PDA

View Full Version : Hello - from a returning player

werwulf
08-15-13, 12:38 PM
Hi, I just wanted to say hello by making a post in the Forums as instructed in the downloads section. I made a small donation but I guess I will have to wait a day or two before being able to download the proggies that I want.

I am a gamer and I was really into SH3 a couple of years ago and have more or less decided to play again. I have SH4 and SH5 but my plan is to start with SH3 and then work up to the other games.

If I remember correctly, I had the Grey Wolves mod and a few others last time I played. SH3 is a lot of fun! I have a pretty good gaming machine set up and didn't have to tweak much to get the mods I was using to work correctly together.

I don't really have much to say at the moment, after I play for awhile maybe I will make another post. In the meantime, I hope all of you have as much fun playing SH3 as I do. :)

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.
werwulf.

Aktungbby
08-15-13, 12:58 PM
Welcome back; good hunting herr kleun:arrgh!:

VONHARRIS
08-15-13, 12:58 PM
Welcome to Subsim!:salute:

The Bdu needs you out there in the Atlantik.

werwulf
08-15-13, 01:00 PM
Hmm, I didn't realize I had downloaded so many things. Most of them were just repeats of programs or mods that I had already used - up until I had Win7 I used to pretty much re-install my system every three months or so and at the time, I didn't have a way to store stuff that I had already downloaded.

I've got Win7 64bit on my machine now and it is the most stable operating system I have seen from Microsoft so far. This incarnation has been up and running for awhile now, no problems, and I do have storage now for things that I download.

I guess I might be feeling a little guilty for downloading before this and not donating, but I shall make up for that this time, until I feel it is fair. I don't yet know what that amount should be, maybe $50.00? That seems about right to me, but I have a lot of draws on my Paypal account so it may take a little while to get up to speed.

No worries, everything works out properly in the end, that is what I think.

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.
werwulf.

---

Gentlemen, I salute you. Believe it or not, I am actually looking forward to evading the Brit destroyers!

Aktungbby
08-15-13, 01:30 PM
Do not evade...sink one! Or mail a ($5.00 or +) bill to Neal Stevens- Subsim; 5108 Woodville Ln; Pearland TX 77584. Write werwulf on the bill. works for me and assuages der guilt!. :arrgh!:

werwulf
08-15-13, 01:59 PM
You have probably already seen it, but it was this movie that inspired me to play again.

For your viewing enjoyment, Das Boot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iMWb8nEOG4

Wassail.
Snjaruflr.
werwulf.

Delta Wolf
08-15-13, 02:24 PM
You have probably already seen it, but it was this movie that inspired me to play again.

For your viewing enjoyment, Das Boot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iMWb8nEOG4

Wassail.
Snjaruflr.
werwulf.

Yeah i may have seen that film........once or twice :Kaleun_Periskop:
Probably the best war movie ever made :up:
And welcome back.

Jimbuna
08-15-13, 03:10 PM
Welcome back Matey :salute:

werwulf
08-15-13, 04:42 PM
I will tell you the truth, I am getting very pleasantly drunk today, though I prefer to call it "taking off the edge". :)

Tomorrow I take delivery of my Linux box and it should be installed on the network by about 4:00 pm if all goes well. This time when I play SH3 I will have a separate machine to run all the mathematical stuff - go ahead, shoot me - but I really like to make things as realistic as possible (but not for the first couple of hours, I need to be able to see where I miss with torpedoes for the first few hours).

I have actually played SH4 and SH5 for a few minutes, the graphics are nice, but somehow, the "immediacy?" of SH3 keeps drawing me back. I don't know how to explain it, but what I think I do know is that SH3 is an exceptionally good game, and I am very glad that I can play at this, rather than having to actually be a German submariner circa 1943.

I think if there are people in this world that I respect, it is them.

When I can survive a full game on 100% realism (it has not happened yet), I think I will feel that I have accomplished something.

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.
werwulf.

Aktungbby
08-16-13, 01:19 PM
U may drive your uboat drunk... just make sure the mod list iss sober!:arrgh!:

werwulf
08-18-13, 10:09 PM
Slowly, slowly, everything is coming back into focus! I got GWX installed and guess what? I spent a little time checking out Sh4 and Sh5.

I guess I will play Sh4 if I ever want to experience being an Ami sub commander, but I think Sh3 is better for the German side of things.

I like the great graphics of Sh5, but I read somewhere that it is not possible to mod the Steam version to turn it back into a "sub" simulation instead of a "Captain"" simulation. :( I guess I will have to start looking around for a boxed version of that game.

That is Ok I guess, Sh3 has enough going for it to keep me interested for a long time, even after everything is set up perfectly and all the mods are installed. :)

Wow! I was so surprised at all the stuff I have to relearn and remember to get back up to speed in my Type VII! That is what makes Sh3 such a great game! That is my opinion.

I play on 100% realism. The payoff for re-learning and remembering everything is those nice ship explosions! :)

Wassail.

werwulf
08-19-13, 06:35 AM
Well, I've got SH3 set with what I figure is a pretty good mod list. I am using JSGME and SH3 Commander on a GWX base.

So far, I have TMT v2 and ACM v1.1.0 core files and dark files activated. I tried OLC Mark II first, but I could not figure out how to get the slide rule and attack wheel to show, so I switched to another CombiMod.

I have a feeling that things are going to be challenging! I'm not too worried about the plotting side of things much right now, but learning to get a proper range without the use of the stadimeter is going to be a new experience for me! I don't know exactly how it is done with this setup yet, but I am assuming that I am going to have to use the hash marks on the side of the optics.

The stuff in the TDC screen is labelled in German which I think is going to take a bit of getting used to because I don't speak that language at the present time. :)

I could not find the attack map with this configuration, so I guess I will have to do everything on the nav map.

You know what? I don't expect to be sinking many ships for the first few sorties, but that is Ok, eventually the kills will come.

I know I said that I like to play at 100% realism, but I have to draw the line at real navigation for the time being, there is just too much other stuff that is more important to learn right now.

Well, I am off for my first sortie, maybe I will be able to write when I get my first kill. I am going to have a lot of fun playing with my new toys!

:)

Wassail.

BigWalleye
08-19-13, 06:57 AM
100% realism is when you have a navigator who takes the fixes, works up the data, and hands you a little ticket with the noon position on it. It just happens that, in SH3, the navigators are all preternaturally good!:) This is one of the cooler things that are fixed in (heavily modded) SH5, thanks to The Dark Wraith and his digital wizardry. Navigator takes the sight and does the calculation, but his positions are not always correct. That more closely simulates the prototype situation.

But the boat commander should NEVER have to determine to boat's position himself. Anyone who wants to do it for fun, that's cool. But that is NOT realism. (More precisely, that does not attempt to accurately model the prototype task.) You could make a strong case that having a REALLY GOOD navigator is more historically appropriate than not having one at all. (From what I have read, there were more really good navigators than AWOL ones.)

BTW, the slide rule and attack wheel are activated by clicking on the Navigator and Weapons Officer buttons. A small slice of the dial appears at the bottom of the screen and slides up when you mouse on it. This is subtly explained in the documentation, but it took me some searching too.

BTW, BTW, have you tried Hitman's Optics? Based on the research of Hitman (and others), it is apparently the most accurate simulation of the actual optical aids available to German U-boat commanders. Fun, too!

werwulf
08-19-13, 07:21 AM
Thank you for the information BigWalleye! Ok, I am going to reinstall the OLC mod now and see if I can find that stuff. Part of the reason is because I am not sure I could get a proper range with the ACM mod, perhaps it is best to leave that until I get more practice with everything.

What you say about 100% realism makes a lot of sense! Navigation is for navigators!

Finally, in my travels through the downloads section, I found one for voice activated commands. I have a Logitech G35 headset with a microphone that has barely been used, and I think it would be really cool to set things up so I could say "crash dive!" and actually have it happen! I guess that is for the future but maybe it will happen this incarnation.

Thanks again for the information, I have to go on patrol now! In my travels, I will look for Hitman's optics, I'm not quite sure if they are a part of the mods I am using, but I will check.

Wassail! It means something like "to your good health".

BigWalleye
08-19-13, 09:29 AM
Hitman's Optics thread is here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147757

The link doesn't work, so download it from Plissken's server, through this link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147757

Voice command is THE way (for me anyway). You'll find sh3speech here: http://knepfler.com/shSpeech/. You have to do some home cooking to adapt it to the GUI you are using, (an evening or two) but when you say "Torpedo...los!" and off she goes, it's worth it. Of course, SH5 has voice command built in, but you can't add your own favorite expressions like you can with SH3speech. ("Dive her, Max! Schnell!") SH3speech lets you use English or "German", too. The speech rec is set for American English pronunciation, so you have to "phoneticize" the written commands, and a native German-speaker might find the results a bit odd. But it does work in German.

Wassail! (I thought that was a drinking toast! Shows what I know.)

Good luck and good hunting!

werwulf
08-19-13, 09:46 AM
BigWalleye, I must thank you again. First, I installed HSGUI, got the AOBdial and the Attack Dial and the circular sliderule, they were at the bottom just as you said. In addition it has those nice marks on the periscope for getting range and I am pretty sure this is the GUI I will be using for awhile, at least until I read enough to know how to use the ACM stuff.

And "Wassail" is a drinking toast! I use it because I like to buy my friends drinks! I think the original word is Old Anglo Saxon or something, that's why I am not exactly sure of the meaning. :)

I must go on patrol now for awhile, but tomorrow I will explore Hitman's optics and then after that, the speech stuff. Things are actually happening fast, I thought it would take a couple of weeks to find all the good mods, and it has only been a couple of days!

Thanks man, for the information! It would have taken me weeks to find those links on my own. Much appreciated. :)

Wassail!

werwulf
08-19-13, 11:48 AM
I am beginning to remember why I love playing Silent Hunter 3 so much! :yeah:

Atm I am doing the first milk run mission, so the sub is not in any danger. For the past couple of hours I have been on the bridge, just enjoying the sounds of the sea with a little music in the background. Is it just me, or is that not one of the most relaxing sounds in the world, just like those relaxation tapes that some people buy? I don't know why but I find listening to the sea and watching the waves really relaxing. :up:

I've been gaming for a lot of years, so I have a little network set up here. I don't use the Linux boxes while I am gaming, but an old E8500 is on the network, and while I am on the bridge I can use that machine to visit forums, run programs and stuff like that while Silent Hunter 3 is running on the main machine.

I like the setup though it is not necessary. When I was into SH3 last time, I just ran it in a window so that other programs were accessible. But I like this setup because I can run SH3 in full screen on the main machine, just a touch more immersion.

Last time I was into the game, I used Mobo, a lot, and believe it or not that is more or less the reason for the current setup. As well, while I am sailing, there is a lot of time to read the stuff that I need to know to get back up to speed.

I've kind of decided that I am going to keep the mods to a minimum this time and add them slowly.

Basically all I need now is Setkeys, Hitman's Optics, then the programs to get that voice command thing working. Maybe a few more after that, but I have learned to be careful when adding mods. I just read a thread where a guy (Telemon, I think) had a 4 hour real-time successful sortie but ended up losing his savegames. I feel sorry for him but I've had things like that happen myself. :(

In any event, I would just like to say "Thank you" for the warm welcome and the hints and tips I have received. Thank you. It feels great to be back! :salute:

Wassail!

Aktungbby
08-19-13, 11:49 AM
BigWalleye, I must thank you again. First, I installed HSGUI, got the AOBdial and the Attack Dial and the circular sliderule, they were at the bottom just as you said. In addition it has those nice marks on the periscope for getting range and I am pretty sure this is the GUI I will be using for awhile, at least until I read enough to know how to use the ACM stuff.

And "Wassail" is a drinking toast! I use it because I like to buy my friends drinks! I think the original word is Old Anglo Saxon or something, that's why I am not exactly sure of the meaning. :)

I must go on patrol now for awhile, but tomorrow I will explore Hitman's optics and then after that, the speech stuff. Things are actually happening fast, I thought it would take a couple of weeks to find all the good mods, and it has only been a couple of days!

Thanks man, for the information! It would have taken me weeks to find those links on my own. Much appreciated. :)

Wassail!
Wassail is from the old Saxon legal code which among other things originated the jury of one's peers as we know it today. Under 'wassail', when drunk, one could be excused of killing someone, providing of course practical blood-payment was made for the loss. This was a practical anti-feud solution when every shield was needed in the shield wall and every spear at the ready, especially against those heathens from the north " God defend us from the fury of the Northman" who didn't have such a defence, nor needed one. Eric the Red had to flee twice, eventually to Greenland, and if you died sword in hand ... NO problem, Valhalla awaited-ACH: der Valkyrie and...more wassailing-this time in a proper meadhall! Reread your 'Beowulf' for proper grounding and don't judge harshly: they didn't have TV and the water would kill you. On a smaller footnote, a great many weapons, especially swords, are found in rivers and lakes; part of the Saxon code entailed the surrender of the murder or killing implement to the god, often the water, as the 'deodand'. Since this is rather common, the death rate might have been brutish-Wassail mein arsen!!. OOPS "Ful oft gebotedon befe druncne ofer ealo-waege oret-mecgas", ie "Time and again, when the goblets passed and seasond fighters got flushed with beer..." Of course if you are inebriated at the periscope... have a Sober mod list; it helps.

werwulf
08-19-13, 12:04 PM
Roger Aktungbby! Actually, a lot of my ancestors were those heathens from the north, at least on my father's side, and I myself am a little bit into that heathen thing. :arrgh!:

Last time I read Beowulf was more years ago than I care to remember, back in the '70's when I was taking an English course. I will take your advice and read it again, just as soon as I finish the Poetic Edda. :up:

I have a sinking feeling that there are a lot of extremely intelligent people on the Subsim forums - no doubt I am going to have to be using google a lot - but that is fine with me, I got a lot of practice doing that on the War of the Roses forums. :)

Wassail!

Aktungbby
08-19-13, 12:38 PM
Roger Aktungbby! Actually, a lot of my ancestors were those heathens from the north, at least on my father's side, and I myself am a little bit into that heathen thing. :arrgh!:

Last time I read Beowulf was more years ago than I care to remember, back in the '70's when I was taking an English course. I will take your advice and read it again, just as soon as I finish the Poetic Edda. :up:

I have a sinking feeling that there are a lot of extremely intelligent people on the Subsim forums - no doubt I am going to have to be using google a lot - but that is fine with me, I got a lot of practice doing that on the War of the Roses forums. :)

Wassail!
In which case: why, when they dug up the crookback (Dick III) recently, did they not compare to the two young Boys of The Tower for a DNA or at least skull resemblance analysis. Sherlock would be pissed! I know they're in Westminster, thanks to Charles II, but it would clear up several mysteries.:arrgh!:

werwulf
08-19-13, 12:58 PM
Aktungbby, are you teasing me? No problem. I did have to use google and I think I found a reference to what you said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes_in_the_Tower

As to why they did not use DNA testing to verify things, I have no idea; that is not surprising, considering I usually have no idea why Royals do the things they do, anyway. Life is mostly a mystery for me at the best of times.

Have mercy on a tired old man! Thank you. :salute:

Wassail!

Aktungbby
08-19-13, 03:26 PM
In which case, if they were related to the Yorkist King Dick III, then he is the culprit in as much as he had control of the tower; wherein he had already executed his own brother-in-law, Lord Hastings, without trial, who would have had the greatest interest in the Woodville's continued claim to the throne through the older of the princes, with his sister Elizabeth, Edward VI's widow, as dowager Queen during the boy's minority. I also consider that, players all, there must have been a considerable amount of PTSD just watching brothers and fathers getting bumped off before one's own eyes during the dynastic conflict. At least it made ya' a hard man with yer head on a swivel...or the block.!:arrgh!:

werwulf
08-19-13, 04:45 PM
September 2, 1939, 01:15 - U45 departs Wilhelmshaven, first war patrol, decks awash. Wish me luck! :salute:

Wassail.

Aktungbby
08-19-13, 05:09 PM
Ja Herr werwulf viel gluck und keep your 'scope on a swivel!:arrgh!:

werwulf
08-20-13, 04:57 PM
Well, today was a pretty good day. Late yesterday I got Setkeys installed before I called it a night. I think that program is going to be necessary for the voice command thing.

U-45 is somewhere NE of Helgoland, sailing north toward the trench, and it's still September 2, 1939, my first war patrol.

I read the GWX manual as a refresher and found a copy of Hitman's optics for GWX, but I'm not sure it's the best one; I'm going to check out the links that BigWalleye gave me as soon as I finish this post. I have it installed, anyway and so far my mods list for now is GWX with the 16 km vision thing, TMT and Hitman's optics.

After reading TiberiusXIV's thread, I installed the 4GB memory patch into my GWX/Steam install, no problems; I don't need it with my system, but if I ever get heavy into mods it'll probably be worthwhile to have.

I had to return to torpedo school! I'm satisfied that I can calculate range and time to impact when a torp is fired, now it is time to move onto the interesting stuff.

I'll tell you the truth, I am not that good at shooting torpedos, so I always try for as close to a 90 degree shot as possible at fairly short range. It works good enough for the happy time and when I get more experience perhaps I can try some of the more difficult shots.

I remember from before that it's possible to set things so that the moving target crosses the 0 degree mark on the periscope at impact, but you think I can remember how to do that? No way, that's why I have to go back to torpedo school for awhile, till I can remember how it's done. If I have to, I'll uninstall all the mods and use that TDC map on ezmode till I'm sure I know how to set everything.

You know what I think? I think Ubisoft really blew it with SH5. Why didn't they simply upgrade Silent Hunter 3 with modern graphics and the ability to move around the boat? Why didn't they leave the interface basically the same so that the hardcore types could do their thing?

Instead, they made a graphically pretty game that is not much fun to play, that is my opinion. Today I was thinking about downloading a non-steam version that I might be able to mod and I thought "to hell with it".

If or when the modding community can make it as good as Silent Hunter 3 I might consider doing that but I can certainly live without the hassle for the time being. Ubisoft has disappointed me, if you want to know the truth. I had really high expectations for that game that were nowhere close to being fulfilled. :( Your mileage may vary.

One of the download places I checked had "Tages" as DRM on their version and the other didn't say anything about DRM, so I decided to keep my ten bucks in my pocket. I would happily buy a copy from Amazon to help out Subsim, but Amazon, in their infinite wisdom, won't take Paypal as a form of payment, or at least they didn't last time I checked.

When I check out BigWalleye's links I'm also going to start getting ready for the voice thing. If I can get it to work, that is going to be sooooo cool. :)

Well, for me there is not that much left to talk about. I'm not doing the time compression thing while I am still getting some skills back and reading the literature, but hopefully I will have a clue how to shoot a torpedo properly within the next couple of days and then I can actually start to play!

In the next little while I think I am going to load up the sound mods. You know, not only for the gramaphone for immersion, but it seems to me that there were one or two around that actually work to identify and track the target with passive sonar. Fun fun fun!

I have only a few goals for awhile. The first of course, is to survive as long as possible. Second is to be able to get a decent solution, fast. The third is to be able to prosecute an attack using nothing but passive sonar, I think that is going to be a good skill to have later on in the war. Unlike the guys who did it for real, I have more than one chance to learn to get it right.

Wassail. :salute:

werwulf
08-20-13, 05:13 PM
You know what else I think? I wish there was a way to reward all the modders who have put so much time and effort into making Silent Hunter 3 a better game. I know I can say "Thank you", I just wish I could buy them a beer, at the very least.

In the meantime, Silent Hunter 3 modders, Thank you.

BigWalleye
08-20-13, 07:55 PM
I know I can say "Thank you", just wish I could buy them a beer, at the very least.

Hey! Now there's an idea! Need a SubSIm con, and we could all stand the modders to a round. (Or two....) Prosit, guys!

BTW, Hitman's Optics optics (1.5 and 6x, 7x UZO) and graticles are modeled on surviving historical prototypes, so the view is a simulation of what was actually used in some front boats.

werwulf
08-21-13, 06:05 AM
Many thanks BigWalleye! I got SH3Speech working ok, now I just need to learn to use the program effectively. This is my mod list at the moment, everything is working more or less, now it's a matter of learning and tweaking till everything is just so:

TMTv2
GWX - 16km atmosphere
Thomsen's sound pack V.32cg
Hitman's Optics for GWX3 v.1
GWX - Setkeys
SH3Speech_GWX

My game is built on a GWX base using JSGME and SH3 Commander and the 4Gb patch is installed into SH3.exe in the Steam directory.

I tried to figure out AOB on my own, no joy, so I fired up Mobo and got that set a little bit. I did watch some math and geometry programs on Youtube, but it is a lot easier just to let Mobo do the work.

I'm going to keep watching those math programs and researching until I can get AOB on my own, but that is probably going to take awhile. Eventually I hope to be able to do that on the nav map, using U-Jagd tools, using Mobo and by good old mark2 eyeball.

I only have one way to get range at the moment and I have to use the Obs scope to do it. I set up a little spreadsheet to get range and time to impact on all three torp speeds, it'll probably need to be tweaked a bit but it's pretty accurate at the moment.

I think I can do target speed two or three ways already, so not much need for too much work there. Slowly, I am learning to get good solutions and while I'm doing that I'm learning the procedures for doing that.

FUN! :k_confused:

There's actually quite a bit to manage here. I've got a couple of keyboards to use, a couple of mice, a couple of monitors and a CH Throttle. I suppose I could use the CH fighterstick and pedals for something, but I really think that's getting pretty close to overkill. It's already easy enough to get confused and type on the wrong keyboard, with sometimes interesting results.

For everyone, if you haven't tried Mobo yet, wow I would really strongly recommend it as a great program and it's in the Subsim downloads in utilities. The learning curve is a bit steep but it makes it pretty easy to plan things. They had maneuvering boards and slide rules in the '40's, so I don't consider using that program cheating at all. Everything you can do using that program, you can do with a maneuvering board, pencil, slide rule and map tools when you know how.

I went to torpedo school again for awhile today and practiced nailing the tramp steamer using all my toys. It's fun! If I can, tomorrow I'm going to see if I can learn to shoot a moving target from the initial position, then if I can get that going then the next step the next day is to learn to do the solution while the sub is moving.

So about three days from now I might be able to try the convoy in Torpedo school and if I can pass that one I'll be ready for the North Atlantic. So this is Wednesday, maybe by next Monday I might be a little qualified and have things set to work efficiently.

BigWalleye, I want to say "Thank you" again. Thank you! :salute: Especially for the SH3Speech links, I doubt that I would have been able to find that program on my own. It worked like a dream right from the start, a really easy install.

I am having FUN! :subsim: I realize all the Veterans here have no problem doing things but writing about things helps me stay focused, even if it might not be very interesting for the Vets.

Now, I'm going to relax on the bridge of U45, steaming 10 knots @ 345 True for an hour or so before I catch some sleep.

BigWalleye
08-21-13, 06:44 AM
Great news, werwulf! Especially glad you're having fun! That's what it's all about.

And you are most welcome. Please pay it forward when you have the chance. That's what makes SubSim great.

Glad sh3speech worked out for you. I've been using it for over a year and wouldn't play without it. But most players seem to shun it. Don't understand why.

I cheat! I use the iMoBoard app on my tablet. Lets my plotting party do their job!:) But since I am currently playing NYGM rather than GWX, I get more plotting information anyway. Very handy with GWX though. I also have a DIY set of hand-held angriffscheibe and RAOBF. The RAOBF makes finding ranges and AOBs much faster. I made one using the .tga files from U-Jagd v1.3.1 and adjusted it for 6x optics. It will do speed, too.

Good luck and good hunting. I look forward to reading the report of your first war patrol.

werwulf
08-23-13, 05:24 AM
Yay! I found a treasure!

In MaGuiFinal, there is a tutorials folder with all the math anyone could ever need for finding solutions! For math challenged people such as myself this is wonderful, because it points the way to the background information necessary to know, to comprehend Makman94's equations.

There is also a folder that gives step by step instructions for a straight 90 degree shot! That information alone will save me countless hours practicing at torpedo school. Slowly, slowly, it is all coming together again!

For nublets like me, learning or relearning how to make a proper manual solution, this information is priceless and will save days, or weeks, or months of time getting back up to speed.

Thank you Makman94! :salute:

Wassail! :subsim:

Aktungbby
08-23-13, 12:00 PM
Missed that you are perusing a "poetic edda"; A new book, just out, is of the greatest interest, "Song of the Viking". Details the socio-political impact of Icelandic sagas by Snorri Sturlsen from which Tolkien borrowed almost exclusively and completely to create his immortal trilogy. King, later St. OLaf, kept three EDDA poets at hand to record his 'heroic' passing, sword in hand. Unfortunately the shieldwall was thin that day, and Olaf and the poets died together----combat reporting, then as now, is a hazardous profession, no doubt they wassail in Valhalla!:arrgh!:

werwulf
08-24-13, 08:59 PM
I'm too embarrassed to tell you how many times I flunked torpedo school today. :cry:

But each time I did I learned at least one new thing, so maybe it wasn't a total waste. Maybe I will be able to do better tomorrow.

Wassail.:salute:

werwulf
09-19-13, 12:20 PM
Wow, there is lots of stuff happening in my life in the past little while, so much so that I haven't been able to spend as much time gaming as I would like. I am going to have to let go of SH3 for awhile.

In my travels on the net I came across a pretty good voice command program.

In my Silent Hunter game I have been using SH3Speech and it works fine, but I couldn't find a way to configure it.

The program I found that works pretty good is named VoiceAttack and it is configureable, meaning you can use it for pretty near any game you play. The software costs $8.00 but is completely worth it, in my opinion. You can get a trial version for free to check it out at http://www.voiceattack.com/

It is kind of a shame to jump in and then have to jump out, but such is life. I am signing out with this post, maybe when I can play again I'll do the necro thing, or start a new thread.

In the meantime, all is well here and I trust the same is true for you.

Wassail.
Snjarulfr.

flag4
09-19-13, 04:06 PM
nice to see Ya! :up:

werwulf
09-23-13, 04:25 AM
Wow, after all these years, I have finally reached my limit. I'm switching my network over to Linux as I write, Windows has finally ticked me off enough to make the change.

I''m tired of being a slave to micro$oft.

When I can't delete registry entries, when I can't delete drivers, because windows is so "helpful" it's only a matter of time till I reach the limit. I have been hating windows for about 18 years now, and I have finally had enough. Really, who controls my system? Is it me, or is it micro$oft? I know what my answer is.

See you on the bright side.

:)

Wassail.

Redbear
09-23-13, 10:09 AM
Welcome bBack and good hunting!

desertstriker
09-23-13, 03:02 PM
Welcome back to subsim Herr Kaluen:Kaleun_Salute: