PDA

View Full Version : 4 GB Patch?

Delta Wolf
08-17-13, 07:21 AM
Hey Guys :salute:

So i have been reading a few threads about the SH3 4gb patch, i don't have any issues when i play SH3 with GWX a few mods + SH3 commander but i just wanted to know if this is something i should install? or is it more meant for low end systems?

Thanks Guys

Edit: I do have 64 bit OS and 8GB Ram

Uboat177
08-17-13, 09:48 AM
I think this game, without the patch, is limited to 2gb. It's 2005 32bit software.

If you apply that patch on 64 bit OS with 4 GB, 8 GB etc, it lets SH3 access more memory and decreases loading times. This might be useful if you are running Merchant fleet mod or something heavy.

One way to find out is to time how long it takes to load a campaign game before and after the patch. I have the patch installed, no issues, with GWX + MFM + other small mods and it takes 2 minutes and 11 seconds to load a campaign.

Fubar2Niner
08-17-13, 10:48 AM

So i have been reading a few threads about the SH3 4gb patch, i don't have any issues when i play SH3 with GWX a few mods + SH3 commander but i just wanted to know if this is something i should install? or is it more meant for low end systems?

Thanks Guys

It is well worth installing the 4gb patch. When your install gets really mod heavy you may well start to suffer CTD's without it. I have a upper to high end rig and I can't run my install without it.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

CTU_Clay
08-17-13, 11:46 AM
It is well worth installing the 4gb patch. When your install gets really mod heavy you may well start to suffer CTD's without it. I have a upper to high end rig and I can't run my install without it.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit system with 3 GB ram. Is this 4gb patch worthy for me to install?

Clay

Uboat177
08-17-13, 02:31 PM
Hello,

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit system with 3 GB ram. Is this 4gb patch worthy for me to install?

Clay

You need to have at least 4 GB ram and a 64 bit OS.

CTU_Clay
08-17-13, 02:49 PM
Hello,

You need to have at least 4 GB ram and a 64 bit OS.

ok...thanks. just trying to find things out that might help my GWX install.

Jimbuna
08-17-13, 03:03 PM
ok...thanks. just trying to find things out that might help my GWX install.

GWX was designed to run on the same specs as SH3 but may take a little longer to boot up.

It is only when adding additional third party mods that more RAM/4GB patch is beneficial.

Delta Wolf
08-17-13, 03:23 PM
Hey Guys, :salute:

Thanks for the info, Can i ask a few more questions regarding the 4GB patch?.

1, Is the patch ok to use with the Steam version of the game?
2,If yes could someone please point me to a safe place to download the patch?, i have found a download here on Subsim but it does not mention the Steam version?......
Here is the link....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2888

3,Would i need to disable my mods and or do a complete re install of SH3 and GWX etc? or can i just download and install the patch now?
4, Can i install this patch mid career of would i have to start over?
5, Thanks.... you guys rock :subsim:

Jimbuna
08-17-13, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys, :salute:

Thanks for the info, Can i ask a few more questions regarding the 4GB patch?.

1, Is the patch ok to use with the Steam version of the game?
2,If yes could someone please point me to a safe place to download the patch?, i have found a download here on Subsim but it does not mention the Steam version?......
Here is the link....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2888

3,Would i need to disable my mods and or do a complete re install of SH3 and GWX etc? or can i just download and install the patch now?
4, Can i install this patch mid career of would i have to start over?
5, Thanks.... you guys rock :subsim:

1. Yes
2. The link you've posted.
3. Disable all mods then enable the patch...to be sure.
4. Start over.
5. Yes, we do :03:

Delta Wolf
08-17-13, 04:07 PM
1. Yes
4. Start over.

Thank you Jimbuna :up:

Delta Wolf
08-17-13, 04:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Seem to be having an issue when installing the patch, i point the patcher to my SH3 here....

C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SILENT HUNTER 3

But it tells me i have an unknown version?

I have tried again and run as a administrator but no luck, is there a way round this?

Im using the Starforce free patcher, i take it that is the correct one for Steam?

BigWalleye
08-17-13, 05:15 PM
Perhaps someone knowledgeable can post whether there is a version of the 4GB patch for the Steam game?

Uboat177
08-17-13, 07:34 PM
Hello TiberiusXIV,

See if the 4 GB patch from here works. Try again, run as admin + navigate to the Sh3 exe in steam.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

desertstriker
08-17-13, 09:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Seem to be having an issue when installing the patch, i point the patcher to my SH3 here....

C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\SILENT HUNTER 3

But it tells me i have an unknown version?

I have tried again and run as a administrator but no luck, is there a way round this?

Im using the Starforce free patcher, i take it that is the correct one for Steam?
first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode.

Jimbuna
08-18-13, 04:09 AM
first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode.

^ :yep:

Steve Gad
08-18-13, 05:00 AM

Thanks Guys

I doubt it would do any harm. I have 6GB and the Multi-core Turbo Boost - which I need for multi track recording, but unsure of it actually 'does' anything much - and I have the 4GB thing on. Loading times are quite quick, compared to the 8 minutes plus, that some of the crew have reported. As already stated large mods will make loading times slower also. I have around 23 mods running with GWX and Commander and loading from cold start is around 2 minutes, which is OK. Having said that I wouldn't mind waiting longer, as the reward for doing so is enough to make me withstand any amount of hanging around. :up:

Steve Gad
08-18-13, 05:02 AM
1. Yes
4. Start over.

You sure do!!. :up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Delta Wolf
08-18-13, 06:01 AM

Hi guys,

Could someone elaborate a bit on this for me please?, I have right clicked on the SH3 file and tried to edit the file in proprieties but i have not done it right as im getting the same message when i try to run the patcher :hmmm:

Thanks again

BigWalleye
08-18-13, 06:20 AM
If you go to Amazon, you can buy either an unaltered download or a DVD of the SH3 for $10. Either one WILL work with the 4GB patch, and any and all patches, mods, and add-ons you can download. (And, if you use the link at the head of this page, SubSim gets a - small - kickback!) If you use a Staem product, there is no such guarrantee. Steam games all include additional DRM designed for the protection and convenience of the corporate rightsholder, without consideration for the convenience or rights of the purchaser. Consequently, your ability to modify the code you bought can be difficult, may sometimes be impossible, and can never be assumed.

Delta Wolf
08-18-13, 09:48 AM
If you go to Amazon, you can buy either an unaltered download or a DVD of the SH3 for $10. Either one WILL work with the 4GB patch, and any and all patches, mods, and add-ons you can download. (And, if you use the link at the head of this page, SubSim gets a - small - kickback!) If you use a Staem product, there is no such guarrantee. Steam games all include additional DRM designed for the protection and convenience of the corporate rightsholder, without consideration for the convenience or rights of the purchaser. Consequently, your ability to modify the code you bought can be difficult, may sometimes be impossible, and can never be assumed.

Thanks for the advice BigWalleye but im going to try and get SH3 patched with the steam version as it seems other people here have managed to do it. Plus i live in the UK and the download link from amazon is for the US and i am unsure if that would work?

So if desertstriker or Jimbuna could just elaborate a little on "first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode." then that would be awesome.

Thanks again :salute:

Fubar2Niner
08-18-13, 11:35 AM
So if desertstriker or Jimbuna could just elaborate a little on "first you need to edit the permissions of the folder to full permisions/ write control abilities. then you need to atch nin admin mode." then that would be awesome.

Thanks again :salute:

K mate here's what you do:
1 Right click the folder
2 Properties
3 Security
4 Edit
5 Tick both Full Control and Write boxes
6 Apply
7 OK

From memory I think that's pretty much it mate. Good luck :salute:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Jimbuna
08-18-13, 12:37 PM
Cheers Fubar http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

@Tiberius....you should be good to go now matey.

Delta Wolf
08-18-13, 01:32 PM
Just a quick update,

Thanks for all your help gents, but i can't get it to work :nope:
I have followed "Fubar2Niner" instructions, but it will not work.... for some reason i can change any permissions for anyone (Only me that uses the PC) but i can't change permissions of the CREATOR OWNER. (I tick the boxes hit apply but when i go back and check they are just blanked out again)

Not sure if this is a steam issue or maybe its because i have a EU version of the game?

Thing is im only running GWX 3.0 SH3 commander and these mods....

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
Conus' SH3GWXWS 2.3
Lutzow's Officers - SET5
Flags_enlighten

I have not noticed any issues so far, so i hope it stays that way. In the mean time im going to keep an eye out for a normal version.....

Thanks again guys :salute:

Jimbuna
08-18-13, 03:01 PM
Honestly and for what it costs I'd simply click on the Amazon link and purchase the DVD...they are now patched and SF free.

Delta Wolf
08-18-13, 04:10 PM
Honestly and for what it costs I'd simply click on the Amazon link and purchase the DVD...they are now patched and SF free.

Id be happy to pay $20 for a copy of SH3 thing is im from the UK and im unsure if the download link would work, Amazon UK don't have a download version of SH3 nor do they have New DvD copy's.

I will keep looking for a copy. :Kaleun_Binocular:

Jimbuna
08-19-13, 05:29 AM
Id be happy to pay $20 for a copy of SH3 thing is im from the UK and im unsure if the download link would work, Amazon UK don't have a download version of SH3 nor do they have New DvD copy's.

I will keep looking for a copy. :Kaleun_Binocular:
Click on the Amazon link top right of this page then scroll down to the very bottom where you'll find a list of countries, UK is on the far right, click on that and type in 'Silent Hunter 3' and you'll come to this page...the one on the top is what you need.

DO NOT ORDER FROM THE LINK I HAVE POSTED, do it yourself or SubSim will not get a small commission (this commission is at no extra cost to you). The game can be had for less than a fiver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sh3#/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=silent+hunter+3&sprefix=silent+hunter+3%2Caps%2C195&rh=n%3A300435%2Ck%3Asilent+hunter+3

Uboat177
08-19-13, 09:33 AM
Tiberius,

One final try, see if another 4 GB patch, Large Address Aware, works on your game (run as admin).

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Someone had a similar issue, "unknown version", but on SH4 with its 4gb patch on a steam version.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195466

Perhaps installing Steam or games in Program Files (x86) should be avoided, Windows is very protective of that folder.

BigWalleye
08-19-13, 09:42 AM
Steam does seem to pose additional challenges.

Delta Wolf
08-19-13, 01:50 PM
Tiberius,

One final try, see if another 4 GB patch, Large Address Aware, works on your game (run as admin).

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Someone had a similar issue, "unknown version", but on SH4 with its 4gb patch on a steam version.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195466

Perhaps installing Steam or games in Program Files (x86) should be avoided, Windows is very protective of that folder.

Update Guys,

I think it has worked i have some screen shots for you....

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y443/TiberiusXIV/Destop2_zps179c891a.png (http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/TiberiusXIV/media/Destop2_zps179c891a.png.html)

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y443/TiberiusXIV/Destop1_zps9513731e.png (http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/TiberiusXIV/media/Destop1_zps9513731e.png.html)

Is that it? because it didn't really do anything, do i need to add any other files or just the sh3.exe?

The reason i ask is because i have found other exe's in my SH3 file.
There is a testapp.exe, sh3missionEditor.exe, Directx/dxsetup.exe....etc

Thanks guys :salute:

Fubar2Niner
08-19-13, 01:59 PM
^

Just the SH3.exe is all you need mate. Looks like you're good to go. Glad you got it sorted :yep:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Delta Wolf
08-19-13, 02:04 PM
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Just want to say thanks again guys :salute:

BigWalleye
08-19-13, 02:19 PM
Hope this fixed your problem. Good luck and good hunting!

Jimbuna
08-19-13, 03:19 PM
SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

werwulf
08-21-13, 06:43 AM
Anytime I had Steam installed in C:\program files (x86) and Windows in C:\Windows I ran into a lot of permission problems. It is a lot easier in the long run just to put Steam on a big drive that has nothing to do with the OS, or at least that has been my experience. Once you get Steam off the system drive Windows doesn't care about it much. If you only have 1 drive, changing the path so that Steam is out of C:\Program Files (x86) would probably help reduce permission hassles as well.

Wassail! :salute:

sik1977
02-18-15, 11:45 AM
1. Yes
4. Start over.

Hi,

I was looking to try the 4Gb patch, but don't want to abandon my current careers and start over just yet. So, just wanted to know if I can get away with installing the 4GB patch and not losing my existing careers. Afterall it should only effect the executable?!! no?!!

Thanks.

danasan
02-18-15, 12:53 PM
Hi,

I was looking to try the 4Gb patch, but don't want to abandon my current careers and start over just yet. So, just wanted to know if I can get away with installing the 4GB patch and not losing my existing careers. Afterall it should only effect the executable?!! no?!!

Thanks.

1. Copy your SH3.exe and put that elsewhere. ( I am sure the patch creates a backup itself, but who knows... ).
2. Patch the .exe and try it out, it should only effect the .exe ( btw: are you having the DVD - version? ).
3. You are fine or not...
4. If you are not, put back your backup file...

sik1977
02-18-15, 02:28 PM
1. Copy your SH3.exe and put that elsewhere. ( I am sure the patch creates a backup itself, but who knows... ).
2. Patch the .exe and try it out, it should only effect the .exe ( btw: are you having the DVD - version? ).
3. You are fine or not...
4. If you are not, put back your backup file...

Thank you Danasan... you are such a huge help mate... my eternal gratitude...

Edit: I have the original DVD version from when the game was released 10 years ago... patched and all of course... don't have steam on my PC anyway.

sik1977
02-19-15, 09:12 AM
The 4GB patch seems to have been applied fine, and game is working fine. The loading has marginally improved, though I am thinking of moving the Sh3 install to my SSD.

But, other than checking the Ram in use by a program in the processes tab, is there a way to check if SH3 is capable of using the 4GB, or if the patch is really doing anything different than before? I mean, the most amount of Ram i could see being used in the process tab for SH3 was 1.9GB or so during my last patrol. Perhaps that's how much it needed anyway, but just wondering.

danasan
02-19-15, 09:49 AM
Hi again!

As soon as you throw something like this in, (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170741) you'll know exactly.

Or running a Supermod like CCoM or WAC or all the other ones, which are more RAM damanding than GWX, where the intention was, to run on the same specs as vanilla.

sik1977
02-19-15, 04:27 PM
Hi again!

As soon as you throw something like this in, (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170741) you'll know exactly.

Or running a Supermod like CCoM or WAC or all the other ones, which are more RAM damanding than GWX, where the intention was, to run on the same specs as vanilla.

Yes, I installed the Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2 and finished a patrol with it as well. Everything worked fine. I saw the memory touch 2GB...

The Merchant Fleet Mod does make the game CTD in Museum if you scroll to the bottom of the list of merchants (as soon as you try and press the scroll button below the last merchant on the list, regardless of nation) on any of the nations... not otherwise...

Noobicum4Ever
01-05-20, 01:22 PM
Hello. I really want to play GWX but I have a lot of CTDs and bugs. Please tell me, what 4GB version to install for GWX on win 10. How to set sh3.exe, folder? I have two editions: steam and uplay.

blackswan40
01-05-20, 04:37 PM
Hi Noobicum4Ever this might help Sir

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2633825&postcount=8

Link for 4gig patch

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=2888

Let Me Know how you get on if your still having problems we will try something else theres more than one way to cook a goose