Rockin Robbins
08-30-13, 09:46 PM
Looks like you done good Capt Morgan! Made that blasted radar work MUCH better. Did the job at sea too!

in_vino_vomitus
08-31-13, 02:27 AM
Not everyone has young eyes....your time will come (if the world last that long)

Nuff Said..

Your eyes may be better than mine - I'm pretty old - in any case it seems like I misunderstood. I thought the ships were showing up on the chart, but not actually appearing in the game - That's what I was trying to clarify with my question. I certainly wasn't having a dig at your eyes.

Apologies for the misunderstanding in any case

merc4ulfate
08-31-13, 01:17 PM
Skippers didn't have contact reports showing up on a digital chart so I turn contact reports off

Rockin Robbins
08-31-13, 03:07 PM
Skippers didn't have contact reports showing up on a digital chart so I turn contact reports off Skippers had crew members who interpreted contact reports and put them on the plot and that is what contact reports replicate. What do you think? They just visualized the longitude and latitude in their heads and did some quick mental trig to see if the intercept was doable?

Heck no! They looked at their plot, where the contact was indicated and decided just like we do whether it was worth it to intercept or not. I don't understand statements that try to trivialize a game feature just because it is on a digital game instead of a piece of paper. There's no validity to this nonsense at all.

Try this one on for size: skippers didn't have computer mice so I won't use my mouse while playing SH4. It's a statement with identical (in)validity.

Webster
09-02-13, 11:15 AM

Nuff Said..

a bit uncalled for there sir, :hmmm:

I think he was honestly trying to understand what the problem is that you were having if it was seeing on the chart or seeing them with the visual surface views.