PDA

View Full Version : Torpedoes in Falklands / Malvinas 1982

Marcantilan
08-07-13, 08:06 AM
Well,

Ended an essay about submarine weapons (torpedoes an Royal Navy SubHarpoons) in the 1982 conflict.

It is here (in Spanish, but Google translator does miracles): http://www.elsnorkel.com/2013/08/listas-para-el-combate-armas-submarinas.html

The article is not short, but in a nutshell, the info is here:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5673/cvfd.jpg

In my opinion, torpedoes in the Falklands War / Guerra de Malvinas had the same problems they had in the beginning of both world wars: inmature technology.

Regards!

Herr-Berbunch
08-07-13, 08:37 AM
I'm just about ¾ way through Harry Benson's SCRAM!, about the UK helicopter force at that time. Seems the problem was not just torpedoes but most missile systems of the day had a great failure rate.

An interesting read, thanks for writing and sharing. :yeah:

Jimbuna
08-07-13, 09:16 AM
I'm looking forward to translating your article.

The commander of Conqueror had more faith in WWII era technology because there was less that could go wrong and you got more 'bang for the buck' plus the fact the MK24 Tigerfish homing torpedo had never previously been used extensively in training.

As for missiles, the software problems of the Sea Wolf system were never ironed out till years after the Falklands conflict.

If anyone knows any serviceman that were aboard Sea Cat equipped vessels, ask them if the missile ever recorded an acceptable level of hits during its service career.

Some may even say it never hit anything but personally I think that is a bit harsh because One confirmed "kill" of an Argentine aircraft is directly attributed to this missile from over 80 launches, when on the 25 May HMS Yarmouth shot down an A-4C Skyhawk (C-319) flown by Teniente Tomás Lucero.

Herr-Berbunch
08-07-13, 10:05 AM
Also enjoyed your Soviéticos en Malvinas article. :up:

Marcantilan
08-07-13, 04:43 PM
I'm just about ¾ way through Harry Benson's SCRAM!, about the UK helicopter force at that time. Seems the problem was not just torpedoes but most missile systems of the day had a great failure rate.

An interesting read, thanks for writing and sharing. :yeah:

Thanks!

SCRAM! is a good read. I am going to start Down South (more Fleet Air Arm helos) in the following days.

Marcantilan
08-07-13, 04:44 PM
I'm looking forward to translating your article.

The commander of Conqueror had more faith in WWII era technology because there was less that could go wrong and you got more 'bang for the buck' plus the fact the MK24 Tigerfish homing torpedo had never previously been used extensively in training.

It looks like they were afraid of the Tigerfish.

Anyway, a real combat situation is not time for a loose weapon looking for a target...less for a circular run

Oberon
08-07-13, 06:14 PM
Goes to show how lucky we were that the San Luis had her torpedo defect, considering how many resources we put into trying to track her and her sister boat down, it gives you an insight into how worried the RN were about the SSKs. It could have been a game changer. Fortunes of war and all that.

Fantastic research Marcantilan, and very well displayed. :up:

Jimbuna
08-08-13, 04:36 AM
Thanks!

SCRAM! is a good read. I am going to start Down South (more Fleet Air Arm helos) in the following days.

Have you read Secrets of the Conqueror?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Conqueror-Britains-Submarine-Prebble/dp/B00C6ORDYO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375954530&sr=1-2&keywords=secrets+of+the+conqueror

Marcantilan
08-08-13, 10:08 AM
Have you read Secrets of the Conqueror?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Conqueror-Britains-Submarine-Prebble/dp/B00C6ORDYO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375954530&sr=1-2&keywords=secrets+of+the+conqueror

Yes, bought it as soon was published. A very interesting book.

That book, Sink the Belgrano and a chapter in "We Come Unseen" are, today, THE books about British submarines and the war.

Regards!

Jimbuna
08-08-13, 12:07 PM
Yes, bought it as soon was published. A very interesting book.

That book, Sink the Belgrano and a chapter in "We Come Unseen" are, today, THE books about British submarines and the war.

Regards!

Agreed :yep:

Wreford-Brown
08-08-13, 12:16 PM
It looks like they were afraid of the Tigerfish.

Anyway, a real combat situation is not time for a loose weapon looking for a target...less for a circular run

I've read 'Clear the Bridge!' about the USS Tang - sunk by one of her own torpedoes...

Marcantilan
01-20-14, 02:49 PM
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1513272_609243602464904_1849839334_n.jpg

Link (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/flolq7mk6u2y028/ausgabe-Enero%20Febrero%202014%20-Articulo%20elSnorkel.pdf?dl=1&token_hash=AAEug2mljdsAoNoMab3fUhC6GrKc03ijVFFEYmj d5JXr4A) (German)

Auftauchen! (the magazine of the German Submariners Association) published part of the article on its current (January / February 2014) issue.

The second part, on the next issue.

Regards!

Catfish
01-20-14, 03:13 PM
Hello Mercantilan,
thank you very much for this interesting article !
I will be looking out for the second german print, in paper :up:

Greetings,
Catfish

soopaman2
01-21-14, 09:45 PM
Now this was 1982 tech, right?:hmmm:

Anyone know how torps are today?

You would think with GPS, and Satellites, and drones, they would be pretty much cruise missiles in water at this point.

We got cruise missiles, that can hit a tank in the turret hatch from 1000 miles away, but our torps still suck?

I refuse to believe that!:salute:

Oberon
01-21-14, 10:15 PM
Now this was 1982 tech, right?:hmmm:

Anyone know how torps are today?

You would think with GPS, and Satellites, and drones, they would be pretty much cruise missiles in water at this point.

We got cruise missiles, that can hit a tank in the turret hatch from 1000 miles away, but our torps still suck?

I refuse to believe that!:salute:

Go look up 'supercavitating torpedoes'. :03:

soopaman2
01-21-14, 11:23 PM
Go look up 'supercavitating torpedoes'. :03:

I did and found some names for a few nations, the USA had an unnamed Prototype.

Now either the USA sucks and are behind, and scared to admit we do not have one, or we got one so epic we refuse to tell anyone about it.:)

What I found in common is that they are all more underwater missiles than true torpedoes, or what we subsimmers are used to launching from our virtual boats.

Das Boot type warfare may be far and gone.