PDA

View Full Version : Dirty mind!

Scurvy Dawg
08-27-13, 03:30 PM
Got a message from SubPac the other day that made me LOL

"JAPANESE FORCES HAVE JUST INVADED JAVA X COFFEE RATIONING BEGINS TOMORROW X JUST BE HAPPY THEY DON'T INVADE VIRGINIA X"

Although the rationing of virgins wasn't the implication of the message and tobacco was........(well according to a friend at work anyway).....

Interesing that in the UK, tobacco had to be imported by the merchant navy across the Atlantic- mariners died so that the people of the UK could slowly kill themselves.....the irony!

:hmm2:

CalolinaCoyote
08-28-13, 04:51 PM
I don't see how that effects us, since we can't smoke in the boats.:shifty:

Scurvy Dawg
08-29-13, 06:18 PM
Actually smoking in WW2 American subs all depended on your CO and XO. Many (most) were ok with smoking even when submerged. Of course after awhile it was impossible to light a match due to lack of oxygen.

http://www.ussflierproject.com/tags/smoking-on-submarines/

I vaguely remember reading about Dick O'Kane and how the coolest CO's at the periscope would nonchalantly smoke a cigarette to make the crew (who couldnt see the destroyers bearing down) believe everything was ok and normal....

CalolinaCoyote
08-29-13, 08:57 PM
I didn't know that, I figured with the diesel fuel and such.

Sailor Steve
08-29-13, 10:49 PM
I didn't know that, I figured with the diesel fuel and such.
Diesel fuel is relatively inflammable. It will burn but its flashpoint is well over 100°F.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/flash-point-fuels-d_937.html

Of course the temperature of a lit cigarette can reach well over 1000°F, so hopefully there isn't too much diesel vapor about. :sunny:

Aramike
08-30-13, 01:04 AM
Got a message from SubPac the other day that made me LOL

"JAPANESE FORCES HAVE JUST INVADED JAVA X COFFEE RATIONING BEGINS TOMORROW X JUST BE HAPPY THEY DON'T INVADE VIRGINIA X"

Although the rationing of virgins wasn't the implication of the message and tobacco was........(well according to a friend at work anyway).....

Interesing that in the UK, tobacco had to be imported by the merchant navy across the Atlantic- mariners died so that the people of the UK could slowly kill themselves.....the irony!

:hmm2:Oh that's funny. Never noticed that one.

(If you're not laughing, read it again) :cool: