PDA

View Full Version : Eighth Grade Exam From 1912 Surfaces

vienna
08-12-13, 03:07 PM
Thought some of you might find this a bit interesting:

http://www.eonline.com/news/447942/eighth-grade-exam-from-1912-surfaces-are-you-smarter-than-a-middle-schooler-from-100-years-ago

The approximate age range for those students would be about 13-14 years of age, just before entering a four-year high school. I genuinely doubt there would be many students of that age today who would handle the test with any ease. I have long decried the decline of education in recent times. I was lucky enough to have had my early education, up to 8th grade, in and old-line Catholic Jesuit school with a classical educational curriculum. The amount of knowledge we were expected to learn would be unbelievable to todays students and parents, yet, learn it we did and with an atmosphere of old-school Catolic discipline...

Today, schools have rather lax discipline, educational expectations are inclined to the lowest common student level, and expectations are therefore equally low. One of my exes is a school teaher and has, in the past, told me stories about the ordeals she has had to endure at the hands of inept or uncaring administrators, out of control student who seem to be beyond discipline, and parent who, when confronted with the failings and misbehavior of their students, are most often inclined to balme the teachers or the school rather than take responsibility for the little monsters they brought into the world. While many extoll the virtues of "modern education", very few of them seem to be able to explain why the "old", "outdated" methods seem to have produced far better results and better students (if not better people) than the new methods whose results have been rapidly declining test scores, grade averages, and general discipline. Maybe "touchy-feely", "I'm OK, You're OK", "Kumbaya" isn't really working and we need a new (old?) solution...

[steps down off soap box, goes for a pint...]

<O>

Sailor Steve
08-12-13, 04:27 PM
That's a tough one. I couldn't get a lot of them without being able to look them up.

Jimbuna
08-12-13, 04:30 PM
Far too clever for me :doh:

vienna
08-12-13, 04:52 PM
Tellingly, I probably could have done well if I had taken that test when I was in eighth grade (1964-1965). I wish I could still remember a lot of what I learned back then...

<O>

Wolferz
08-12-13, 06:09 PM
Many pre-school children in the United States were shown this image and asked; "Which way is the bus travelling?"
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Wolferz_2007/cid_F2546183B4F24C55A246C0690B61745BshewolfPC_zps5 0f04f45.jpg

Do you know the answer?
96% of the kids got it right.

I could pass the 1912 exam..... if it was open book. :O:

the_tyrant
08-12-13, 06:34 PM
I'm not impressed to be honest. This stuff is mainly trivia that has little practical use in modern society.

Modern school is tailored towards teaching skills, whereas education back then was more targeted towards teaching knowledge. Making students memorize facts is no longer an effective use of time in modern education.

Allow me to explain.

When I was in high school, history class was focused on teaching us analytical skills. We didn't have to memorize trivial facts like the date Hitler was born or anything. Because everyone knows that if you needed to know an exact fact, you can just find it on google in 5 seconds. There is no need to devote the majority of time spent in class to memorize specific facts.

Instead, we were taught to analyze historical events and current news. There is no need to memorize historical dates, it takes seconds to find it nowadays.

The same mentality is changing the way every course is taught. Why bother memorizing chemical formulas when the time is better spent teaching students how to balance chemical equations better? Why make programming students memorize the API, when the time is better spent teaching students logic and algorithms?

It all comes to this, 100 years ago, it was difficult to find facts. If you did not memorize a significant amount in your brain, you would spend a lot of time flipping through books and heading down to the library to find the facts that you need.

Now, almost every piece of human knowledge ever is accessible at my fingertips. So the focus of modern education should be teaching students the skills they need to use those facts.

Cybermat47
08-12-13, 08:59 PM
I hope I don't get stuff like that this year :o

Red October1984
08-12-13, 09:36 PM
I hope I don't get stuff like that this year :o

The sad truth (in my experience), is that 8th grade is a joke.

It's an exact repeat of 7th grade in all the core subjects. Basically, the "Senior Year" of middle school. Nobody cares, there's little or no homework, and you'll go to school and running out of ways to goof off.

We took up the idea of playing hearts and blackjack in our free time. :yeah:

You don't have to worry about anything until your Freshmen year...which was horrible for me. :dead:

High School is a different ball game. To some, it's great....and to others like me, it has distinct highs and lows.

Wolferz
08-12-13, 10:12 PM
I had an electronics instructor who told us you only need to know how to find the information you need, when you need it, though we still had to commit electronic equations to memory. Memory in your scientific calculator that is.:03:

Even so, you still needed to know what equations did what. Or who was buried in Ohms' Tomb.:har:

Armistead
08-12-13, 10:19 PM
I had an electronics instructor who told us you only need to know how to find the information you need, when you need it, though we still had to commit electronic equations to memory. Memory in your scientific calculator that is.:03:

Even so, you still needed to know what equations did what. Or who was buried in Ohms' Tomb.:har:

Who is buried in Ohms' Tomb? I would like to know...

Wolferz
08-12-13, 10:30 PM
Who is buried in Ohms' Tomb? I would like to know...
George Simon Ohm IIRC.
Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Get your battery and CHARGE!
Resistance is futile... unless you want to drop some voltage.